Author Topic: Mobile Gaming Can Suck My Coc  (Read 2124 times)

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
Mobile Gaming Can Suck My Coc
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Clash of Clans (Coc for short) and Flappy Bird are the two symbols of the downfall of mobile gaming. Coc is not very fun to play. It proves that all you need to do to create a top app store game is a very slow campaign mode, but with lots of small little objectives to make it seem like you're making good progress. It seems that everyone's goal who plays Coc is to upgrade everything and "max out." This goal takes an incredibly long time to accomplish and will have addicts playing Coc nonstop. Forget about the actual fun and excitement of gameplay; all you need is a constant flow of missions and objectives and you've got the number one app on the app store.

The other thing about Coc that I really hate is the freemium nature of the game. The game is designed to be slow and tedious, but you can easily speed up the process as long as you are willing to pay them large sums of money. It's a free game, and yet they've made so much money that they can afford full-scale TV commercials. These commercials are paid for by the addicts who are paying real money on a free game. All in all, Clash of Clans can suck my Coc.

Flappy Bird is the other sign of the mobile gaming apocalypse. How does an incredibly simple, poorly designed game instantly become the top game on the app store? Doesn't the complete and total monotony of the game ever get boring? I guess people are so frustrated with how hard an easy-looking game can be. Flappy Bird thrives on frustration and all those negative emotions.

The other thing about Flappy Bird that is direct proof of the mobile gaming industry's downfall is deaths. I heard that there have been eight deaths that resulted from Flappy Bird, including the maker himself committing suicide because he can't handle the publicity. Why die over a stupid trifle like Flappy Bird?  EDIT: Most of the stuff in this paragraph is probably fiction.

Even though the last paragraph is fictitious, the numerous death threats the maker of this came has received is a problem. Have a problem with Flappy bird? Get over it and play something a lot better like DP:PB2.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:37:49 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Mobile Gaming Can Suck My Coc
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »
Clash of Clans (Coc for short) and Flappy Bird are the two symbols of the downfall of mobile gaming. Coc is not very fun to play. It proves that all you need to do to create a top app store game is a very slow campaign mode, but with lots of small little objectives to make it seem like you're making good progress. It seems that everyone's goal who plays Coc is to upgrade everything and "max out." This goal takes an incredibly long time to accomplish and will have addicts playing Coc nonstop. Forget about the actual fun and excitement of gameplay; all you need is a constant flow of missions and objectives and you've got the number one app on the app store.

The other thing about Coc that I really hate is the freemium nature of the game. The game is designed to be slow and tedious, but you can easily speed up the process as long as you are willing to pay them large sums of money. It's a free game, and yet they've made so much money that they can afford full-scale TV commercials. These commercials are paid for by the addicts who are paying real money on a free game. All in all, Clash of Clans can suck my Coc.
Long-play casual gaming is still terrible like it always has been? Shock.

The other thing about Flappy Bird that is direct proof of the mobile gaming industry's downfall is deaths. I heard that there have been eight deaths that resulted from Flappy Bird, including the maker himself committing suicide because he can't handle the publicity. Why die over a stupid trifle like Flappy Bird?
That never happened, why would you believe that for a moment, what is wrong with you

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »
Never played Clash of Clans, even though all my friends do, and I have a fear that if I play it once, I'll be addicted.

As for Flappy Bird, I've learned one lesson: Life is hard, but Flappy Bird is harder

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »
That never happened, why would you believe that for a moment, what is wrong with you
Oops, sorry. Forget to check my facts. Apparently it's only a rumor that he committed suicide. My new theory is that he started this rumor hoping that people would stop threatening him thinking he's already dead. As for the 7 other deaths, I haven't gotten much info on that either.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
Oops, sorry. Forget to check my facts. Apparently it's only a rumor that he committed suicide. My new theory is that he started this rumor hoping that people would stop threatening him thinking he's already dead. As for the 7 other deaths, I haven't gotten much info on that either.
He can barely speak English, he didn't start the rumour. He just wants everyone to leave him alone to make more fairly standard 8bit-styled implementations of twenty year old game concepts.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »
Actually, flappy bird I think is one of the few examples of a game designer with morals (potentially):

http://www.universityherald.com/articles/7443/20140211/flappy-bird-deleted-because-games-addictive-nature-troubled-creator-dong-nguyen.htm

Now... a gazillion clones are going to come out to fill its place just make money off of it from developers without morals...

I agree, though, with your general complaint.  This isn't new, and it isn't specific to mobile games.  Practically every game has to have some kind of feature that exploits the human psyche in order to be successful.  It's super annoying.  It takes people away from playing the games that are just fun to play, because people would rather watch pointless numbers increase than actually have fun.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3259

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:14 AM »
Go to a mobile games conference and see how much they talk about games, spoiler not at all its a greedy industry.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 04:30:28 AM »
Flappy bird is now gone in the app store!

Seriously change the topic name sometimes I got confused.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
Go to a mobile games conference and see how much they talk about games, spoiler not at all its a greedy industry.
No kidding! I used to play Real Racing 3 when it was greedy but still possible to complete. Now it's impossible unless you either put in 300 hours or pay them $300.

This is why DP is my favorite video game. The only way to rise up in the ranks is through pure skill. There is no meaningless counter. It has the most fun gameplay. It takes a really long time to master your skills at this game, and having a superior skillset is a lot better of an accomplishment than having a high level.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:43:33 AM by Squeeze »

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
Splashy fish is the new flappy bird.