Author Topic: Revlective water enabled --> Warp=Water  (Read 1521 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Revlective water enabled --> Warp=Water
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:10 AM »
Im planing to make a jump map at the moment and I had the idea to use the Warp ability for the design of the map. I let ic3y test the 3 first levels and he told me that hes seeing water at the top of the boxes. I didnt see that because I didnt have Water reflection enabled.
Look for yourself what happened when I enabled it:

In the 1st screen its disabled, in the 2nd its enabled.
Does anybody have an idea how to fix that?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
Re: Revlective water enabled --> Warp=Water
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »
Maybe you accidently put a water flag on that face which would make the texture flow. Click on that face in BSP and see what flags it has on it.

edit: is entirely possible you clicked water instead of warp as they look very similar.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
Warp:

Water:

When you use the water textures on a brush, notice how 'warp' is enabled too? Warp just distorts the texture in a motion that makes it appear to 'flow'.

When reflective water is enabled, it also effects the warp itself.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to stop this reflective effect happening on the warp. I just recommend making the brush that the warp is on as vibrant and saturated as possible, making it look like a warp and not water. Using colors that are dark/black don't work well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
Warp is a surface flag, water is a contents flag.  Since the reflections are handled at the surface level, the warp flag is the only way to determine if it should have reflection.  Water means you can go inside the brush and swim around in it.