Author Topic: Supermans Server Changes **January 30th 2014  (Read 7638 times)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Supermans Server Changes **January 30th 2014
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
Hello Everyone,

My paintball servers/website have just been moved to a new server.  The new server is more powerful and uses the Xen virtualization platform as opposed to OpenVZ on the old one.  This should (hopefully) stop all of the constant lag spikes you have all come to love.

Your ping should still be exactly the same, the only change you should notice is the lack of lagspikes =).

-Superman

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:00:59 PM by SuperMAn »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Supermans Server Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
the classic pub idea is great but would be better without arm :)

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »

Maplist can always be tweaked, I wasn't sure if I wanted a DM on there either.  I will leave it like this for a while and see how it goes.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
agreed. And add nhb.

The two speed servers should not have any common maps between them. One of them should be more noob-friendly with lots of camping, like wipa and italy, and the other should be more advanced, like pbcup_pforest and freedom.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Thank you for taking off Easy Jump. It only had two maps.
Maximum 3 of your match servers are used at once. So it's okay to take off the match servers.

I haven't really seen people go on Supermans Speed 2, but it is a good idea.
I like the Classic Pub! Just take off arm, it's a DM map and it doesn't fit the regular CTF rotation.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:48 PM »
Maybe remove freedom from rotation. It's a good match map, but just horrible for a pub with larger amounts of people in my opinion.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
Remove dhemap. The visuals are horrible and there is no noob-friendly way to the flag.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
Remove dhemap. The visuals are horrible and there is no noob-friendly way to the flag.

dhemap isn't actually on the rotation in any of the servers.  I only put it on last night to test the .ent I created with some actual players.  And I must say the .ent worked great =p.  You didn't mention anything about spawn-camping =).

Also edited first post with a bit more information.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
For Supermans Speed 2: Add london, carpathian, discovery, and pbcup_pforest. (unless any of those maps are already on speed #1) Remove napalm and daylight. Add neon just for a day or a few days to see how it plays and how much people like it. No doubt they will dislike it at first because of its complexity and it is hard to navigate, but once they've played it for a good 15 minutes, most people from my experience have figured out the basic layout.

For Suprrmans Pub: Add pbcup_renoir.

For all your servers, change "Supermans" to "Superman's". It makes more grammatical sense that way unless you are talking about multiple Supermans.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
For Supermans Speed 2: Add london, carpathian, discovery, and pbcup_pforest. (unless any of those maps are already on speed #1) Remove napalm and daylight. Add neon just for a day or a few days to see how it plays and how much people like it. No doubt they will dislike it at first because of its complexity and it is hard to navigate, but once they've played it for a good 15 minutes, most people from my experience have figured out the basic layout.

For Suprrmans Pub: Add pbcup_renoir.

For all your servers, change "Supermans" to "Superman's". It makes more grammatical sense that way unless you are talking about multiple Supermans.

carpathian and pbcup_pforest are both on Speed 1.  I am happy with the rotation on both servers for now.

As for your other point I was taught in school that it would actually be Supermans'  (Canadian thing I think).  That confuses most people though so I just left it out.  Using 's for a possessive just look off to me =p.  If I changed it to anything it would be Supermans' Pub/Speed etc..

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
In America, we use 's for singular possessive and s' for plural possessive. For example, if it belongs to the boys, it's "boys'" and if it belongs to Superman, it's "Superman's."

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
In America, we use 's for singular possessive and s' for plural possessive. For example, if it belongs to the boys, it's "boys'" and if it belongs to Superman, it's "Superman's."

Did a bit of research and you are right.  It must have changed since I learned it in grade school.  I am about 90% sure I was taught that any possessive was always s'.  I don't want to be promoting bad grammar so I will change them to "Superman's" =).

Also I just learned that my host has plans on Xen instead of OpenVZ so I am in the process of switching over.  This should drastically improve performance and will hopefully completely eliminate those pesky lag spikes, which I believe are related to the OpenVZ virtualization platform.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
"S'" is only used when the word ends in an "s" already.

Hope the switch helps the lag spikes, though they don't seem to be as bad as of late.  A while back they were unplayable.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
"S'" is only used when the word ends in an "s" already.

Hope the switch helps the lag spikes, though they don't seem to be as bad as of late.  A while back they were unplayable.

They aren't as bad lately because of a recent Kloxo exploit.  Because of this exploit my host has been automatically suspending servers that are using too much CPU.    That is the reason why my servers went down a couple weeks ago.  One of my jump servers crashed and it caused a CPU usage spike, it was caught by their auto suspension script.

Once it is switched over to Xen none of that will matter though since I will have 700Mhz+ of CPU all to myself =).

Edit:  Paintball servers & website have been moved to the new server.  Updated first post with a bit more information.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:01:45 PM by SuperMAn »

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Re: Supermans Server Changes **January 30th 2014
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
Remove grave. No need for a siege map on a speed server.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »
Speaking of Siege, can you add a North American Siege server? That would be awesome!

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
Speaking of Siege, can you add an North American Siege server? That would be awesome!
i thought u was in english honorz

But in all seriousness, Superman's Siege is a good idea. That way you don't have to force grave onto Speed #2.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
i thought u was in english honorz
Whoops, at first I said "American Siege server" instead of "North American Siege server". I edited it to maintain all of North America, because I forgot Superman's servers were located in Canada.
But, since you care, I edited it for your sake. <3

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »
Siege maps are the only thing that make speed servers playable. :P

thai

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 02:23:10 AM »
I think you should have autobalance on because whenever I play it's the same thing... newbies switch to the winning team and it's super annoying