Author Topic: #sPec# Mapping Contest #1  (Read 31974 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: #sPec# Mapping Contest #1
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
I'm sorry for the delay in judging. I will try and post my results sometime this week, probably after Wednesday.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »
30% done with judging.  I think I'm going to wait until I'm completely done before posting anything.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »
30% done with judging.  I think I'm going to wait until I'm completely done before posting anything.
Yeah, I made the mistake of thinking I'd have enough time to do everyone's in a small period of time. I've lost a lot of time this week, but as soon as it hits Sunday, I shall be back on it.

For reference:

Credere (Final Version)
Code: [Select]
Detail - 40/100
Jumps - 50/100
Gameplay - 58/100
Technical Skill - 45/50
Innovation - 10/50

Overall - 203/400

l_bricks3_b3
Detail - 70/100
Jumps - 65/100
Gameplay - 50/100
Technical Skill - 41/50
Innovation - 30/50

Overall - 256/400

sandlandr_b1
Detail - 60/100
Jumps - 77/100
Gameplay - 63/100
Technical Skill - 36/50
Innovation - 5/50

Overall - 241/400

temptare_b3
Detail - 66/100
Jumps - 75/100
Gameplay - 45/100
Technical Skill - 43/50
Innovation - 5/50

Overall - 234/400

cargo_b1
Detail - 88/100
Jumps - 97/100
Gameplay - 61/100
Technical Skill - 40/50
Innovation - 28/50

Overall - 314/400

construction_b1
Detail - 60/100
Jumps - 85/100
Gameplay - 58/100
Technical Skill - 17/50
Innovation - 30/50

Overall - 250/400

spcup_kingdom_b1
Please note I didn't post this to JMR's thread, I have been through it a lot with him, Myers and many other people. If it's needed, I will write it up but I believe this score is fair. The map has improved a lot since b1.
Detail - 77/100
Jumps - 85/100
Gameplay - 84/100
Technical Skill - 40/50
Innovation - 10/50

Overall - 296/400
Edit:
@Omni: When judging, are we judging the latest beta or are we judging the last beta supplied before the end date? As a lot of these maps have been edited since then.  (If we are, could you list the beta numbers so all of us judge the same map, thanks).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:45:08 AM by Rick »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »
Edit:
@Omni: When judging, are we judging the latest beta or are we judging the last beta supplied before the end date? As a lot of these maps have been edited since then.  (If we are, could you list the beta numbers so all of us judge the same map, thanks).
That would be really nice, because some of my older betas really suck :D (I know the new betas suck too, but are way better than the old ones IMO)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
@Omni: When judging, are we judging the latest beta or are we judging the last beta supplied before the end date?

I would assume the beta that was out at the time of the last submission. Judging the latest would just make the deadline useless.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:25 PM »
I would assume the beta that was out at the time of the last submission. Judging the latest would just make the deadline useless.
That's what I was thinking. :)

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2014, 04:51:51 AM »
Credere
The lost bricks 3
Sandlandr_b1 (now sandrush)
Temptare_b3
Spcup_Kingdom b1
Cargo b1
Construction b1

Most maps are still available for download, those that are not I will retrieve. Sorry for the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:55:29 AM by omni »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:53 AM »
Credere B4

credere final Version was released before the deadline. ..

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
You are correct, I made a mistake when checking dates

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »
the final Version will be called b5 because i worked on credere a bit again :D

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Does anyone know when the next mapping contest will be?

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »
If there is going to be one it will be long after this one has been completed.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
Well, here's what I came up with.  Some of the numbers feel a bit weird, but this is going off of the template omni gave me. If anything looks wrong, let me know.  I may edit this post to alter scores a bit:

Credere Judging

Detail - 51/100 Points
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Brushes in the map that are primarily there to make it look nice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (16/25) - Not much detail in this map.  Even if it's going for a natural look, more work could be done with the rock walls to make them visually interesting.
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (5/25) - Not much to break up the monotony of sand and rock.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (22/25) - Crates and such are placed with gameplay in mind.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (8/25) - Detail feels pretty sparse.

Jumps: 76/100
Judge based on the jumps of the map
   Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (15/25) - Not a lot of jumps overall.
   Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (22/25) - Jumps seem purposely placed for gameplay.
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (18/25) - Centerflag and BD jumps seem reasonably placed, but there aren't any really good jumps to change up the gameplay.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (21/25) - Main path and objectives are easily accessible for new players.  BD path and faster centerflag grab make use of more advanced jumps.  No really extreme jumps, though.

Gameplay: 67/100
Judge based on how fun the map is to play
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (14/15) - Hit head on the sky and lights.  Low path could stand to flow a little better.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)+5 - There aren't many items, and they aren't really worth getting since you spawn with everything you need.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (7/10) - Spawns are ok.  Some could probably be moved closer to cover, and one is much further in front of the others.  Some are in sight of enemy spawns.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (8/15) - Needs more cover, as players can be shot from spawn to spawn
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (20/30)+5 - Grabbing and capping seems to be too easy.  It's a bit chaotic.  Not much room for strategy.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (13/20) - Need something to break up the fast, direct paths from base to base.  Low path seems to detract from the gameplay.

Technical Skill: 46/50
The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (25/25) - r_speeds are very good throughout the map.  Good use of visibility blocking.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (9/10) - Pretty much everything is aligned.  I did notice the blue arrow was rotated instead of flipped (negative scale), so the shadows are facing up instead of down, and it's not really a texture alignment issue, but I really think some of the bunkers and such could stand to use different textures for less monotony.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (12/15) - Could really stand to use some clipping planes to create more interesting rock geometry.

Innovation: 2/50
Is this map New and Exciting or have we seen it before?
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (2/50)  - Nothing really new or interesting here.

Total: 242/400

Lost Bricks 3 Judging

Detail - 85/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (22/25) - Detail level is pretty consistent and fits the theme, but it would be more interesting to see different types of bricks.
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (20/25) - overall brush/texture combo is pretty good, but the textures (especially high res versions) could use some work.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (23/25) - Detail level itself is fine for gameplay, but arrangements of details could be tweaked to improve flow.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (20/25) - Detail level is OK, but it could be pushed a lot further, with different brick types for lights, water, and such.

Jumps: 73/100
   Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (18/25) - for the style of map, I guess it's ok, but one path has a lot of speed jumps while the others do not.
   Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (18/25) - They feel a bit haphazard, but leave room for exploration.
   Relvance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (16/25) - Main path/flag jumps are the only ones that seem particularly useful.  Ice to mid high over logo don't seem like they'd offer much usefulness.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (16/25) - Most are medium level jumps, but navigating the speed path without getting slowed down is kind of awkward.  Access to the flag from capture point side is not newbie friendly, but the other path is fine.

Gameplay: 63/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (6/15) - From water to base is pretty awkward if you don't jump on the shore ramp.  Low and side paths are pretty awkward to navigate.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)+5 - There aren't many items, and they aren't really worth getting since you spawn with everything you need.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (6/10) - Spawns are fine for initial spawn, but they're in a pretty limited space that would be easy to spawn camp.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (11/15) - Sight lines seem too long on the main path (can see flag to flag) and too short on the side paths.  Rearranging some things to close up one path a bit and open the other would help, I think.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (21/30)+5 - Capping could be interesting, as the side/low paths are more relevant.  Grabbing is going to be pretty limited and easy to defend.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (14/20) - One super fast, but somewhat awkward path.  Others are much slower.  In actual play, it seems to work a little better, as the speed path is more covered.

Technical Skill: 39/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (15/25) - r_speeds are much higher than they should be for the detail level because everything is scaled down.  Better use of the high res textures could allow for larger texture scale and less map chopping.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (9/10) - Alignment is fine, though some of the brick pegs get cut on the angled brushes.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (15/15)

Innovation: 48/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (48/50)  - How has it taken this long for somebody to build a decent lego style map? :)

Total: 291/400
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:47:55 PM by jitspoe »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Sandrush (sandlandr_b1) Judging

Detail - 54/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (17/25) - Some of the details, like the water, feel out of place in the setting.  Doesn't make sense to support structures with crates...
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (7/25) - Everything looks almost the same shade of tan -- not enough variation.  Wood structures feel large, clunky, and unrealistic.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (20/25) - Most details built with gameplay in mind, but some things, like the railings in the middle, tend to get in the way.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (10/25) - Needs more variation and better details.

Jumps: 82/100
   Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (20/25) - Could stand to have some more interesting low-> high jumps.
   Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (21/25) - They work ok, I guess.  Crate pile to high path by flag doesn't work that well, though, and is inconsistent between sides.
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (18/25) - Most don't lead anywhere particularly interesting.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (23/25) - I guess there's a decent range.

Gameplay: 70/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (12/15) - Flow to main flag is awkward.  Mid railings and various rock outcroppings sometimes get in the way.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)+5 - Not much in the way of items.  5 points for trying, I guess.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (8/10) - Spawns are reasonably spread out, but some are facing toward the wall
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (9/15) - Most of the sight lines seem a bit too long.  Map could probably keep the exact same layout but be scaled down and play better.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (18/30)+5 - Getting to the main flag/cap is kind of awkward and looks too easy to defend.  2nd flag feels like it's there just to have another flag.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (18/20) - Paths seem fairly balanced, but the map felt a bit too large overall.

Technical Skill: 37/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (18/25) - r_speeds were a bit high at the base and in the middle.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (6/10) - Some misaligned crate textures, wood textures that need to be rotated, etc.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (13/15) - Need to work on some of the unnatural hard edges/sharp corners, some slight brush misalignments.  Not too bad overall

Innovation: 3/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (3/50)  - Nothing really new or interesting here.

Total: 246/400

temptare_b3 Judging

Detail - 74/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25) - Wood/metal theme is slightly more interesting than the average map, but it's still kind of generic.
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (16/25) - Somewhat generic, and details feel too large and blocky.  Area by the low ice path is nice.  Most of the bunkers feel bland.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (22/25) - Most of the details are for cover and ladders.  Visual details don't seem to interfere.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (16/25) - Detail feels very sparse on the high paths.  Most of the details feel unnaturally large and bulky (ex: ladders, pillars, bunker thickness).

Jumps: 85/100
   Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (18/25) - Could use some shortcut jumps to avoid climbing ladders and some low-to-high jumps in the outer base area.
   Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (22/25) - Jumps seem purposely placed for gameplay, though jumping over the bunker exiting the base low is really awkward.
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (23/25) - Low crouch-ice jump to ladder seems kind of pointless, but the rest seem useful.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (22/25) - Jump exiting the base low is not newbie friendly and seems unnecessary.

Gameplay: 73/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (11/15) - Hit head on mid high sky, flow in low base area is awkward.  Low ice ladder is super awkward.  The rest flows pretty well.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (2/10)+5 - Not really any items short of some ammo.  No interesting item play.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (4/10) - Spawns are limited to one small area.  They could be placed over and under to reduce spawn camping.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (14/15) - Sight lines seem fine.  Difficult to tell for sure without playing.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (26/30)+5 - Flag might be too easy to defend.  Lots of defensive angles.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (16/20) - Mid-low and underground-low paths seem about balanced.  High path is a little slower.  Alternate high path is a LOT slow.

Technical Skill: 47/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (25/25) - r_speeds are very good throughout the map.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (9/10) - Not really much to misalign with the textures used, though I did notice some of the wood around the lights was misaligned (and brushes could be used in a slightly more optimal manner, but that's pretty minor).
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (13/15) - Pretty clean overall.  Could stand to use some clipping planes to make the walls more interesting.

Innovation: 4/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (4/50)  - Some slight twists on old themes, but it still looks like a typical Paintball2 map.

Total: 285/400

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
spcup_kingdom_b1 judging

Detail - 75/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (18/25) - Detail feels like it was excessively added just for the sake of having detail (ex: block floors with bumps and jagged edges everywhere, not lined up with the texture used, excessively bumpy terrain, arrows built out of brushes when there's a texture for that, etc.)
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (21/25) - Some nice touches, but it's kind of in this weird area where it has too much detail to look clean and stylized, but too little detail to look realistic.  unwall1_8 texture looks out of place.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (16/25) - Found myself getting knocked off course by lanterns and other details.  Highly variable terrain made it difficult to hit jumps consistently.  Jumps built from details felt forced and awkward.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (20/25) - I think this map could actually look and play better with less detail - cut down on the jagged edges and bumps everywhere - make things smoother and more natural.

Jumps: 87/100
   Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (24/25) - Quantity is good, but I think the quality needs to be improved.
   Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (19/25) - A lot of the jump designs felt like they were copy pasted from jumps discovered in other maps (ex: castle1 bd jump), but were just there to be there.  They just felt forced and out of place, and didn't seem to work as well as the originals.
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (21/25) - Jumps provided alternative paths and ways to reach other paths, but overall did not feel really rewarding.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (23/25) - Plenty of range, but some of the should-be easy jumps just feel unnecessarily awkward and difficult.  The automag is easier to reach on one base than the other.

Gameplay: 79/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (11/15) - Flow was OK, but there were some invisible edges I got hung up on in the tunnel, as well as lights that would throw me off course.  There didn't seem to be a smooth transition out of the 2nd flag area.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)+5 - A few points for adding SOME pickups, I guess.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (8/10) - Spawns are dispersed well, but there should really be more than 4 per team.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (15/15) - Sightlines seem good.  Good engagement ranges.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (24/30)+5 - Main flag position seems OK, with multiple routes in (though it needs to be a little less hidden), secondary flag is super hidden and took a while to find.  Feels out of place and unnecessary, not easy to quickly grab both flags, and get out.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (16/20) - Paths were about the same as far time, but overall, the map felt like it was about 30% larger than it should be.  When I felt I should be in the base grabbing the flag, I still had to go around one more bend to get to it.

Technical Skill: 39/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (18/25) - r_speeds got pretty high around the water.  Too many faces in one place, and all that detail isn't necessary.  Will likely hurt framerate for some players.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (8/10) - Jagged edges of stone block brushes on the ground not lined up with the textures in a way that makes sense.  Fire textures not aligned.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (13/15) - Brush work isn't too bad -- need to work on more natural, less jagged, terrain and rocks.

Innovation: 8/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (8/50)  - For the most part, it looks like a lot of previously used ideas rehashed slightly.

Total: 288/400

cargo_b1 Judging

Detail - 90/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (24/25) - Detail fits the theme, but glass looks out of place.
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (21/25) - Looks pretty decent for a Paintball2 map, but it will likely be compared to the COD4 "Wet Works" map, which it doesn't really measure up to.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (22/25) - Railings and such provide jumping opportunities.
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (23/25) - Given the open layout, detail level is probably about as high as it can be without causing super high r_speeds.

Jumps: 98/100
   Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (24/25) - While the jumps are not blatantly obvious, jumping off of the railings onto containers provides a lot of jumping paths that are fun to discover.
   Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (24/25) - Jumps are sort of open for discovery
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (25/25) - Jumps provide shortcuts to the flag, alternative paths and tactical high ground.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (25/25) - Plenty of easy trick jumps to higher locations, but shortcuts from low to base require discovery and practice.

Gameplay: 68/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (10/15) - Non-trick jump flow to the flag is pretty awkward, and the trick jump itself requires a lot of careful weaving back and forth between obstacles.  Easy to screw up, but also provides a challenge.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (5/10)+5 - Not many items available - some stuff in the center of the map is about it.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (9/10) - Good variation on spawn locations to avoid spawn camping, but some of the spawns are much further back than others.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (10/15) - Line of sight is a bit open from base to base, and the limited speed path options might make it too easy to line one path.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (24/30)+5 - There's one fast route with a pretty big jump, but if you don't use that, getting up to the flag is a bit slow and awkward.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20) - Basic layout feels like a blatant copy of the COD4 Wet Works map.  Adaptation to pb2 mechanics is decent, but it would be nice if it were more original.

Technical Skill: 42/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (18/25) - r_speeds get pretty high from one end of the boat to another.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (10/10) - Didn't notice any misalignments.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (14/15) - Brush work is pretty good.  Helipad brushes could be embedded into the ground for better visuals and reduced r_speeds, though.

Innovation: 25/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (25/50)  - Pretty unique to Paintball2, but lost a lot of points in my book for copying the level design from another game.

Total: 323/400
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:50:46 PM by jitspoe »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
construction_b1 Judging

Detail - 71/100 Points
   Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (23/25) - Detail has a consistent theme, but a couple things are weird (ex: masonry on the top of a partially constructed wall)
   Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (4/25) - Nice theme and detail, but lack of lighting kills it.
   Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (22/25) - Details are mostly built around providing jumps and paths
   Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (22/25) - Amount of detail is pretty good, but the layout will have to be changed to provide better vis blocking to reduce the r_speeds.

Jumps: 93/100
   Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (24/25) - Interesting variety of jump styles.
   Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (23/25) -  Has room for discovery, which is nice.
   Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (22/25) - Some quicker path traversal and item pickups.  No objectives or hard to reach highground, though.
   Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (24/25) - Good range - most paths seem to have a jump shortcut and a newbie-friendly path

Gameplay: 59/100
   Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (12/15) - Flow is pretty decent overall, except for the flags.  Low path can be a a little awkward.
   Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convenient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (7/10)+5 - Only map with items worth picking up... might not be enough equipment for all players, though.
   Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (8/10) - Unique spawn room where players can jump down out of the windows should prevent spawn camping, but spawns should face forward instead of to the side.  Range of equipment people spawn with seems too broad.
   Lines + LOS - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay? (11/15) - Line of sight is a bit too open.
   Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (5/30)+5 - Some points for trying a new mechanic, but it didn't really work well at all.  If you go on the offense, and your defense is eliminated (or nobody is defending), nothing stops the enemy from getting capture points.  There's no way to chase down and cut off carriers.  No real room for crazy clutch plays.  I think this would work much better with standard CTF.
   Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (16/20) - Path traversal time is fairly consistent, and there's a lot of variety.  Open layout is going to cause performance issues, though.  Path inside of the bridge seems weird/useless.

Technical Skill: 20/50

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (0/25) - Map is not vis'd, r_speeds are very high.
   Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (7/10) - Boxes, lights, barrels misaligned in some places.
   Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (13/15) - Pretty good overall, but the brick textures don't line up with the brushwork (perhaps use different brick textures instead?).

Innovation: 35/50
   Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (35/50)  - Nice to see a theme executed in a plausible way.  Would be even nicer if it was lit.

Total: 278/400

Had to break these up into multiple posts since they were too long.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:14:03 AM by jitspoe »

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2014, 01:46:15 AM »
Bonus Prizes:

Best detailed map: £1
Best junps: £1
Best gameplay: £1
Technical skill: 50p
Innovation: 50p

It's not much but I like the idea.

TRION

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »
Bonus Prizes:

Best detailed map: £1
Best junps: £1
Best gameplay: £1
Technical skill: 50p
Innovation: 50p

It's not much but I like the idea.
You announced it now :\ when they already submitted the maps..

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
I understand that, but considering how small the prizes are it shouldn't have made a difference with entries anyway. I don't understand what you mean.  :-\

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »
So, my judging is the third post from the top :) VICIOUZ COME ON BRO.