Author Topic: cargo_b2 FlagCap-Contest  (Read 3566 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
cargo_b2 FlagCap-Contest
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
I thought about making a FlagCap-Contest with one of the newer beta maps. I decided to take cargo_b2 by Ace (Ace, if you don't want this map to get used in this contest, tell me and I will try finding another map or delete this topic).

Aim
The aim is to grab and cap the flag as fast as possible. The time counts from grabbing the flag till capping it due "unfair" spawns. cl_timestamp 1 must be enabled to see the time from grabbing till capping.

Mapdownload
https://mega.co.nz/#!aFNW2b4L!DJpgQHoNNAZ4fkuo78kVATKjmlFOfVQBOnC_M6_ODDQ

Rules
- demo required
- must be on a local server
- cvar_set gravity 800
- cl_timestamp 1

Ranking
1. prozajik (7 sec.)
2. jitspoe (8 sec.)
3. JMR/MaTzeMR (9 sec.)
4. blaa (21 sec.)

Would be nice if you all participate!
You can upload more than one demo if you can have a faster time than the last time.

End
The end of the contest is 31st of January 9pm CET.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:29:41 PM by MaTzeMR »

Ace

• Autococker
Re: cargo_b2 FlagCap-Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »
I don't mind at all, but I could upload what I have for b3, it's quite a bit different than b2. It's up to you.

Side note, should probably pick a single spawn point (or at home flag), and just include a start and end time in your post, rather than subtracting from 20.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
I don't mind at all, but I could upload what I have for b3, it's quite a bit different than b2. It's up to you.
Hm if you mean uploading a new beta with "upload" I could "restart" the contest, as long as there are no replies till then.
Also would be nice if you could upload a demo / take part, so we can maybe see some jumps we don't know.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:11 PM »
What's the point in this contest and what do I win when I win?

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »
What's the point in this contest and what do I win when I win?
Its for having fun and compare with other players. I think some people are so muc focused on getiing money or other prizes... sad...

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
Like this, its pretty unfair, because its really a matter of a good spawn. I suggest you change rules and count only the time between grab and cap. Or think of some other way to make it fair.

Tryout
cl_timestamp 1
command, i think it would help count the time much better than all the commands above.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
Like this, its pretty unfair, because its really a matter of a good spawn. I suggest you change rules and count only the time between grab and cap. Or think of some other way to make it fair.

Tryout
cl_timestamp 1
command, i think it would help count the time much better than all the commands above.
Thanks prozajik you are right. Post updated with new rules.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
My suggestion if you want it. As much as I like the jumping and timing part of this game, the q2 jumpmod would be a much better place for this as there is a start/end and a good system already in place. If someone that has the server files from past q2 servers (clipz, ic3y recently) would want to start this up again, but with maps from dp instead of quake. The problem is then adding the correct ents and spawns as most mappers aren't around anymore. Something like this would be more successful and more accurate. Possibly add versions of popular maps where a specific spawn is picked, and the opposite flag is turned into the end point. Could be fun, but would be a chore.

Overall, cool idea that could be expanded into a fun minigame that might actually fit the game better than a jump mod would. I know the jump feature is old news, but something like this might be a little more realistically considered to be added to the game.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
You know, it's funny, when I was working on judging these maps, I was thinking we needed a feature to display the time it took to capture a flag.  It'd be perfect for things like this. :)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:31 AM »
One more thing, players should always upload demo, like JMR did. Because you could just place flag somewhere close to cap and screen the times. Yea sure, who would cheat in a contest like this, but you are never too sure :p

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 04:05:44 AM »
prozajik

Time: 7 seconds

Demo:http://banterous.co.uk/demo/1022

Screen:

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
MaTzeMR

Time: 9 seconds

Demo: http://banterous.co.uk/demo/1023

Screen:

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
blaa

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
I would compete if there was considerable prize: Hacking your server to teleport you seems legit.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
I don't think seconds are precise enough for this, but it's not easy to do anything more precise right now.  I ended up with 8 seconds.  Didn't watch the other demos, but I imagine we all probably did about the same thing:

Edit: Ignore the path start/stop stuff.  Bot debugging. :)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
Congratz prozo! :)
Thanks to all for participating. Mybe there will be another contest, then with a price perhaps.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Hah, well thanks, fun competition :D
Also, idea for another competition which might get more attention, topspeed contest. I know there were some already (shk's video and rassy's video), but why not make it for a specific map which would change each week for example? Might be fun and much more precise then seconds ;).

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »
Also, idea for another competition which might get more attention, topspeed contest. I know there were some already (shk's video and rassy's video), but why not make it for a specific map which would change each week for example? Might be fun and much more precise then seconds ;).

fly1 4 life

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
do you mean making a new map by specific map, that is made for getting a high speed? that would actually be a cool idea.