Author Topic: Players advertising in Paintball2 Forums?  (Read 10688 times)

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
Re: Players advertising in Paintball2 Forums?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I can not say how much data is read everytime someone opens a profile site, but as all information that is read from the harddrive is then sent to the client asking for that data, the bandwidth that is created is a pretty good indicator about what serverload has been produced by this request.
Here is something I tried to inform you about: Amount of data you get is not proportional to CPU/HDD time, take "search" function as example. But you will keep saying that amount of data is good meter, no it's not.

How do you know that I was not there?
This surely means you weren't there otherwise you would say so.

searching for "forum lag" in this forum does not return any results
There are lags now, yet no topic (nor your search would find it). Are you done with your nonsense?

Is it my fault if you don't know the circumstances?
Is it my fault?
Or maybe I said it's your fault?

but I think that loading one thread creates a much higher server load because much more content has to be read out of the database
This content can and will be cached.

So when 260 people are online and at least half of them use the forum while being online this should result in a much bigger read activity on the servers hard drives.
Take your time understanding how this number was calculated. Most of those people could be refered and only view main page. Also this was in 2007, hint: other forum version and server configuration?

Yes, it doesn't rule it out, but it is pretty different from what you would expect from a constant high server load, which a DOS attack typically produces. A more typical sign would be high response time or no response at all, but continuously at all the time and not just from time to time for a few minutes.
It does not rule out DOS attack, it just shows that it isn't that effective. Also nobody accused you of DoS attack, it was unintended so symptoms will vary.

I was NOT loading big chunks out of the database, why do you think that? Have you ever seen a user profile page? For most of the profiles no more than 1000 chars = 1Kb has to be read. For every thread you load more than this amount * 10 of data has to be read in order to send all posts to the client.
80% of traffic is same thing over and over, data that is very rarely used is not cached. Also it's funny how you think databases work.

Most of the indicators you thought you had against me are only uncertain or even wrong things and from these uncertain indicators you drew a wrong conclusion and even officially said that the forum lags were my fault!
Quit whining.

you didn't even apologize.
I don't like people that whine all the time.

But I would definitely not have wrongly accused someone in an official forum while not having more than indicators.
You accuse me of being wrong, while you only have indicators that say you weren't DoSing it. You don't have any proof it wasn't you, you don't have any logs. I feel so wrongly accused, I should whine just like you.

I don't want this to become a discussion about personal things and I won't answer to any replies on this, but please just think about what you post and what effect this might have on the user you are addressing in your post.
Go kill yourself, I said something bad about you.
Seriously, quit whining, it's just boring me and I don't want to come to common conclusion with person that can only whine about how he was treated.

After a long while I came to the conclusion that pretty much every captcha is crackable but that ReCaptcha was not
Everything is crackable, it's question how much time/money you invest into cracking it.

While reading site jitspoe mentioned, something called proof of work came into my mind. It's basically just hashing some string until X first bits are not set. It will make bots have to wait in order to register. Making this correctly long will pretty much ruin sense of trying to register for bots, yet humans will be able to generate this while they are filling data.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
Go kill yourself, I said something bad about you.
Seriously, quit whining
Whining:Complaining in a childish manner. Complaining in a petulant way. You telling someone to "kill themselfs" shows that you are complaining about them; therefore you want them dead. Thus, an childish form of act is performed by telling someone to do that. Because a muture person of society would not tell someone to kill themselfs.  Its ironic eh? You tell him to stop whining, even though he is defending himself in a moderate way, while you tell him to go kill himself. Whining indeed.

Let me clear some misconseptions you got here. Obv_not_payl=Payl=Zaltekk. madbro? Wondering how I know this? Lolol bud. Should do a scan on your computer br0 lolol. Lol0l. Lol0l.

Anyways, the server lag could of been an attack? By hackers maybe? Payl *cough* *Zaltekk* why are you so certain that it was richard that caused the lag?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=213535.msg3561742#msg3561742 - after reading some people's experience with the reCaptcha mod, I'm a little hesitant to try it.

I'm just going to change one of the registration questions for now.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Whining:Complaining in a childish manner. Complaining in a petulant way. You telling someone to "kill themselfs" shows that you are complaining about them; therefore you want them dead. Thus, an childish form of act is performed by telling someone to do that. Because a muture person of society would not tell someone to kill themselfs.  Its ironic eh? You tell him to stop whining, even though he is defending himself in a moderate way, while you tell him to go kill himself. Whining indeed.

Let me clear some misconseptions you got here. Obv_not_payl=Payl=Zaltekk. madbro? Wondering how I know this? Lolol bud. Should do a scan on your computer br0 lolol. Lol0l. Lol0l.

Anyways, the server lag could of been an attack? By hackers maybe? Payl *cough* *Zaltekk* why are you so certain that it was richard that caused the lag?
Nice try Toxiic, but I'm not that simple to troll. Better luck next time.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=213535.msg3561742#msg3561742 - after reading some people's experience with the reCaptcha mod, I'm a little hesitant to try it.

I'm just going to change one of the registration questions for now.
You can try proof of work, this would be virtually impossible to hack if written correctly and would cause boters to wait before they could register (which means it's harder to register therefore not making $$$).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof-of-work_system

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »
Nice try Toxiic, but I'm not that simple to troll. Better luck next time.
Your right, your not zaltekk. Zaltekk had a better grasp of english then you do.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:26:13 PM by Toxiic »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Since there was a mod readily available that was simple to install, I'm just going to quickly try reCaptcha and see how well it does.  Let me know if you see any new spam accounts.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2014, 05:54:45 AM »
Since there was a mod readily available that was simple to install, I'm just going to quickly try reCaptcha and see how well it does.  Let me know if you see any new spam accounts.
Oh well... http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26896.msg244526
Also, why am I getting Php session ID in URL rather than in cookie? Update PHP maybe?

I would suggest you try PoF with some simpler captcha (i.e. person is always able to solve it). It would confuse bots, and there would be no other solution than to wait.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Well, reCaptcha didn't work for crap.  Sorry for all the spam.  I've switched it back to what it was before.

Oh well... http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26896.msg244526
Also, why am I getting Php session ID in URL rather than in cookie? Update PHP maybe?

I would suggest you try PoF with some simpler captcha (i.e. person is always able to solve it). It would confuse bots, and there would be no other solution than to wait.
I finally got the upgrade to work, so maybe the php session id has something to do with that, but I haven't seen this.

What do you mean by "PoF"?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »
Well, reCaptcha didn't work for crap.  Sorry for all the spam.  I've switched it back to what it was before.
I finally got the upgrade to work, so maybe the php session id has something to do with that, but I haven't seen this.
I'm not sure, I get it on my WindowsPhone all the time and on Opera sometimes (but it seems to be gone for now).

What do you mean by "PoF"?
Aw typo, I meant "PoW" - Proof of Work.
I can tell you general implementation on priv/mail if you wish to. Generally it would force registering computer to perform some task that would take some reasonable time to complete in order to register. So bots would have to wait to register assuming they have enough time (and computing power) to do that. If bots will be patient enough we can always make this time longer until they resign (assuming legit people wouldn't resign first). I think bots would likely move on rather than waste their time being unable to register.