Author Topic: Delta parse_entities + lags + black screen + timed out  (Read 5461 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
Delta parse_entities + lags + black screen + timed out
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
Hello, I have some problems. I know Delta parse_entities was analyzing here on this forum, but I got this:

Delta parse_entities too old.
U_REMOVE: oldnum != newnum

After this I had hard lags all the time, and then after few minutes I got timed out every time... . Yesterday I got this message only 1 time. Today 4 times. Any ideas how to fix it?

Btw: I have black screen in this game just for a milisecond, few times in a week (5-20 times).

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: Delta parse_entities + lags + black screen + timed out
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »
I might post something new for you, but don't be afraid, it's protip.

When you are in serverbrowser, red ping=BAD (yes, higher ping is worse, not better actually). If you don't connect to servers with bad ping, you might save yourself from connection troubles, including (but not limited to): Not being able to move, moving when you are not moving, suddenly stopping, weird error messages about connection.
Hope that you can resolve your issues by simply not connecting to lame-connection servers and save yourself and us trouble.

Bonus: Map called "freedom" has been reported for having many objects, so your problems might be bigger there.

EDIT: We should party because of my 200 post on new account!

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
I play on Euro servers, my ping is from 20-40, server ping was 30-40. Sometimes I am playing on NA servers, matches or Supermans Pub. Ping there: 100-130. I can play normally, no lags, no big ping. Being able to move, not weird messages about connection. I play freedom very well every time without problems. Fps: About 500 but I have stabilized fps to 60. Iam lagging after this mssg only and then just timed out.

... don't write trolling posts lmfao (You just wanted 200th post, or what the hell...)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
Actually, it's no trolling post. Those messages mean your connection is problematic, and this problem is mostly visible on freedom. Could be ping problem, but more likely packet loss or something of this kind.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »
I got this mssg on freedom 2 times, 2 times on airtime and yesterday on ODDJOB map "with too many objects" (20x10 meters map). I can bet all my money on my internet connection. My internet connection isn't problem.

EDIT: I was on wireless yesterday and got this error mssg. Today I was connected through cable via other internet then before, same error mssgs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:04:24 PM by ChrisBrown »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »
Try setting netgraph to 1 so you can monitor your ping and packet loss at the bottom of the screen.  Lots of black lines mean a lot of packet loss, which can result in some of these issues.  What server were you playing on?  Maybe the issue is with the server, not your connection.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
I got this mssg on freedom 2 times, 2 times on airtime and yesterday on ODDJOB map "with too many objects" (20x10 meters map). I can bet all my money on my internet connection. My internet connection isn't problem.

EDIT: I was on wireless yesterday and got this error mssg. Today I was connected through cable via other internet then before, same error mssgs.
Stop behaving like you know everything (because clearly you don't know anything). It is problem with connection between you and server, get over it.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »
Stop behaving like you know everything (because clearly you don't know anything). It is problem with connection between you and server, get over it.

Can we just ban payl and get it over with. I get some bad lags in Superman's server as well, and I live close to the server. I think that's where you mentioned you were playing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:50:56 PM »
Ah, yeah, I've gotten some pretty bad packet loss last time I tried to play on Superman's servers.  It might just be an issue with the server's connection, then.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
I can see 8 tabs with what seems to be the YouTube symbol. Maybe try closing chrome whilst your playing DP, you have soo many tabs open..(Or am I being an idiot?)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Rick: No you aren't an idiot, I had it opened just because I was writing topic and doing screenshot in the same time. Normally I have closed it.

Jitspoe: I can proof it... On some European public servers which I tried it was so well, but on Supermans right opposite. (Screens Added)

But, it happened to me on the server named OTB Match 1. Now, there are playing some ppl, so I will try it ASAP.

EDIT: So, I was on OTB 1 for about 20 mins. In this 20 mins. I got from 35 to 40 black lines. I don't know if this value is bad or not but now i know Iam loosing packets only on OTB and Supermans servers. Thanks for help and solving this problem. I am happy that's not problem in my Internet Connection.

EDIT 2: But other members weren't timed out, kicked or hardly lagged I think, so I am a little bit confused right now. (Talking about OTB Match 1 - match time)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:15:44 PM by ChrisBrown »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »
Is it totally random or often at the same action (new map, new round, map ends, round ends, kill, death, grap, cap...) ?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
I've gotten this error a few times on my servers too, always while playing freedom.

There is an ongoing issue with my servers where there are seemingly random lag spikes every few minutes.
Haven't been able to figure out why though.  CPU and RAM usage on my VPS are always very low, I don't know of a decent tool to monitor the network.  Although my VPS is in a large data center so I'd imagine the network would be the least likely bottleneck.
I initially thought it was due to my servers using Open-VZ instead of Xen, but many other people that host game servers use Open-VZ with great success.

Is it totally random or often at the same action (new map, new round, map ends, round ends, kill, death, grap, cap...) ?
The lag spikes on my server seem to always happen right as a kill, death, grab, cap or new round.
On every other map on my rotations normally there is 0 packet loss, just a ping spike.  However on freedom it often changes into packet loss.

So I have a feeling this might be the normal lag spikes on my server that are being compounded by freedom.

Questions mostly for Jitspoe:  
            Does server performance degrade as the uptime increases?
            Any way to run some type of paintball2 server diagnostics?
            Is there anything I can disable to reduce the amount of resources my servers are using? (logging, auto demos, etc..)
            Any pro mappers want to take a look at freedom and see what the real problem is?  Leak maybe? Or too many entities as jitspoe suggested above?        

Edit:  Did a bit of research about this error.  Some clients who get this error in other games based of the quake engine have had success temporarily solving this problem by deleting their config file and letting the game rebuild a new one.  Anyone want to test?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »
Well, I'm not jitspoe but anyway:
Does server performance degrade as the uptime increases?
It shouldn't but i.e. any memory leak will increase with uptime. If monitoring doesn't say anything, uptime shouldn't be issue.

Is there anything I can disable to reduce the amount of resources my servers are using? (logging, auto demos, etc..)
Probably not, it won't change much. Disabling anticheat server side is not really possible, as it's built in server dll/so.

Any pro mappers want to take a look at freedom and see what the real problem is?  Leak maybe? Or too many entities as jitspoe suggested above?
Freedom has many moving doors and objects, it make up for many entities, but not TOO many. It's likely server connection problem.

Edit:  Did a bit of research about this error.  Some clients who get this error in other games based of the quake engine have had success temporarily solving this problem by deleting their config file and letting the game rebuild a new one.  Anyone want to test?
This is not how you fix bug. Even if it does help a bit, it is not issue.

Superman, it is likely problem with packet loss with UDP on your side, you should test that and report it.

Can we just ban payl and get it over with. I get some bad lags in Superman's server as well, and I live close to the server. I think that's where you mentioned you were playing.
Oh too bad it can be server connection issue. There are two ends at connection, ya know?

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
Superman, it is likely problem with packet loss with UDP on your side, you should test that and report it.

Know any good network monitoring programs that work on Centos?

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
Oh too bad it can be server connection issue. There are two ends at connection, ya know?

That's why I said I live close, and it's still an issue, thanks for repeating the point.

iftop might work, http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-fedora-redhat-install-iftop-bandwidth-monitoring-tool/

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
Paintball itself has netgraph, just tested it, and this is your problem: packet loss that happens in massive amounts at once (black rectangle on netgraph). It seems like usually it works okay, sometimes it just drops UDP packets like rocket (have seen small packet drop sometimes, but it was big).

Btw. I recently have addiction of adding x to my screenshot names, so I can share it instantly with jitspoe.

iftop might work, http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-fedora-redhat-install-iftop-bandwidth-monitoring-tool/
I approve in trying to help, but don't do it unless you have knowledge in it, it's just not helping.
As for good UDP monitor, hm, dunno, maybe simple ping can handle it? Just you will have to set it up over longer time and make sure you sample it fast.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
Hmm I never get packet loss like that on my servers,  I can upload a ss of my netgraph later.  I want to monitor from the server, not from a client.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
iftop does monitor packets, but alright.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »
Things like kills, deaths, caps, and grabs (anything that prints out a message and is critical to gameplay) use reliable messages.  That means the message keeps being resent until it is acknowledged.  This can cause a bit of a snowball effect as more and more data needs to be sent -- data gets resent, adding more data overall to be sent, which causes more packets to be dropped, which means more data needs to be resent...

If other updates are dropped, you may miss the sound of somebody firing or see some jerky entity movement, but nothing major.

The only issue I'm aware of with long uptimes is, if the same map runs for a long period of time, the platforms can get wonky.  I'm not aware of any issues with long uptimes on regularly cycling maps.  Certainly not anything resource or bandwidth related.

I don't know of any good diagnostic tools offhand.

Disabling logging would reduce resource usage... but it would mostly be disk space.  I guess it's possible that your server has really slow disk access and it's causing a hitch every time something is written to the log, which would cause problems.  This shouldn't be the case, but maybe the hardware is bad.  If the lag spikes only happen for certain people, it's probably a routing issue.