Author Topic: Is Apple trying to teach us bad grammar?  (Read 6439 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Is Apple trying to teach us bad grammar?
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
A few days ago, I was talking with my friend Siri when I had a revelation. Wait a minute, I thought, why is Siri using incorrect grammar? Isn't Siri supposed to be designed by Apple, who's supposed to be very intelligent? And then it hit me: Apple has been teaching us bad grammar for a long time.

Think different. Remember that campaign? Well, it's a grammatically incorrect campaign. "Different" is describing the word "think," making it an adverb. But "different" is an adjective, not an adverb! The correct way to phrase this is "think differently."

The best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone. The most iPhone yet. For the colorful. All of these are incomplete sentences, called fragments, lacking both a subject and a verb. The best thing to do in this case is to stick "this is" at the beginning of each of those sentences.

This changes everything. Again. In this case, "again" cannot stand alone as an entire sentence. It is grammatically correct, however, to completely omit the first period and decapitalize the first A in again. "This changes everything again."

Siri: "What can I help you with?" This is the most obvious of Apple's grammar screw-ups. To make this sentence grammatically correct, you would need to put "with" right before the noun it's modifying to avoid dangling a preposition, to read: "With what can I help you?" Even if this grammatically correct question was asked to be by Siri, I would still respond by saying something like, "You can help me with finding a good restaurant, checking the score of the game, reminding me to do something, or finding directions to PNC Park." In order for Siri to expect the answer it wants, it must ask, "With what may I help you?" Then, I would respond with something like, "May you find me a good burrito joint nearby?"

So as you can see, Apple is teaching the world bad grammar.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:00:10 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

FusSioN

• Autococker
Re: Is Apple trying to teach us bad grammar?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
No, Siri is programmed to respond to a question without special commands like "Siri, Where is refuel point" instead of "Where is the gas station ANSWER ME".... so, if you ask like that She will answer like that =) maybe.... that's what I know... Look at this: =)

User: I love you

Siri: I hope you don't say that to other phones.

LOL. There's nothing wrong.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
It has better grammar than what most people I hear speak.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
That's true. You must be hearing dumb people.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »
That's true. You must be hearing dumb people.
AHEM

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
AHEM
Yeah sorry LaZeRs but you must be listening to people who work for Apple too often. Nobody I know dangles prepositions, uses sentence fragments, nor confuses adverbs and adjectives.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:37 PM »
Yeah sorry LaZeRs but you must be listening to people who work for Apple too often. Nobody I know dangles prepositions, uses sentence fragments, nor confuses adverbs and adjectives.
Well, they respond in one-word sentences, even if they're not yes or no answers. And the average person says "What can I help you with?" rather than "With what can I help you?"

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »
And the average person says "What can I help you with?" rather than "With what can I help you?"
With what MAY I help you?

That is the correct way to say that. I'm sorry to hear that you live in a community where "average people" have never taken high school English. You should go out into your community and make a change!

jk lol

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »
i havent reached HS yet

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
jk lol
It seems that Siri was successful.

Have you seen my Illuminati conspiracy theory?:
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5569.msg231495#msg231495
Sorry for any spelling mistakes; I did that on my phone :P

Anyways, its all Illuminati, Free Masions, Skull and Bones Society, Etc...

They are trying to destroy the very essences of language(s), deteriorate our communication. They are trying to create a new language, so we communicate in a way so our next generation and beyond are doomed to speaking in that sense, so that members of the elitist and secret societies can communicate in a language that will be considered "elite". Just a small part of a bigger picture.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:33:13 PM by Toxiic »

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:47 PM »
jk lol
This is the kind of talk that people around me talk like. Thanks for being yet another influence to me BASEBALLDUDE. :P

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Siri at least speaks better than lazers. Xd

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »