Poll

How long can be saved a name by players they are never come back?

6 months
4 (10%)
1 year
4 (10%)
2 years
9 (22.5%)
3 years
1 (2.5%)
5 years
3 (7.5%)
10 years
2 (5%)
for ever
17 (42.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Dead Nicknames  (Read 12044 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Dead Nicknames
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
And what happens when the email used to register is not active anymore?

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
If someone's email is not active anymore and he does not remember to edit his account then it can't be that important for him to keep his names. Maybe a list of accounts whose nicks are going to expire and whose owner's email is not active anymore could be published so old friends could try to contact the owner of the account. If thats not possible then it's a misfortune for the account owner, but at some point old and unused accounts have to be deleted and if the account owner does not have any connection to paintball anymore his name should not be registered forever.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
To take an idea from private torrent trackers: stick around long enough and / or contribute something, and your account is protected from inactivity pruning.  That way people who are/were known for a decent period of time are protected from pruning, and names that were barely used can expire with/without notification.  Not sure how it would be implemented though.

Also, there are plenty of unused nicknames in a single account, so you would need to decide whether you are a) account pruning or b) name pruning.  They are two different things to me.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
If someone's email is not active anymore and he does not remember to edit his account then it can't be that important for him to keep his names. Maybe a list of accounts whose nicks are going to expire and whose owner's email is not active anymore could be published so old friends could try to contact the owner of the account. If thats not possible then it's a misfortune for the account owner, but at some point old and unused accounts have to be deleted and if the account owner does not have any connection to paintball anymore his name should not be registered forever.

Uhh terrible idea. Alot of people don't have the same email or even a way to contact old clan mates. There are unlimited names to choose from. If someone one can't think of one that is their own fault.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
If someone one can't think of one that is their own fault.

Exactly, get over it.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Lol... This username (shtspoe) is reserved. To creat nicknames is so stupid here.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
names don't make legends. Who cares if you have to come back under a new name cause someone stole your name.

If you're good, you'll be good regardless of your name. It doesn't matter what username your skill is under. Someone can take MyeRs, but they'll never be as good as me. I can use another nickname and be the name.

Just like team names (because of the tag more so than names) should have expiry dates.

It's not about the brand, it's about the quality of the product.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
It's not about the brand, it's about the quality of the product.
Which is why companies spend millions of dollars buying other companies, names, copyrights, etc...

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
Which is why companies spend millions of dollars buying other companies, names, copyrights, etc...

Cause people are weak and fall into peer pressure of society to conform to the norm by assuming a name on a plain white T-shirt creates a better social stigma.

But the DP2 community is made up of strong individuals. So it becomes an ideal society where we do not fall into the peer pressure of the brand. We create style, we don't follow.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 01:30:09 AM »
lold at strong individuals.

I think name removal is fine, if people havent played for lets say 5+ years, who gives a flying intercourse if they keep their name or not; infact id bet most of those players wouldnt care either, seeing as theyve left the game.

carvell

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
5+ years is too long. Changes happen constantly. If a player didn't find time to open their games for years then probably they lost their interest. So, I guess being inactive for 1 year can remove your name.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
i think its really ok as it is. This is one really unique part of this game and
it's good you can recognize certain celebrities because they are the only ones that may use their nick.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
celebrities
Wow, am I a celebrity here too? Would assume yes after yesterday like 3ppl were asking if Paylord=Payl and came to conclusion I'm not payl. Well, obviously I am not.

I would see it this way: If someone requests removing a name so he can take it, he can donate some $$$ to jitspoe and then if this account wasn't well known in community at some point, he will get this name.
This would have few pros:
1. Jitspoe can get a little $$$ of this.
2. It would prevent 'celebrities' being removed (assuming they were celebrities to begin with).
3. Everyone can get name he wants so bad.
Of course this $$$ would be to compensate for jitspoes time doing that and it would prevent people from asking about it too much.

5+ years is too long. Changes happen constantly. If a player didn't find time to open their games for years then probably they lost their interest. So, I guess being inactive for 1 year can remove your name.
This game was around for a very long time, and I think there are people that came back after >1year.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »

I agree with this.  I don't think names should be registered forever.  If a someone hasn't played in 3-5 years and they don't check their email I don't think they care about the game that much.

I would see it this way: If someone requests removing a name so he can take it, he can donate some $$$ to jitspoe and then if this account wasn't well known in community at some point, he will get this name.
This would have few pros:
1. Jitspoe can get a little $$$ of this.
2. It would prevent 'celebrities' being removed (assuming they were celebrities to begin with).
3. Everyone can get name he wants so bad.
Of course this $$$ would be to compensate for jitspoes time doing that and it would prevent people from asking about it too much.
This game was around for a very long time, and I think there are people that came back after >1year.

I kinda like this idea but I think it can be improved.
Instead of donating to steal someones name I think something like a "Premium Account" would be better.  Pay a one-time fee to have a "Premium Account".  Could have multiple benefits including:  
1.  Name/Account is never deleted
2.  Maybe some special icon next to your name in-game to show off
3.  +v in #paintball  (:p)
4.  Name on your jersey in-game (if that feature is ever finished)
5.  Maybe reduce the amount of names a normal account can have from 10 to 5 and then allow "Premium Accounts" to have 10.
6.  etc..

7.  Jitspoe makes enough money to quit his job and work on dp full time.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I agree with this.  I don't think names should be registered forever.  If a someone hasn't played in 3-5 years and they don't check their email I don't think they care about the game that much.

Instead of donating to steal someones name I think something like a "Premium Account" would be better.  Pay a one-time fee to have a "Premium Account".  Could have multiple benefits including: 
1.  Name/Account is never deleted
2.  Maybe some special icon next to your name in-game to show off
3.  +v in #paintball  (:p)
4.  Name on your jersey in-game (if that feature is ever finished)
5.  Maybe reduce the amount of names a normal account can have from 10 to 5 and then allow "Premium Accounts" to have 10.
6.  etc..

Me likey.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
Instead of donating to steal someones name I think something like a "Premium Account" would be better.  Pay a one-time fee to have a "Premium Account".  Could have multiple benefits including: 
1.  Name/Account is never deleted
2.  Maybe some special icon next to your name in-game to show off
3.  +v in #paintball  (:p)
4.  Name on your jersey in-game (if that feature is ever finished)
5.  Maybe reduce the amount of names a normal account can have from 10 to 5 and then allow "Premium Accounts" to have 10.
6.  etc..
I don't quite like this idea: Fees would be one-time, and since there aren't that many people playing it wouldn't be any bigger amount of cash. Jitspoe already tried with ads, we know how it ended (not sure why he haven't got to any other ad vendor, tho. He was planning something If I recall correctly).
I actually intended it more to be fee-for-his-time, not P2W or P2F (Pay to fap).
I think jitspoe should focus on packing game with more features if he want to get money of it (but seems he doesn't want whatsoever).
I think reducing limit on names is even more ridiculous: It was intended to stop people from multiaccount (so reduce jitspoe time investment into those), but now we want to probably make a bit of money for this? I don't like this.

Prime24

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:35 PM »
I voted 6 months

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
An alternative suggestion:

limit to one nickname per account. Then there will be plenty of names left instead of folks taking up multiple names.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
An alternative suggestion:

limit to one nickname per account. Then there will be plenty of names left instead of folks taking up multiple names.

STAY!!

OT: That will help create more multi-accounts. It will serve as counterproductive; since the "ten nicknames" were meant to eliminate/reduce name stealing. I believe that "one nick per acc" will only work once a proper XP/Rank and Stats system is implemented.

Neoterra

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
Back to this topic.^^

If i looked on the polls, i can see the most people donĀ“t want have saved names forever. Pls hear it jitspoe and take a time like 3 years. It is really fair.