Author Topic: Special op: Back in buisness  (Read 15354 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Special op: Back in buisness
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
Hello there supreme champions, start up clans and the like. I will try to keep this topic small and simple.

DP:PB2 as we know it, will now change. There have been large spots of inactivity over the past year. 2013 hasn't been much of a good year for DP:pb2.

At least, that's how it was until October. I discovered that there was nothing really 'happening' anymore on paintball. There were not enough clans to have a competitive match scene and no competitions to get things buzzing. That's when I decided to perform a test, to see the true state of paintball. Some may see paintball as a dead old game, with no active clans. I see paintball as a game, with many clans, which only play when they have some competition. So I set out to see actually what players would play more actively, if I started a 2v2 tournament series. A simple, no-hassle, straight out 2v2 tournament series where no clans were involved. Just the player's passion to have fun.

Here was my goal after the first 5 had finished:
Okay, so, say we finish these 5 tournaments, where do we go from here? What is the point of these? Well, eventually, we have plans to livestream each tournament, with commentary Etc. As it progresses, more players may join back to the game, as there is something to practice for. Then, as more players progress, them 2v2 teams could turn into clans, once there are then a lot more clans, 3v3 tournaments can be a possibility!

The benefit of livestreaming and running the tournament by that is, everyone who enters, just watches the livestream, all announcements of servers there and, newbies from pub servers don't need ts3, they just watch the stream! This way, newbies can see it being streamed and will want them to be on it, a good way to introduce newbies to the scene.

The first 2v2 tournament started and to my surprise 4 teams turned up. I was unsure if anyone would actually want to participate, being as this wasn't really anything exciting. But then it hit me, these teams hadn't had anything to look forward to for months, if not a year in paintball! All these teams needed were some sort of competition to cling to grow off that. So then, with that passion, I held another tournament and to my delight, mostly the same teams had turned up! From then on, we had 7+ teams of 2 turning up every other week (which was when the tournaments were held). Then it got to the last one in the series, I wanted to do this with style. I wanted to livestream the whole thing, with live running commentary. BOOM, 12 teams turned up, was a fantastic event. In the end I was thinking, 'where did all these people come from'. They were like sleeping giants, asleep yet ever so powerful once awakened.

So where am I going with this? Well, my point is, we don't NEED to wait for new features. paintball is perfectly equipped enough already for leagues and cups, what it takes is for US to do OUR bit. It takes is passion, time and effort, yet the effect it has on a game like this can be amazing! AND this is why I am planning this special operation:back in business. We're like a store that's open, but not putting ourselves out there, lets get out there and show the true side of paintball!

INTRODUCING, Special Op: Back in Business!
This operation is all about using what we have and using paintball to it's FULL esports type potential. A lot like what they did with pbcup, but we have more technology again now.
Basically, in short, the special operation is a mix of paintball2 events, that should hopefully bring even more clans back to the game.

I plan to continue the 3v3 tournament series, this will ensure that the current clans can compete.
I plan to make a advert/commercial, this will encourage new players to compete and join a clan.
I plan to encourage others, to practice, this will ensure good quality competition

Once most clans are practicing and matching eachother, entering the tournaments and new players are joining in, this is when the operation is reaching it's prime. This is where, I hope, what I call the splash effect will occur, where other gamers out there see the competition in paintball and would like to join in, create their clan here and participate in the esports-like competitions. Just think for a moment guys, there are some gamer clans out there that are 30-people teams. Teams in which play a variety of games together, to get that competition that makes games fun for them. All it would take is one of them to add 30 more players to the game, constantly matching. That's just one good example of how the splash effect can help the game. It's about not only new players, but existing players seeing the true potential of the game and joining in to the competition.

Are you with me? Want this operation to be a success? Here's what I need to do:

• Create a commercial/advert to advertise the special tournaments (showing live commentary snipbits, good shots Etc)
• Create a sPec map list series (like pbcup did) of top quality maps that will give the game a new fresh feel.
• Create a solid ranking system for the tournaments series and eventually create a leage.

Afraid of change? Like the smell of inactivity? Like funclans where you just play speed servers all day? Well beggars cannot be choosers and with this operation, this game will be going down the competitive road, no matter what. Competetive teams and players around paintball2 invite you to try it out! It will give you achievements to show for. Coming 8th in a 16 team tournament is great! There are plenty of us that would encourage you and guide you throughout your matching career with your clan. We are out there, you just have to try and search. Make NEW friends and play paintball in this new way (to you).

So, this is a 2-way operation. I can do my bit and put my all into it, but it does require loyal teams sticking together, practicing, setting an example for others to follow. It also requires teams turning up. It will be for your benefit and will majorly benefit the game!

Here's a list to make it easier:

• Join a team if you are not already in one, can't find a clan for you? Start a new one! Maybe there's others in the same boat, team up together!

• Idle on IRC #tournaments channel and #paintball at irc.globalgamers.net. Also try to idle on the common teamspeak3 servers, otb-server.de and clanprozak.us

• Practice, practice, practice. Make it hard for other teams to rank ahead of you. Scrimming often in serious matches is a great way to intimidate other teams, as well as strengthening your own clan's teamwork.

• Accept change. Some things will be done differently, like different maps, livestreams and new ranking system for the tournaments. Change isn't always for the best, but I'm telling you, it won't work out for the best if you don't accept to try it.

This operation primary is about making paintball more fun by increasing the ability to be competitive and increasing the amount of competition.

League incoming @ 2014. Clans, get ready, prepare.

Become a part of something special, not in a clan? Join one!

That is all, thanks for reading ( if you did ). I look forward as you join me in this operation.
-JMR

Please refrain from flame and offtopic discussion here. This topic is strictly for discussion related to the special operation: back in business.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
Re: Special op: Back in buisness
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
I'll join if it means getting this game more active again. :D

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKw5mbcE7VY listen to this while reading.

stomper

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
wow. it's nice to see someone trying to get a leading position in this "operation". I really hope this can turn out the way you/ we all want to turn it out... reactive and expand the matching scene.

If the community decides to run this, I WOULD MAKE A MAP / SOME MAPS for this!

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
Please, don't make it "spec" maps. Make it some form of a tournament/league/series name you're running - not a team name. Pbcup wasn't eR33t - it was Paintball Cup maps. Do something similar, naming after a clan isn't the best way of making a series - even if the maps turn out good. Ignoring the name, I'm not so sure making an entirely new maplist of 'spec' maps is good. Maps like Carpathian, arguably Pbcup_pforest as well are perfect for how DP is currently played. Make an official maplist first, and try to remove specific maps (the least played) out, everytime you(or "spec") makes a new map. But put EACH map into competitive playtesting (play them vs GOOD teams, like DR34M/Trio) so you get real feedback. Watch other teams match on it too, before forcing it upon people. Cause the new maps could make or break peoples participation. Upfront forcing may not be the best idea.

Good idea, but learn from my mistakes - people don't like to read for the most part. Try to make the post shorter if you'd like more people in this community to read it. But I read it, and it's a start of something. Should run a "Community video contest" (assuming Jitspoe gives the OK) - to get a community ad video / montage / whatever , that gets a spot on the website for the best one. Gives some incentive for others to participate in the ad/commercial, and also provides it with more benefit if it's on the website for people to see.

DR34M will stick together for this, and try to participate as much as we can (taking into account we do work and some of us are in school). Single day events shouldn't be that hard, we can potentially recruit some subs to make it easier to commit.

Hope other NA teams participate too, I mean there's literally nothing to lose by helping out in this. It's a game most of the current community members have played for years, why not try 1 last competitive thing before giving up on it completely.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »
Please, don't make it "spec" maps. Make it some form of a tournament/league/series name you're running - not a team name. Pbcup wasn't eR33t - it was Paintball Cup maps. Do something similar, naming after a clan isn't the best way of making a series - even if the maps turn out good. Ignoring the name, I'm not so sure making an entirely new maplist of 'spec' maps is good. Maps like Carpathian, arguably Pbcup_pforest as well are perfect for how DP is currently played. Make an official maplist first, and try to remove specific maps (the least played) out, everytime you(or "spec") makes a new map. But put EACH map into competitive playtesting (play them vs GOOD teams, like DR34M/Trio) so you get real feedback. Watch other teams match on it too, before forcing it upon people. Cause the new maps could make or break peoples participation. Upfront forcing may not be the best idea.

Good idea, but learn from my mistakes - people don't like to read for the most part. Try to make the post shorter if you'd like more people in this community to read it. But I read it, and it's a start of something. Should run a "Community video contest" (assuming Jitspoe gives the OK) - to get a community ad video / montage / whatever , that gets a spot on the website for the best one. Gives some incentive for others to participate in the ad/commercial, and also provides it with more benefit if it's on the website for people to see.

DR34M will stick together for this, and try to participate as much as we can (taking into account we do work and some of us are in school). Single day events shouldn't be that hard, we can potentially recruit some subs to make it easier to commit.

Hope other NA teams participate too, I mean there's literally nothing to lose by helping out in this. It's a game most of the current community members have played for years, why not try 1 last competitive thing before giving up on it completely.

Thank you very much for your feedback MyeRs.

I personally disagree though, with anything wrong with the name "spec_" before a map. There are no other tags that describe the tournament series. It's a #sPec# tournament series. I'd obviously make sure the maps meet tournament standards, with the methods you provided. If this clan were to die in the future, it doesn't matter. You still play pbcup maps, even though pbcup no longer occurs. Same priniciple could be applied for spec_.  spec_ itself stands for special_, the maps will be unique in a good way.

I had some other ideas for tags, such as "esports_" and "comp_" but those are too generic. I'm practically creating a style and brand with #sPec#. After putting all the effort into it, I don't see anything with using my clan tag with pride for the tournaments. After all, it could be worse, I could use "jmr_"

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
This makes me want to get into the competitive scene. Problem is I'm busy most of the time with school-related stuff so I'm not sure I'll find enough time for competitive gaming.

I am, however, willing to do the mapping part of this operation, or at least some of it. JMR is obviously a lot better than me at terrain mapping and making things that don't have 90 degree planes. I'm not as good at that; I consider my strong suit to be creativity and originality. Maybe once New York is finished, I could start working on some more match-friendly maps to add to the competitive scene, and maybe have JMR help me with terraining.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »
As Myers said, i tried reading through whole post, but didnt get what it was about lol. I figured it out later with reactions of others.

So if i actually understood it right, and part of this is another "tournament" like pbcup was, then we are in. I would be willing to make locs for each of your maps + test them in some scrims. Also I could get ready and stream every event we would participate in.

A good idea might be to get someone, who makes nice videos to make some kind of highlight videos for each event.

PS:If i didnt understand it right, i am studying for my final exams at university so didnt focus on understanding it that much.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »
As Myers said, i tried reading through whole post, but totally didnt get what it was about lol. I figured it out later with reaction of others.

So if i actually understood it right, and part of this is another "tournament" like pbcup was, then we are in. I would be willing to make locs for each of your maps + test them in some scrims. Also I could get ready and stream every event we would participate in.

A good idea might be to get someone, who makes nice videos to make some kind of highlight videos for each event.

PS:If i didnt understand it right, i am studying for my final exams at university so didnt focus on understanding it that much.
Nice suggestions!

It sounds like you understood correctly. Basically it's my overall plan to make the competitive scene active again. :) A big part of which, is a league.

I'd love it if you make locs for the future maps, that would be great! I was planning on doing this myself, but It's really nice to have some help. Current map I am working on: http://i.imgur.com/JLJYfOD.jpg

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
If you want 'good' playtesting, get DR34M to play against Trio to playtest maps. After a few matches on it, it'll be easy to know if the map has potential to play well or not. Good teams with experienced players will provide better feedback.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
If you want 'good' playtesting, get DR34M to play against Trio to playtest maps. After a few matches on it, it'll be easy to know if the map has potential to play well or not. Good teams with experienced players will provide better feedback.

Super! Thanks guys for this support!

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Most posts are too long. Can someone make TL:DR version for me?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
Let me know if you'd like any help mapping/any map ideas.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
I'd be willing to help in anyway I can. Mapping, play testing, data entry etc.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »
^ If you want this to succeed (mapping-wise only), I would recommend only getting experienced-good mappers to help out. Rick is a good example of that, Cusoman would be another. They'll be able to help a bunch more. Looking at their maps in comparison to 95% of the mappers around, they are visually WAY nicer, as well as typically flow decently well. Then play-testing as well should be done by experienced players (as mentioned above) to get more criticism.

To get a good map within "experienced" community members it will take time - but honestly, people should be excluded from the mapping aspect if you want it to turn out as good as possible. Not everyone is on the same level, and the more people you include the more headaches it causes by sending it around. Ideas-wise, anyone could help, though.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
^ If you want this to succeed (mapping-wise only), I would recommend only getting experienced-good mappers to help out. Rick is a good example of that, Cusoman would be another. They'll be able to help a bunch more. Looking at their maps in comparison to 95% of the mappers around, they are visually WAY nicer, as well as typically flow decently well. Then play-testing as well should be done by experienced players (as mentioned above) to get more criticism.

To get a good map within "experienced" community members it will take time - but honestly, people should be excluded from the mapping aspect if you want it to turn out as good as possible. Not everyone is on the same level, and the more people you include the more headaches it causes by sending it around. Ideas-wise, anyone could help, though.

JMR's maps looks good, but gameplay is bad on the most of them, he needs better ideas. Clipz is helping him a lot with his new map and im giving him feedbacks too.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
JMR's maps looks good, but gameplay is bad on the most of them, he needs better ideas. Clipz is helping him a lot with his new map and im giving him feedbacks too.
Eh, I remember Clipz helping out on pp3...

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
Eh, I remember Clipz helping out on pp3...
Oh pls, pp3 is the best thing that ever happened to PB.

But seriously, i like pp3. I would trade pp1 for pp3 anytime.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »

I don't have to actually do all the dirty work on BSP if it would be better if I didn't; I could just supply ideas when they're needed.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
Oh pls, pp3 is the best thing that ever happened to PB.

But seriously, i like pp3. I would trade pp1 for pp3 anytime.
I like pp3 too, well, the mapping of it. The whole idea of it sucked, though. ;)

#cusobestmapperever
#cuso4lyf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:36:42 PM by Rick »