Author Topic: Wobluda Remake  (Read 42516 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Wobluda Remake
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »
Water looks pretty cool.
Some ideas i had when i saw it:
1)You could add small waterfall at the end (to base) of the tunnel so the water disapears somewhere. (I mean at the end of water, not the tunnel, so the waterfall wouldnt be even possible to see from base, for example hole in the ground like is in oth on base-high). You could cover it with planks so ti doesnt affect gameplay, also you could arrange the planks so they form ramp at the end, so you dont have to make ramp of the ramp.
2)Although, this one would affect gameplay slightly. At the other end of the tunnel (to mid) you could add some fallen planks so they block some lines...now that i think about it, its not that good idea, because it would be harder to make water>mid jump. Well at least something to chew on, i will leave it here.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
The cave that was once a sewer... now with real lighting...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:07:03 PM by JordanMRichards »

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »
Oh my goodness! You [and Clipz] made the sewer look like it's not a sewer!

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

looks really nice!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:21:44 PM by MatzeMR »

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
If you use jitspoes textures, you should remake almost every map..

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
If you use jitspoes textures, you should remake almost every map..
If he has enough commitment.

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
Why is in a cave ice?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
Why is in a cave ice?

Well, I have only two options...
ice or water.
The cave needs to be slippery to allow the same jumps and gameplay for the original wobluda.

Whichever the public wants, I'll do, so ice or water guys?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
Why is in a cave ice?
Because if hes making this as realistic and as professional as he can ice is needed. YOU CANT SLIDE ON WATER. I've already explained this to jmr and he understood.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
those lanterns look totally amaze balls... good job

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
those lanterns look totally amaze balls... good job

Yeah who ever had that idea is a genius!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
jmr: did you look at the map committee version?  We already redid the sewers...

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
jmr: did you look at the map committee version?  We already redid the sewers...
I really like what he has done to it to he completely honest.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
Well, the visuals are very different...

Here's what we had:

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »
Eww... brown sewer water...
Where are the awesome sewer lights?!!! D:

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »
Well, the visuals are very different...

Here's what we had:
JMR's is better. Although that one is still a huge improvement over the original wobluda.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
I don't get why there is weirdly shaped dirt on the wall, with snow on the ground. :P

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
Remaking the terrain changes the map. The reason the map flows so well is the terrain. Over-doing it will change the flow significantly, even if it appears to be minor details. The way you ramp off of things just works on that map.

I am not a fan of wobluda, but if you're going to change it you can't just add a bunch of terrain changes to make it look nicer. That terrain is what makes the map flow. This map has been probably the most played map across the pub/competitive scene for the last 2 years, and should only be modified visually. This means, nothing should have the chance to alter the game play. Terrain is a HUGE dictator of gameplay, and this terrain alters it a lot.

Also, Wobluda is not a map that needs to be remade. It's played a lot. If could be visually better - but visually implies nothing gameplay wise can change. Focus on a map that has potential to be played, rather than a map that's widely liked. Maybe it's the simplistic nature of Wobluda that makes players like it. It's easy to understand, good flow, good amount of jumps, and decent gameplay. A lot of mappers, namely Cusoman, focus so much on appearance that he forgets gameplay. DT was the only one who managed to have both gameplay and detail in his maps - so please don't alter terrain on Wobluda - even though I don't like the map, it'll turn one of the most played maps in DP into something that may not get played. Improving visuals of a map doesn't always imply people will like it more. Work on a map that gets complaints.

FYI - you want a game to grow? Ignore this argument about what the "old players" want. Those old players are off in college, or having families, lacking time for the game. Promote for the majority, and the majority for the last 2 years likes Wobluda as is. I hate the map, but people love it. Leave it as is. The game isn't at a visual level itself to complain about that map.

EDIT: Another example, the dirt in the sewer on JMR screenshot also changes the map. You hit that, you lose speed. That wasn't part of the original. That detail changes the flow. Slightly, sure, but the sewer being ramped on the sides let you ramp up to avoid a line/get a kill. The unintentional stuff like that added gameplay.

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »
Because if hes making this as realistic and as professional as he can ice is needed. YOU CANT SLIDE ON WATER. I've already explained this to jmr and he understood.
You can slide on water with a slippery ground too. Not so much like on ice, but we play DP2, no one cares.
I prefer the dpmc sewer.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »
You can slide on water with a slippery ground too. Not so much like on ice, but we play DP2, no one cares.
I prefer the dpmc sewer.

its JMRs remake so he will take what he prefers