Author Topic: Wobluda Remake  (Read 42445 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Wobluda Remake
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Okay, so I really, really want to do a remake of wobluda_fix. The map has awesome gameplay, but it's standards of appearance are low.

I remade the base area, just to show you what I could do to the whole map. I emailed obi and sent him a message but I have yet to receive a reply to get permission to remake the map :( So, do I have to wait for permission before I can continue making? Or could I get 'community' permission? I didn't notice any form of copyright notice on the wobluda release so...

Anyway, I am re sculpting wobluda and I AM adjusting certain small parts of flow here and there with terrain, I think about my terrain hard. Also, as Rick correctly pointed out, I can ALWAYS go back and change some terrain if the public wants a certain part changed, there will be BETAs, I want you guys to decide how you want it to flow/what parts you think don't go so well. However, like the original wobluda, there will always be somewhere to improve. ALL the proper jumps will work and I will try to maybe make some new ones too. The map may go towards a snowy scene, mixed with grass, to make the ice jump actually more natural and not random.

Here's some screenshots :)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:05:21 AM by JordanMRichards »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Wobluda Remake
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
If you do end up remaking wobluda, make sure to spread out the spawn spots to minimize camping.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
Make it so you don't randomly stop at the big hill to ice as well.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
looks really interessting and good.
btw obi aka lalabela is often online at crack the pgp

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
If you do end up remaking wobluda, make sure to spread out the spawn spots to minimize camping.

Yep :) But I also need to make sure the spawns are not TOO different, otherwise gameplay for matches will be bad (if you get a BAD spawn)

looks really interessting and good.
btw obi aka lalabela is often online at crack the pgp

Great, I will look out for him, thanks matze!

Make it so you don't randomly stop at the big hill to ice as well.

Will do

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
Should get you in the mapping committee if you're interested.  We actually started a wobluda remake a while back.  It's a clean from-scratch version with all the brushes properly aligned and stuff.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
No, dont remake it! Selda did a good thing with fixing it, thats enough.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
Should get you in the mapping committee if you're interested.  We actually started a wobluda remake a while back.  It's a clean from-scratch version with all the brushes properly aligned and stuff.

It would be a great honer and pleasure to be part of the mapping committee!
I am confident with my remake of wobluda, would I have to use the one the committee started already? I work better from scratch.

No, dont remake it! Selda did a good thing with fixing it, thats enough.
Could you give some reasons to why it shouldn't be re-maked? It's one of the most popular matching maps/pub maps, I think the most played maps that look non-appealing to newer players need to be re-maked. Makes the game look more professional.

I will not be altering the layout :) just the appearance.
The classic wobluda gameplay will be exactly the same, jumps and all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:38:50 AM by JordanMRichards »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
First thoughts I HATE wobluda! But this looks nice I'd like to have a chat with you on this JMR I have a few ideas mainly detail ideas.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »
First thoughts I HATE wobluda! But this looks nice I'd like to have a chat with you on this JMR I have a few ideas mainly detail ideas.

Cool, thanks Clipz :) I will be going out in about 2 hours,  Maybe PM me them on this forum. :)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
I'm actually working right now ill be home in three hours probably

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Why? wobluda is fine.

Fix maps like daylight_b1, insight_b3, zpar_beta11, etc.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
Why? wobluda is fine.

Fix maps like daylight_b1, insight_b3, zpar_beta11, etc.

I am not fixing wobluda, I'm remaking it :)
Just like when DT remaked sassault.

But after this, I could remake maps like daylight_b1 etc too, to give them a professional look to newbies. (I say to newbies because a lot of experienced players don't mind how maps look, but new players can get put off by non-professional)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Well, i think DT remade maps like pforest/sassault basically because these maps had potential, but their gameplay wasnt to the fullest. Wobluda on the other hand has great gameplay and looks fine too. IMHO, it would be better idea to remake macabre, because its gameplay isnt as good as it could be. Or if you want remake suggestion, pls twiling remake, make it happen! That map has so much potential.

Also on the point of remaking something, remaking a map should be more like "you take the way map is played and make new map based on the gameplay", what you are doing there (at least from screens so far) is just copying wobluda and slightly adjusting its terrain. Have a look at pforest for example, its gameplay is same but the map looks totally diferent, you can recognize it just thanks to the paths. While in your "remake" i dont need to even look at the whole map and clearly say its wobluda. BTW, the reason you can only adjust terrain is a prove that wobluda is fine and doesnt scream "remake me" unlike other maps.

And if you wanna argue that you are only making visual remake, then i am sorry to say that i think you are only wasting time, which you could spend on something more useful (like remaking macabre/twiling/daylight_b1). I think it wont get played much, because it will alter the gameplay too much and people will refuse to play it.

Of course it could work out, but you would have to be rly smart about it and think about many new possible jumps there and if these jumps are good idea or not. Take for example skygliding, simple think but it shifted prolandr gameplay like crazy and made tons of new jumps available, some for the better, some for the worse. So, if you still wanna go for it, be my guest but be prepared that it all might be just waste of time, becuase people wont accept it. I personally dont think its a good idea, but if you do, then good luck there!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Wobluda doesn't look that great.  The walls are rock, but they're all flat with 90 degree angles.  The terrain is wedge shaped.  It just doesn't look natural.  The point of this type of remake is to keep the gameplay that is already proven and liked by a lot of players and enhance the visuals.  It should effectively be a drop-in replacement for the old wobluda.  This is the idea of the official maplist.  The remakes DT has done have completely changed the maps with new routes and whatnot.

JMR: I've added you to the map committee group.  You can take a look at what's already been done and perhaps add your base area in there.

stomper

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
Well, i think DT remade maps like pforest/sassault basically because these maps had potential, but their gameplay wasnt to the fullest. Wobluda on the other hand has great gameplay and looks fine too. IMHO, it would be better idea to remake macabre, because its gameplay isnt as good as it could be. Or if you want remake suggestion, pls twiling remake, make it happen! That map has so much potential.

Also on the point of remaking something, remaking a map should be more like "you take the way map is played and make new map based on the gameplay", what you are doing there (at least from screens so far) is just copying wobluda and slightly adjusting its terrain. Have a look at pforest for example, its gameplay is same but the map looks totally diferent, you can recognize it just thanks to the paths. While in your "remake" i dont need to even look at the whole map and clearly say its wobluda. BTW, the reason you can only adjust terrain is a prove that wobluda is fine and doesnt scream "remake me" unlike other maps.

And if you wanna argue that you are only making visual remake, then i am sorry to say that i think you are only wasting time, which you could spend on something more useful (like remaking macabre/twiling/daylight_b1). I think it wont get played much, because it will alter the gameplay too much and people will refuse to play it.

Of course it could work out, but you would have to be rly smart about it and think about many new possible jumps there and if these jumps are good idea or not. Take for example skygliding, simple think but it shifted prolandr gameplay like crazy and made tons of new jumps available, some for the better, some for the worse. So, if you still wanna go for it, be my guest but be prepared that it all might be just waste of time, becuase people wont accept it. I personally dont think its a good idea, but if you do, then good luck there!

You arguments are quite convincing to me tbh. At that point of view i totally agree with you.

But as JMR want's to say, there could be EVEN MORE potential of the map, if it gets a "new face". (+1 from my side)
Making some more natural terrain without destroying the game-play and maybe even some new details could turn out as an big succes imo.
and i don't think it would be a waste of time for jmr... as far as i know him he really enjoys making maps :)

I think we should gibe this project a go, or wait for some more progress. JMR could upload some screenshots of new parts he made, the community could have a look and could say "yes looks good, keep on going" or give feedback of what could be done better or different.

but thats just my opinion. :)

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
I am not fixing wobluda, I'm remaking it :)
Just like when DT remaked sassault.

DT remakes looks like a whole new map.

The walls are rock, but they're all flat
Like 90% of all pb maps.

Just work on other maps. wobluda_fix is playable and popular. Thats enough.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
It's popular to who? Newbs? How about the older community that hates it. Make it more appealing maybe they like it?

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 06:13:43 PM »
Make it more appealing maybe they like it?

Not possible (for me).

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
You hate wobluda also terrorist? My reason is I hate mid, mid is where action should happen and mid due to ice... You can just jump right through or fall into a sewer full of guess what!!?! Ice!!