Author Topic: DayZ in Paintball?  (Read 7111 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
DayZ in Paintball?
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I was watching some gameplays of the game DayZ on YouTube and I really liked the idea and how it plays.
So i started trying to make a DayZ map in Paintball, which is quite hard because there is a lot of detail needed to make it look professional. I will attach a little screenshot below.
So the actual point of this topic is that I need help with such a big project. First I'd like to know if people will even like this idea and if so I'd like to know if there are guys who want to make such a map.
Feel free to write ideas, feedback or if you wanna help below. (Please no flaming :D)

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

MaTzeMR

People who help mapping
- thaifun http://www.dplogin.com/index.php?action=viewmember&playerid=137304
- open_war http://dplogin.com/index.php?action=viewmember&playerid=163367
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:23:46 AM by MaTzeMR »

SaWiX

• PGP
Re: DayZ in Paintball?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »
no

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
well thanks for the clear answer. I'll wait for other opinions tho.

EDIT:  I talked with taifun on skype, hes a pretty experienced and great mapper but he did never actually release a map. He likes the idea and will help me. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:47:35 AM by MaTzeMR »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
yes, go ahead and create a 225 kmĀ² map for dp2.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
yeah, sad that bsp has such a little range but we will try filling every corner to make it big enough for dp.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
you won't be able to make a big enough map. I don't see the point- why not just play dayz? It is kind of inconseivable how you could make this work. Alternatively, make a hide and seek map. Alot of people (especially in europe) get on ts3 once in a while to play hide and seek on this game. It is very fun.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
I thought JMR made a hide and seek map? Well, just wait till this map is finished, then you can still decide if it's a bad or good idea.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
The only feature DayZ has I would like to get implemented into DP2 would be the possibility to infect the enemy with aids.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »
the paintball suits can also be used as full body condom to protect yourself of aids.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
Cool. Something new in DP2 will be good. I like this idea =]

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
thanks squeeze

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
all of JMR's maps are for hide and seek.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Message removed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:52:38 PM by JMR »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
abandon.bsp is the only map I've played hide and seek on.

As for DayZ... well... that style of map doesn't work well with this engine.  It's designed for corridors with lots of occlusion, not large, open areas.  Maps in that spirit (large with lots of places to loot/explore, but not necessarily wide open) will need to be made if we ever make a zombie mode, though.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
mutated DP player models would work, we could use JMR's physique as a stencil.

User banned for this post.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:56:38 PM by jitspoe »

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:19 AM »
MaTze, i'm with ya! Lets geht this done!

I know a basic system of how to create such a big map...
I thought about a RPG in Paintball Zoo so why not switch over to DayZ? Will be pretty cool and very different  too!

To the system that i said:
Make several Layers oft the world that splitts a big map Into smaller squares!
In that way you can make a big (freakin huge) map and connect everything with teleporters...
I know i know thats a lot oft work to do with mapping and you need a little bit knowledge oft how to do those Lasers and how to make them look like those are one big thing...
There is one requirement for such a map! You need fog to avoid seeing through the end oft the layer!

In my vipek map that ive done, matze you know what i mean, you can See that usinh too mich Clippers and maxing out the size of bsp will cause heave fps drops! I think he bot the style with the grass and everything from my map... Maybe i inspired you and gave you the idea of how to get it to work!?

Performance issues are everywhere on such projects and won't be easy to avoid Fps drops!

Now to the mechanics of how it works, how to get ammunition, how to get weapons and so on... In a RPG its very easy because you just have to make a triggered shop and then you can unlock the trigger by triggering something else...

OK back to the mechanics XD... Make abandoned buildings that contain little amount of ammunition... Just little 25packs around...
I would like to have a shop but I really think that this won't happen! Its just not possible in MP!

Just make drops and items wander around the map would be good but bad too because they would respawn and everybody could get an autococker by just waiting... What a stupid system, isn't it?
I think that it would be possible to let those items drop down after those had been taken... Do items fall through clipbrushes? Also it would be possible to work with the size of the items... Make a hole with an elevator that is up and will be triggered when somebody goes over it and only the item will be able to fall down because of its size... Mazbe that works, maybe not!

Anyway I'm with that project! I really would like to see a techdemo of how the mechanics could work but I think I will do that for you... ;D

See you soon!

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »
nice to hear open war, Im on mobile atm but Ill list you up when im on pc again. thanks.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:37 AM »
i think there is a possibility from quake 2 to link several maps (levels). And it was somehow reemplemented with tutorial map. trigger_changelevel or something

promarijan

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 08:52:59 AM »
I thought Mord about layers which are connected through teleporters... I know too much of that is bad too but the project itself is not fps friendly at all... But we knew that from the beginning!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Teleporters would only really work if you had specific points to go from section to section (ex: doorway).  They wouldn't work well for an open area.  The other problem with having all this map area is that you will likely run into compiler errors (MAX_PATCHES, etc.).