Author Topic: Mewa's Feature  (Read 8556 times)

mewa

• 68 Carbine
Mewa's Feature
« on: November 30, 2013, 01:56:03 AM »
I'd like to see a "RTV" system implemented like they have in source games. Enough players don't like the current map and the pub gets a chance to vote in a new one. I always thought one of the worst aspects of this game is how the whole community seems to rotate the same handful or two of maps, completely ignoring hundreds of other creative and playable maps. If most of the repertoire were available, smaller groups could vote them on and start introducing another side of DP2. Could also help solve a lot of the population problems, certain maps seem to make people flee... I really have no idea, but it seems like this could be introduced without too many headaches since the vote system's already in place.

My next suggestion might be a little trickier from development to integration, but having a gun game mode would spice things up a bit and probably accelerate the learning curve for many new ones. Gun Game is just DM mode but when you kill someone you're gun changes to the next one up the rank. When you die, you go back a gun. It would really only work on the classic DM maps and might just turn into a clusterintercourse with the one hit kills. It'd be fun to see if we could make it playable as long as it's doable without too much burden.

If someone brought these up before in the forum, don't be a snot replying with a suggestion to the search button. I could care less.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Mewa's Feature
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »
Message removed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:55:20 PM by JMR »

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
I'd like to see a "RTV" system implemented like they have in source games. Enough players don't like the current map and the pub gets a chance to vote in a new one. I always thought one of the worst aspects of this game is how the whole community seems to rotate the same handful or two of maps, completely ignoring hundreds of other creative and playable maps. If most of the repertoire were available, smaller groups could vote them on and start introducing another side of DP2. Could also help solve a lot of the population problems, certain maps seem to make people flee... I really have no idea, but it seems like this could be introduced without too many headaches since the vote system's already in place.

My next suggestion might be a little trickier from development to integration, but having a gun game mode would spice things up a bit and probably accelerate the learning curve for many new ones. Gun Game is just DM mode but when you kill someone you're gun changes to the next one up the rank. When you die, you go back a gun. It would really only work on the classic DM maps and might just turn into a clusterintercourse with the one hit kills. It'd be fun to see if we could make it playable as long as it's doable without too much burden.

If someone brought these up before in the forum, don't be a snot replying with a suggestion to the search button. I could care less.
Best suggestion ever made. 100x better than jitspoe implementing single player because "no single player" is first option on survey and people click it the most.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Could you explain what an "RTV" system is or what it stands for?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »
Here's a feature vote for for some map voting tweaks: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10029
Here's a feature vote for vote skipping the current map: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10155

I'm not sure what the RTV system you're suggesting is.  Could you elaborate?  Would it be covered by these?

The initial votemap feature was designed to attempt to keep variety in the list.  You could vote in maps that weren't originally on the list.  If you stuck around long enough, you could, in theory, get your favorite map played by voting for it each map, even if it wasn't in the server's rotation.  In practice, though, people don't stick around on servers for long enough for that to happen.  People just bail as soon as a map they don't like comes up, or they aren't winning, or they see something shiny...

I would like to add a gungame mode at some point: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10257

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
Gun game would be great, but are there enough guns for gun game to be supported? Or are we going to see more paintball guns be implemented in this game?

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
But if you really want to see the other side of paintball2, check out matching.

I sleep just fine at night. Besides, sedatives aren't really my bag.

Could you explain what an "RTV" system is or what it stands for?

Just assumed most had seen this script. RTV is "Rock the Vote" script. Players type !rtv in chat and a vote gets tallied. When enough votes are reached (server dependent, anywhere from 2/3's to little over 3/4's of entire server population), a menu appears with 4-6 maps from the servers rotation. This is where the oppurtunity to play the many largely unseen maps comes in. Have maplists composed of any map complying with that servers theme and just give heavy weighing to the standards. Every few RTV's a strange map will get into the choices. It also enables players to pick their favorites with the !nominate command (see below), this is similiar to what jitspoe mentioned with the current voting system.

Assuming worst case scenario and one person manages to get an awful map loaded, the solution comes from the source. Every pubber freaks out when they feast their eyes on the new landscape and they RTV to get back to the "safe" maps.

The RTV plugin is usually implemented with other related commands;

!nominate - allows any player to pick a map from the servers full maplist to be included in the RTV choices.

!votemap - more direct version of RTV. No menu is initialized. Each player enters the command and picks their map from the full list. If enough players vote for the same map, server immediately switches to it. The number of votes needed is less than RTV, usually about 1/2 - 2/3's the amount of votes RTV would need.

Here's a feature vote for for some map voting tweaks: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10029
Here's a feature vote for vote skipping the current map: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10155

Would it be covered by these?

Not even same ballpark. Why would it be so important to skip the mapvote for one round? (What are we doing distracting our sole developer with this kind of nonsense...)

You could vote in maps that weren't originally on the list.

Could and can.

If you stuck around long enough, you could, in theory, get your favorite map played by voting for it each map, even if it wasn't in the server's rotation. 

Nothing theoretical about that.

In practice, though, people don't stick around on servers for long enough for that to happen. 

Bombsaway gets played.

People just bail as soon as a map they don't like comes up, or they aren't winning, or they see something shiny...

Yea people can be figgity but from the little I know about gaming and life people usually don't do things they don't like. The exception in this case would be to simply get to the next map. Hence my request, this thread, this reply.

On a similar note, there's been too many times when the entire small server population doesn't like the current map. We all rally and join observer (quite a task honestly) to force a map change when suddenly a nobber joins up who has no idea where to read chat, let alone how to switch teams should he suddenly feel the need to assimilate with every other person in the pub.

Addendum: Probably should have just responded with the link to the original !rtv script, http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=57106

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »
So how does this differ from the current map voting system? Plus, who in the world would remember all those commands, specially with new generation gamers who will find "RTV" system extremely annoying. Jitspoe is trying to increase the gaming population, not satisfiy the old gamers( I mean he still is satisfiying the old gamers, but is now aiming for the new gen gamers more). Looking at it from a new gamers perspective (who has never played this game), he would see this "RTV" system really really annoying because they would see those commands as something more to memerioze( since new gen gamers are much more "straight forward" in a sense of being lazy). If this system was created and/or implemented into the current voting system, and syncronized in a way so that it would newbie friendly, then it should not be a problem. But that would be considered when you explain to the community on what is the difference with the current voting system and the RTV system. Sorry if I misunderstood, I read in a hurry so I might have not picked up everything.

EDIT: I see you have a valid point; rather then playing a complete map that you hate or get the all the players in a particular server to go observer mode ( which your right, its a pain in the bootius maximus), you are suggesting that why not have the ability to nominate a map once the bad map has arrived and force the server to change the map. From my experience, most players would just leave the server once a bad map has arrived, just like you said. The problem with RTV is like I said before, and trollers, but the good news is that it can be solved. So solution? Have a menu in voting for "nominating" and if a player knows the command then players can just pop "!nominate" in the console ( if there is a better way, by all means use that way). As for reducing/eliminating trollers, the RTV system will need to be reduced to X amount of times ( usage wise), in other words, once a player decide to use RTV, then it must be either at the beginning of the map and/or once in the whole map. And if players successfuly manage to nominate a different map, then players should not be allowed to use the RTV system again for the map that was nominated. Furthermore, once the nominated map is played, then players should not be allowed to vote the same map till X amount of times RTV is used ( so let's say players used RTV 4 times, then the first map that was nominated should be votable again), otherwise map A will always be played and map B will never be played.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:50:53 AM by Toxiic »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
Not even same ballpark. Why would it be so important to skip the mapvote for one round? (What are we doing distracting our sole developer with this kind of nonsense...)

I think it is.  What you're describing sounds very similar to that feature vote.  If you don't like the current map, you can vote to go to the next map in rotation, which would just end the current map, if it passed, then go to the normal rotation mechanism (map voting screen, if voting is enabled, next map in rotation if not).  It's not a vote to disable map voting for one round (that doesn't even make sense).  I edited the description to make it a little more clear.

http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10155

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Yes jitspoe, it's similar now that you describe it like that. Whats up for vote is pretty confining compared to what I'm considering. I can't imagine anyone wants to pick between the best of two evils in terms of maps. I'm looking for something that would first and foremost allow a majority of players to initiate a map change (that seems to be covered in the feature you linked), but secondly I would love to see a mechanism to allow larger variety of maps to be played and showcase a wider set of player skills.

The game and its maps have gone through many phases, but there's no longer an outlet for some of the great maps from a different time. It's occurred to me to run a server with such a maplist, but that obviously makes little sense given the current population. In all reality this game has come down to supporting one or two semi full pubs at a time and the only hope of an unknown map being played would be through a forced voting system with such maps being available as a prerequisite. Storage is cheap, we all know this. Including a few hundred megs of maps in the serverbuild shouldn't really effect many hosts.

One of the things that always stuck with me were some of the unique maps that were developed. Some being long and enduring with especially fulfilling wins, others short and sweet but with exquisite geometry. These kind of lasting memories are worth implanting into a new set of players.

I don't think anybody has delusions of grandeur regarding this game becoming popular again, but I also think most of us would like to see some kind of resurgence in population. There's plenty of opportunity for this between old folk checking back in and still new players in countries with "emerging economies" where this game is technically relevant, we just need to push the right buttons.

P.S. -

wtf is this nonsense? did you just type whatever ran through your mind at the moment?

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »

P.S. -
wtf is this nonsense? did you just type whatever ran through your mind at the moment?
The dots? Don't recall writing that, although I sometimes think in that manner :P

PS: if your referring to my last post, then I was talking about how the RTV system should be implemented; which is how this mostly works to: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10155
I did not know that jitspoe had changed the description, which was done after my post. Also you seem to be against it :P you should get your vote changed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:54:11 PM by Toxiic »

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
To adapt, what I'd like to see would be that if a map where force voted and not currently on the servers list, it would be downloaded to the server as to allow it's play.