Author Topic: This game is dying... What can we do to help?  (Read 29831 times)

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
Re: This game is dying... What can we do to help?
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »
Yep + Crack pgp, should be renamed to PGPTrain/BasketballPGP 24/7

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »
I mean that average players are part of this game and they should play wherever they want.
But I know what you feel bro. If you won't find any challenge in the game you'll get bored and leave it. But what can we do about that? Perhaps ranking system would help?

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
Perhaps if you were willing to run some servers, your fun-pub solution would appear.

Obviously, people aren't going to run a server just for you.

edited for baseballdude
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:53:15 PM by LaZeRs »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
you're
To what school do you go, LaZeRs? Your is for possession and you're is short for you are. Didn't they teach you that in 3rd grade?

Back on topic. Pub servers deserve a comeback. Speed is great until one team starts spawncamping the fun right out of it, PGP would be great if it had more than 2 maps, and jump should be a separate category altogether. Pub is the way to go, and unfortunately it seems like it's fading.

edited for LaZeRs and noturningback
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:18:19 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
LOL? LAZERZ ^_^. Yes i agree Baseballdude. You forgot siege though.  I believe siege very fun and shouldn't fade away. I've realized that ever since these new suckish maps(my opinion) such as lighthouse have been added, noone has been playin on siege usa. The old rotation was way better and we should have ppl play on siege servers just like old days. We don't want siege to fade away 2.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
To what school do you go, LaZeRz? Your is for possession and you're is short for you are. Didn't they teach you that in 3rd grade?
Sorry for making the error, sheesh. And if you read my name correctly, you would know that it's spelled "LaZeRs", not "LaZeRz", but I guess we all can't be perfect, can we?

I did like the old siege rotation better (+ omaha ;D) but back on topic.

I want more pubs, I created one. As soon as I can port-forward it, I'd be glad to actually run a good, stable server.

Unfortunately, the noobs of DP2 do not want pubs, they want to stay alive as long as they can. They don't care about flags, they just want as many kills as they can. If we could create a way to make the newer players' minds focus and like a more public server based game, that would be great.

PGP servers and pub servers are really good, but PGP servers need more maps, and mappers should create more PGP maps, or at least better ones, anyway.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
To what school do you go, LaZeRz? Your is for possession and you're is short for you are. Didn't they teach you that in 3rd grade?

Back on topic. Pub servers deserve a comeback. Speed is great until one team starts spawncamping the fun right out of it, PGP would be great if it had more than 2 maps, and jump should be a separate category altogether. Pub is the way to go, and unfortunately it seams like it's fading.

oMg wat skool did u go 2????????

Anyway, maybe it's time for the 'spawn shield' feature to be implemented to allow proper speed servers.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
I did like the old siege rotation better (+ omaha ;D) but back on topic.
Unfortunately, the noobs of DP2 do not want pubs, they want to stay alive as long as they can. They don't care about flags, they just want as many kills as they can. If we could create a way to make the newer players' minds focus and like a more public server based game, that would be great.
The solution to that problem is to make unlockables/achievements/badges awarded for flag grabs and captures. This would make the noobs start to care about the team objectives.

If this game isn't ready for that, an easier solution would be to re-adjust the in-game ranking system to display the person with most caps up top. The tiebreak for that would be grabs, and after that, kills. The noobs all want their name up top, and right now that happens only by kills and not by team objectives. The current system rewards campers who can comfortably set up camp in a convenient corner and ambush anyone who passes by. My envisioned system rewards the bold players who are willing to step up and take a leadership role for their team, risking their lives to give their team an edge.

About having multiple servers: I agree with you, LaZeRs. There should be a tutorial somewhere on this site on how to create multiple servers and how to change the port on which the other servers run.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
LaZeRs
Heh, you got my name right. Sorry for getting mad.

About having multiple servers: I agree with you. There should be a tutorial somewhere on this site on how to create multiple servers and how to change the port on which the other servers run from the default port.
I can make one, if you want.

noturningback

• PGP
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
unfortunately it seams like

Hmmm...

Lazers actually displays excellent grammar for a middle school student. No need to be insulting about a minor and uncharacteristic slip-up.  

That aside, I do like your idea about organising the in-game ranking table by number of captures. Perhaps an alternative idea might be to add another column for points scored (X points for capture, Y points for holding flag when all members of the opposing team are eliminated). Most players on the popular public servers are solely interested in K/D. If the collective focus of attention shifted towards maximizing team points, the game might become a bit more engaging for experienced players.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:59:19 PM by noturningback »

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »
About having multiple servers: I agree with you, LaZeRs. There should be a tutorial somewhere on this site on how to create multiple servers and how to change the port on which the other servers run.
Tutorial is here in case anyone needs it. Links to other tutorials are also there.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »
oMg wat skool did u go 2????????

LOL ITS SPELT WOT YOU STUPID FUKER

the problem isnt the solutions, because there are many, the problem is only jitspoe is working towards these time consuming solutions which is difficult for a busy person (only him because thers some code he doesnt (rightfully) want to share or something, idk specifics). things like AIs, ranking systems, demo playback improvements etc.etc. take time. and then theres cheat solutions such as unbanning a bunch of people..regardless, just use the search engine and find one of the other threads like this, some have pretty interesting responses.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
@Aveiro:
It's nice that you keep blaming the server owners / hosters. But I just want to tell you that every server has an admin and an email cvar. If you really wanted to help, you could send them an email containing some suggestions about good maps that should be put in the rotation or the bad maps that should be removed. Also, probably every admin reads all topics in this server sections, so you could also propose maps here.

One thing I want to generally say about the rotation on the servers: Everytime I hear something from the players on the servers where I can change the rotation, the only thing they say is: "remove XYZ, everytime its loaded everyone disconnects.". And thats true. After every mapchange some players disconnect, either because they dont like the new map or because they just want to take a break. Let's say that then there are <10 players left - some of them then also start disconnecting, because the server is starting to get empty. And in the end, everybody disconnects.
So, at the next day, some players tell me that the maps emties the servers.
So what can I do? When there are like 10 maps in the rotation, I can remove that one from the rotation. 10 day later, theres only one map left - and again, everybody just complains that there are no maps.

So my plan for now is: I'll put in 10 maps and whenever someone comlains about a map, he / she has to give me another map to replace it with. Hope that this works.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »
So my plan for now is: I'll put in 10 maps and whenever someone comlains about a map, he / she has to give me another map to replace it with. Hope that this works.
That's a great idea. I was trying to do that here in my LaZeRs PUB Rotation thread.

Let's get back to more general things rather than server map issues.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
I think the game needs a better tutorial. The current tutorial's image just looks horrid and is horrible for new players to see. Someone should create a new tutorial with better textures etc. the tutorial is also the first thing new players to the game see. That first jump may be hard with only words. There are also way too many instructions quickly flying by for such a simple game. Players might not even know how to start playing. I remember I had trouble figuring out how to play until someone showed me how to join a game and stuff. Players need to know to press etc and how to play with a very simple direction page. For example, just say left, right, up,, down and space bar to jump. Goal is to capture other teams flag in catfish. Kill as many ppl in dm. Etc. the poor tutorial shouldn't be what first shows . Ppl immediately think his is a suck is game. That front screen and tutorial just create a bad image for the game.

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:31 AM »
It's definitely all about selling the game to potential players

Think about it, this game won't ever be developed for high definition graphics, but do you really want it to be? Dp2 needs to be marketed as what it is!

That old school, first person shooter, with awesomely unrealistic movement and jumping abilities that created a game where intensity (in those 1on1 firefights) and fast-pace action hasn't been matched!

That plus the ability to create/play new maps and discover new jumps sets this game apart (maybe not in a CoD way, but in its own way).

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »
That old school, first person shooter, with awesomely unrealistic movement and jumping abilities that created a game where intensity (in those 1on1 firefights) and fast-pace action hasn't been matched!
Sounds good to me.

That sentence sounds like an advertisement by itself! :D

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2013, 12:28:39 AM »
It's worth advertising even to those who play already because that's really what most of us love about the game right? This game is so unique and I think one of the biggest issues is just being able to explain that awesomeness to others. Of course if someone joins dp2 with no foreword to its potential for fun they might just walk away... This game is aesthetically behind its time...but they don't know what they're missing!

I know I personally probably only became a bit more hooked when I began playing when i saw the good players getting crazy speed and height (without dying from the fall!) on ice.... Or better yet.. and a bit deeper... strafed-out double jumps over walls to get kills from unexpected angles on that enemy with the flag!

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
"In Paintball2, you can go for a month without playing and be fine. But for Clash of Clams, you've gotta be playing pretty much every day or else you lose your ranking and you get raided a lot of times and your collectors fill up. When this happens, you stop collecting gold and elixir and you're more likely to get raided if you have full collectors."
-SlickNinja20, who loves Paintball2 a lot more than Clash of Clans but finds himself playing with his COC a lot more than Paintball.

This piece of evidence proves that Paintball needs some reward system for playing more often.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
I agree. There should be some sort of better reward system.