Author Topic: Wobluda Remake  (Read 42474 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Wobluda Remake
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
1) Nobody finds anything in the maps they create to be "random" - cause they have a purpose for it. This doesn't mean it's not random. But once it's released and people can run around in it, you'll get real feedback to it. But from the screenshots, it does look random.

2) I think if you're doing anything to change gameplay, then you should do more than visuals/terrain. There's certainly other things in Wobluda (path wise) that can be improved. There's a reason this map is loved or hated. If you truly want to make an impact - make it so everyone will love it. The people who "hate" the map isn't a cause of the visuals - it's the mid. Find a way to fix that, rather than just trying to make it look better. If you're going to spend the time do work on this, go all out and actually improve everything about the map.

3) I know of some people who got told not to remake maps without permission before, that being said I think it's stupid. Let's be real, most maps are inspired from something without permission. Remaking maps should be allowed as frequently as you want, and if the maps better it'll get played. But it's a waste of time to do if it's not a real remake.

4) I'm aware of what you're doing, and I think it's a waste unless you seek to fix the problems for those who hate the map (which I do). Terrain/Visuals helps new players, cause it looks nicer. Sure. But, the mid of that map could use some serious reworking. As I said before, people love or hate it.

5) You refused to accurately respond to my posts till now, you brought it as off topic as myself. I have an ego, you're ignorant. Get over it. My criticism is still more helpful than 90% of what people in this community give. None of my posts about maps have anything ego-related, my posts in other sections do. I'm not a good mapper, I've made a few average/below average maps, so I have no reason to be arrogant about it.

----

As for Omni/Skyro - I said they aren't great mappers, and they aren't experienced to "know" gameplay. But, you've considered yourself a good mapper when you released your first map(s), saying they were great. Look at them now, compare them to your current maps. You've improved. But compare your current ones to DT, and there's still a lot of room for improvement. Same with many mappers. Stay humble, and you get humble feedback.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
1) Nobody finds anything in the maps they create to be "random" - cause they have a purpose for it. This doesn't mean it's not random. But once it's released and people can run around in it, you'll get real feedback to it. But from the screenshots, it does look random.
Again, I said 'although it may seem random'...'put a lot of thought and time into it'. My point is, you should't be giving feedback on what you think that terrain will do to gameplay, you should do that later. You have contradicted yourself here, 'real feedback' is all I want.
2) I think if you're doing anything to change gameplay, then you should do more than visuals/terrain. There's certainly other things in Wobluda (path wise) that can be improved. There's a reason this map is loved or hated. If you truly want to make an impact - make it so everyone will love it. The people who "hate" the map isn't a cause of the visuals - it's the mid. Find a way to fix that, rather than just trying to make it look better. If you're going to spend the time do work on this, go all out and actually improve everything about the map.
Again, totally not understanding my point. I am not the best in explaining things, but you clearly LOVE to state the obvious to make it out as if you are actually contributing to that 'real feedback' :D ;) If you talk to clipz, he'll tell you himself that I have been disguising mid with him and asking him why he doesn't like it. I will try to improve gameplay, but keep the idea of wobluda the same... Why do I have to repeat myself? Have I explained it badly? If I have, then how is it others can understand? meh, nevertheless, it's annoying having to repeat myself to someone so 'legendary'.
3) I know of some people who got told not to remake maps without permission before, that being said I think it's stupid. Let's be real, most maps are inspired from something without permission. Remaking maps should be allowed as frequently as you want, and if the maps better it'll get played. But it's a waste of time to do if it's not a real remake.
Some maps are there to be left with, for example, pforest. It looks fine, great gameplay, a remake would be worthless. What I think you fail to understand, or fail to explain correctly, is what a 'real remake' is. You've said a lot of things. But ultimately are just echoing what I say in a different way. Please stop this, it's non-predictive. I am here to re-build the map from scratch, to improve the map, take gameplay requests(if everyone agrees with them) but mainly improve the visuals.
4) I'm aware of what you're doing, and I think it's a waste unless you seek to fix the problems for those who hate the map (which I do). Terrain/Visuals helps new players, cause it looks nicer. Sure. But, the mid of that map could use some serious reworking. As I said before, people love or hate it.
You can't please everyone on this game. There are even those who dislike DT's maps, they prefer plain, simple, "straight-wall" maps. I try to please the majority. As I have said already, I am already disgussing changing certain, small elements of gameplay. But remember, there are people who really like mid as well, adjusting mid may make them not want to play the remade version. For example, matzemr, I told him mid may be almost exactly the same gameplay and he said that was good. So, you know, can't please everyone, therefore, your point is worthless, not adding anything. In a sense, you are once again, echoing what I am doing, in a twisted manor.

5) You refused to accurately respond to my posts till now, you brought it as off topic as myself. I have an ego, you're ignorant. Get over it. My criticism is still more helpful than 90% of what people in this community give. None of my posts about maps have anything ego-related, my posts in other sections do. I'm not a good mapper, I've made a few average/below average maps, so I have no reason to be arrogant about it.
You claim I am ignorant, you are correct in that claim, however, only partially correct. I am ignorant towards you, with certain variables. When I feel that your feedback will not improve my map. Ask omni, I am always looking to improve. I've told him about my countless testing maps I have made and don't publish. I wouldn't say I am arrogant, I'd say I'm cautious of not letting people bring me down as they have in the past. Like when luckie said "Don't make maps, you just can't do it", for example. He called me arrogant for ignoring him, does that make him right? Nope :)
As for Omni/Skyro - I said they aren't great mappers, and they aren't experienced to "know" gameplay. But, you've considered yourself a good mapper when you released your first map(s), saying they were great. Look at them now, compare them to your current maps. You've improved. But compare your current ones to DT, and there's still a lot of room for improvement. Same with many mappers. Stay humble, and you get humble feedback.
Again, the obvious. There's always room to improve. I find it funny how you are the only one here that I haven't had much humble feedback from. I am sorry if I have made you have the perception that I am arrogant, think I am a good mapper etc. I can be a little "defensive" at times, but that's just because of people like you who just try to bring people down. Based off reading threads you've made in the past to people, you are one of those typical haters, that unless you gain something out of what someone else is doing, [e.g ego boost], you will just hate and post flame. I accept that you may have changed from this, but from what I have seen, by my own opinion, you've got a lot of room to improve too ;)  (Again, the obvious.)

I feel like I've wasted a lot of time typing this up, considering that you'll probably reply again and expect me to make another reply like this one, only to find we're going round in circles, not making this project any better. I kindly ask that you withdraw posting in my thread, until I have a bsp file published. Then, if you decide that you have some good, real feedback on gameplay, you can post. But I have had enough of wasting my time with these type of replies, when I have better things to do.

(heavily thinking about it, you won't even gain anything from this map, being as you are now inactive in the game because "LoL > DP", so go play LoL and leave us people alone who will actually see the benefits)

With regards, I state, goodbye myers :)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:11 AM »
Jmr he means remakes should change that map like what dirty taco did to the real protest and real Renoir and what I did from rally to the rally remake, we upgraded both visuals an the game play.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »
Jmr he means remakes should change that map like what dirty taco did to the real protest and real Renoir and what I did from rally to the rally remake, we upgraded both visuals an the game play.

I know exactly what he means and I have replied accordingly. My point is that I am upgrading visuals.. remaking them completely AND upgrading the gameplay for the BETTER in doing so...

EDIT: But he can't judge my gameplay until I release a bsp file. However, any suggestions for paths or what you'd LIKE to see are highly appreciated. It's all well and good saying "gameplay" but people already like the gameplay in wob, that's why it's played so much.

Sometimes I feel like it's pointless replying to some people at all, being as very few seem to read it.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
Sometimes I feel like it's pointless replying to some people at all, being as very few seem to read it.

Welcome to my world! I mean, it took you 6 pages before you actually gave me a real response. And even your most recent response shows you lack intelligence and are trying super hard to act like you're smart. It's laughable. My last response was 100% in response to your map, things you have not stated and should do - and you took it defensively. Do I intimidate you that much little boy?

EDIT: Ok Jitspoe is on a rampage deleting every time I reply, so I'll write it in an edit: IF YOURE GOING TO FAKE A QUOTE JMR TO TRY TO REMEMBER WHAT I WROTE, DO IT PROPERLY. I SAID IF I OPENED UP BSP AND TOOK A excrement ON MY KEYBOARD IT WOULD STILL BE A BETTER MAP THEN ANYTHING YOU DID. WHAT KINDA FGT SAYS WITH REGARDS YOU IDIOT.

Have a nice day friend.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
Welcome to my world! I mean, it took you 6 pages before you actually gave me a real response. And even your most recent response shows you lack intelligence and are trying super hard to act like you're smart. It's laughable.

Not even gonna type this out again... (btw, who mentioned smart in the first place? Not me... :D)
Quote from: JordanMRichards
You claim I am ignorant, you are correct in that claim, however, only partially correct. I am ignorant towards you, with certain variables. When I feel that your feedback will not improve my map. Ask omni, I am always looking to improve. I've told him about my countless testing maps I have made and don't publish. I wouldn't say I am arrogant, I'd say I'm cautious of not letting people bring me down as they have in the past. Like when luckie said "Don't make maps, you just can't do it", for example. He called me arrogant for ignoring him, does that make him right? Nope :)
EDIT:
Quote from: MyeRs
IF I OPENED UP BSP AND TOOK A EXCREMENT ON MY KEYBOARD IT WOULD STILL BE A BETTER MAP THEN ANYTHING YOU DID
Quote from: JordanMRichards
I kindly ask that you withdraw posting in my thread, until I have a bsp file published. Then, if you decide that you have some good, real feedback on gameplay, you can post. But I have had enough of wasting my time with these type of replies, when I have better things to do.

(heavily thinking about it, you won't even gain anything from this map, being as you are now inactive in the game because "LoL > DP", so go play LoL and leave us people alone who will actually see the benefits)

With regards, I state, goodbye myers :)

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
obi doesnt want you to remake his map and i think myers has made the best comments in the last 5 month but unfortunately his posts getting deleted

#nice#try#dontbanmepls

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
obi doesnt want you to remake his map and i think myers has made the best comments in the last 5 month but unfortunately his posts getting deleted

#nice#try#dontbanmepls

If he doesn't want him to remake it then tell him to post here and explain why.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »
That tunnel looks like someone's GI tract, maybe craft the mid exit into a sphincter, make the map more shitty. Visual upgrade or remake, pick one.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
That tunnel looks like someone's GI tract, maybe craft the mid exit into a sphincter, make the map more shitty. Visual upgrade or remake, pick one.

I'm picking both and trying to improve the gameplay. Remake means to make something again, or make something again differently. I'm making wobluda again differently, but with the same wobluda principals.... As I have already explained.

I am re sculpting wobluda and I AM adjusting certain small parts of flow here and there with terrain, I think about my terrain hard. Also, as Rick correctly pointed out, I can ALWAYS go back and change some terrain if the public wants a certain part changed, there will be BETAs, I want you guys to decide how you want it to flow/what parts you think don't go so well. However, like the original wobluda, there will always be somewhere to improve. ALL the proper jumps will work and I will try to maybe make some new ones too. The map may go towards a snowy scene, mixed with grass, to make the ice jump actually more natural and not random.

You have provided no actual visual feedback, the tone of your reply was flame. Feedback gives insight on how you can improve what you have, flame twists what you have and often doesn't suggest improvements.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
JMR, shut up right now because your defense isn't doing anyone any good. Focus on making your wobluda remake because THAT is something that will do many people much good.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
Legitimate feedback:

Why create terrain that is not usable. Look at the best maps of the game, very few of them will have extra bumps and ramps that don't get used. That tunnel is just excessively abstract, highlighted by the clipping wall you added to get rid of getting stuck on it. Protip, if you need to clip off a huge section, it probably isn't a good section. I'm not a good mapper, but I've played enough quake to know good map design when I see it. Take a look at some of the more famous q2 maps, since most paintball maps are kind of stale lately. I think jits posted a q1 map a bit ago that is wonderful, take a glance at it. It's called honey.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
Legitimate feedback:

Why create terrain that is not usable. Look at the best maps of the game, very few of them will have extra bumps and ramps that don't get used. That tunnel is just excessively abstract, highlighted by the clipping wall you added to get rid of getting stuck on it. Protip, if you need to clip off a huge section, it probably isn't a good section. I'm not a good mapper, but I've played enough quake to know good map design when I see it. Take a look at some of the more famous q2 maps, since most paintball maps are kind of stale lately. I think jits posted a q1 map a bit ago that is wonderful, take a glance at it. It's called honey.

To answer your question: I create terrain on the GROUND to be used, every bit of terrain on the ground I make, is there to be used. Walls are there to BLOCK and BOUNCE. Not to walk on, therefore, the clip brushes provide EXACTLY the same sewer gameplay, as the real one, I made my one slightly wider, then clipped off the 'detail only' section.

Also, you'll find on many of DT's maps, small terrain lumps that are there for only detail - there is NOTHING wrong with this. However, I try to stay away from this when it isn't scenery. Terrain, when mapped well, always provides a good combat ground. When you have large open plain grass areas, it can look barren, irl, it would be hard to find grass that is completely flat, unless you were on a sport field.

An example of how I have used terrain to benefit gameplay:
On the hill from spawn, I mapped the terrain, so you can peak over the middle section to shoot/nade out of.

Another example:
In the base_low ditch, I am making terrain that provides higher parts of grass to jump out of the ditch from, providing more of a variety of ways to combat the enemy from the ditch.

Thanks for your feedback, it makes me be extra careful whilst mapping terrain :)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
Actually the sewer game play has changed JMR. In the original wobluda you can ramp up the side of the sewer to avoid lines.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
Actually the sewer game play has changed JMR. In the original wobluda you can ramp up the side of the sewer to avoid lines.

I stand corrected :)

I will work on this so that it is the same.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
JMR when is the first release coming?

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
JMR when is the first release coming?

I'm sorry to say, but I am holding off this remake until I finish my other map I am working on.

Had a long chat with myers on ts3, he thinks it would be a waste of time for me to "partially" remake wobluda.
So after the current map, I will make a whole new wobluda, just like what DT did to pforest. It will be a whole different map, but with the wobluda principals.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
Since when is Myers the staple of the communities thoughts?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
stick with making wobluda look good, it will cause many more arguments and it will be so hard to improve gameplay with everyone agreeing.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
stick with making wobluda look good, it will cause many more arguments and it will be so hard to improve gameplay with everyone agreeing.

The only game play improvement needed is mid. Mid on this maps horrid.