Author Topic: Consciousness Due to Quantum Physics in the Brain?  (Read 2053 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Consciousness Due to Quantum Physics in the Brain?
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:54:56 AM »
In doing research on neural nets and trying to figure out how the brain works, I happened to come across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUVot-4GPM - Stuart Hameroff on Singularity 1 on 1: Consciousness is More than Computation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEATDhaZyVA - another video, though this one is painful to watch because of the interviewer

I haven't read their paper yet, but it sounds like there's some experimental backing behind their theory now:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

I had suspected that something must be happening at the quantum level in the brain in order to qualify it at as an observer for things like the double slit experiment.  The idea that the "soul" is something that could be scientifically discovered at the quantum level had also crossed my mind.

It always amazes me how it seems every day I find that the universe is more complicated than I thought.  Neurons are insanely complex as it is, without quantum physics thrown into the mix...

Toxiic

• Autococker
Re: Consciousness Due to Quantum Physics in the Brain?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »
Humanity knows nothing about neurons, just like cancer. We also know nothing about the universe, just like our oceans. I think there is a "better" form of physics then quantum physics. Just like how classical physics was turned down and quantum physics came.

"As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious."
~ Albert Schweitzer

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
Humanity knows nothing about neurons, just like cancer. We also know nothing about the universe, just like our oceans. I think there is a "better" form of physics then quantum physics. Just like how classical physics was turned down and quantum physics came.

"As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious."
~ Albert Schweitzer
I'm not sure why you think we understand nothing about neurons and cancer.  Read a biology book.  They are insanely complex, but we have a pretty good understanding of how neurons work at classical level.  That said, knowing all the details on how the mechanics in a vehicle work will not, alone, make you able to win a race.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
This kind of stuff is probably too complex for this game but if you want to do it then go ahead. It would be awesome to create the most advanced bots in the gaming industry.

"Never doubt jitspoe's ability to do cool things."
~ BASEBALLDUDE

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
I think the player base will shrink significantly if quantum computers become a requirement.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
I'm not sure why you think we understand nothing about neurons and cancer.  Read a biology book.  They are insanely complex, but we have a pretty good understanding of how neurons work at classical level.  That said, knowing all the details on how the mechanics in a vehicle work will not, alone, make you able to win a race.
Matter of fact I did happen to read a biology book. I also happen to do Biology 35i which is equivalent of UofA bio 101 or 110. Not sure why you would think I haven't read a biology book, l0l its a requirement for people who study in Canada. Also, I have family friends who works for both Health Canada and University of Alberta (research facility), who have said in very clear words that "we have not come 1% close to a cure for cancer"; if I can recall correcting she even said every clearly that neurons are just known at a very very basic way(what biology books have). My talk with her was about a year ago on this topic, its possible that we have advanced to a new level of understanding about neuron and cancer; but not probable. Also its like saying we know a lot about the universe; even though we know very little. We see this "little" knowledge as something "huge" even though its very general. Oh yea, she's a doctor as well. Also that analogy does not messure up, or maybe I didn't understand it. Furthermore, I don't know why you took what I said into absolute meaning, even though, what I said was according to the quote. But your right, I should of not said "nothing" but rather "basic" or "little". That's my bad.

This kind of stuff is probably too complex for this game but if you want to do it then go ahead. It would be awesome to create the most advanced bots in the gaming industry.

"Never doubt jitspoe's ability to do cool things."
~ BASEBALLDUDE
Lol0l. That be amazing :D we litterly would not need to care about other users to stick around and clan match and play this game. We would have bots! Also, it be the birth of Terminator.

I think the player base will shrink significantly if quantum computers become a requirement.
who cares?! The bots would have a conscious of themselves, this game would litterly not need a "game population".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:26:26 PM by Toxiic »

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »
Toxiic, you're taking 1 or 2 peoples opinions and making it seem like its fact. In their opinion we are nowhere near a cure to cancer. But lets be real for a second - they have no idea. The people you are speaking with are night highly touted researchers who actually know. And we understand what cancer is, we just don't have a guaranteed cure to it.

You can't say our knowledge is small without discovering more. You're ASSUMING there's more to the universe, and we know a small amount. That's a hypothesis. Prove it? The undiscovered doesn't imply we don't know it. We have theories that have no been falsified, and they claim we do know a lot about the world. You ignore what we do know about the world, which is a lot, and assume there is greater unknown.

And your stuff about biology, you pretty much just said "I have a first year university understanding of biology, and talked to some people in the medical profession" -- That is soooo little. Health canada is a joke, and university professors are just opinionated and explain their opinion. And you've got such a minor understanding. First year biology at university is entry level, generics about everything. They don't put detail. You haven't learned a thing about biology, so stop speaking as if you know stuff.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
I always love reading review articles (the ones the news article you posted sourced). One of the sources in there was a pretty nice read. We read this one for a health psych class a bit ago oddly enough. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364661300017745