Author Topic: sPcup Framework || Beta 1  (Read 9239 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
sPcup Framework || Beta 1
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

Greetings!
I am proud to announce the release of the 2nd spcup map, built by Mission and Me(JMR).

This map plays best with 3v3+.

Current version: Beta 1

Bugs I know need fixing for the next beta:
• Make base metal balcony look a lot nicer.

Information:

• 1 Flag per base (5pts each)
• Cap on the flag
• Spawn with: loaded co2, chrome barrel and a carbine.
• Loc files coming soon

Screenshots:

Downloads:

• Current beta download: http://1drv.ms/1d0QSiz

• Mapshot [Save as:spcup_framework_b1.jpg ]
http://i.imgur.com/Ea9L5ls.jpg

Mission

• 68 Carbine
Re: sPcup Framework || Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
The layout allows for advanced tactics. The base is hard to camp (harder or as hard to camp as pp1, another 1 flag map). Respawn caps are possible. Teamwork on mid is crucial and there are plenty of jumps. Enjoy.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
Very nice, so unique, great gameplay, great visuals 10/10

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
I would say visuals are good, but too bright for me.
I hate all doors, they don't improve gameplay, rather help campers/liners.
Also there are few places where invisible walls block you, I would suggest adding something indicating that you can't go there.
I'm not sure about mid, it seems like just few lame camping building which serve no real purpose. Also I felt like mid is a bit separated, there is no way to change your path. Also on mid there is way you can get stuck if you use normal ramp and go upwards touching camp-building.
Overall I would say normal map, nothing special yet nothing that bad.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Also I felt like mid is a bit separated, there is no way to change your path. Also on mid there is way you can get stuck if you use normal ramp and go upwards touching camp-building.
You can use the window frames of the "camping buildings" (btw it would be dumb to camp in those, they are just buildings to pick up ammo and to jump from) to dj up and obviously there are tonnes of jumps from on top of that building to go to any path you like. I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Edit: thanks for pointing out the place where you get stuck. Will be fixed in b2.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
Kind of a fun little map. Here's a few super quick things I noticed.

I didn't get a missing texture msg in the console, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Looks like you should be able to jump here, either block it off visually or remove the clip.

Good intentions for speeding around the corner, but it looks insanely unnatural to me. Also, if you are even relatively fast you wallbang above it anyways. IMO would just remove it the little notch, maybe slightly angle the wall to allow people to do it at any height.

I'll look at it more later when I have time. Anyways, pretty good start.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
The map has some nice visuals. Looks like the idea for "construction" by Mission was recycled into a potential matching map.

Screenshot 1: It's annoying getting stuck between the ascending ramp and the thin black bar up there.

Screenshot 2: This looks awkward. Try fixing it up.

Screenshot 3: Just have the window be broken or nonexistent instead of having a sliding door there.

Screenshot 4: I can't get a good jump off that shovel after trying a few times. Maybe there is a jump and I just don't know it, but it seems like there should be a way to ramp off the shovel. Also, there's a wood texture misalignment on one of the sides of that shovel; rotate it 90 degrees.

Screenshot 5: Please allow us to access that roof. Remove that tyrannical clip brush that is preventing the common people from roof access.

Screenshots 6-8: I've noticed this in your previous maps too (the bridge section of kingdom and italy2) where it's overbright and you use really light textures. Remember that your sky is supposed to be depicting sunset or sunrise, which is not a particularly bright time of day. There are some areas where I don't even see the texture; all I see is blinding white. For some of your lights, you need to lower the dimmer switch.

Not sure how gameplay will turn out, but just walking around, I think the paths are fairly balanced.

This map is up on West Side Beta Map.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:02 AM »
The map has some nice visuals. Looks like the idea for "construction" by Mission was recycled into a potential matching map.

Screenshot 1: It's annoying getting stuck between the ascending ramp and the thin black bar up there.

Screenshot 2: This looks awkward. Try fixing it up.

Screenshot 3: Just have the window be broken or nonexistent instead of having a sliding door there.

Screenshot 4: I can't get a good jump off that shovel after trying a few times. Maybe there is a jump and I just don't know it, but it seems like there should be a way to ramp off the shovel. Also, there's a wood texture misalignment on one of the sides of that shovel; rotate it 90 degrees.

Screenshot 5: Please allow us to access that roof. Remove that tyrannical clip brush that is preventing the common people from roof access.

Screenshots 6-8: I've noticed this in your previous maps too (the bridge section of kingdom and italy2) where it's overbright and you use really light textures. Remember that your sky is supposed to be depicting sunset or sunrise, which is not a particularly bright time of day. There are some areas where I don't even see the texture; all I see is blinding white. For some of your lights, you need to lower the dimmer switch.
1. Yes. As notpayl already said and I already said we would fix it next beta.
2. Thanks, will be fixed in b2.
3. The sliding door aids gameplay imo. If you hear/see the door open you know where they are. It adds a weakness to a potentialy OP high-backdoor. A number of measures have been made to try and make HBD less OP- I guess without the sliding door, a nade can be put up there, and it gives cover. Depends what other people think. What does need to be changed is the height of the sliding glass building. There is a big slab of brick at the top that needs lowering.
4. There is no dj of the spade but if you take a long run up then using it as a ramp to get to scaffolding is really easy. Misalignment will be fixed in b2.
5. A clip was placed there after we found out you could get stuck on the back of that building touching the sky, we will clip the place where you get stuck in b2.
6-8. I will talk with JMR on what to do with lighting. Maybe we should use less light entities or dim them-b2.
I didn't get a missing texture msg in the console, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Good intentions for speeding around the corner, but it looks insanely unnatural to me. Also, if you are even relatively fast you wallbang above it anyways. IMO would just remove it the little notch, maybe slightly angle the wall to allow people to do it at any height.
That white bar is meant to be a light that has fallen. Maybe it should be broken as glass breaks after falling that height.

That crack in the corner lets you do 2 really tricky but advantageous jumps. We have already planned somthing to make that look nice in b2.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:07 AM »
5That crack in the corner lets you do 2 really tricky but advantageous jumps. We have already planned somthing to make that look nice in b2.

Did a few of the doubles off it onto some of the upper ledges. It's just awkward for the wrong reasons. If you don't want it to be used much then I guess it works.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
this gif gave me headache

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
Edit:  Never mind... Ignore this post...

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
Edit:  Never mind... Ignore this post...
Editing out your posts is serious crime according to Netiquette. Please instead use strike-through or another thing to cover old text with possibly updated one. Thanks.

About 'buildings' in mid: I kinda see purpose for them now, yet they still annoy me: If my CJ between then isn't perfect, sides of roof will bump me into space resulting in overjump actually. This is quite annoying, but maybe it was designed to be harder.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
About 'buildings' in mid: I kinda see purpose for them now, yet they still annoy me: If my CJ between then isn't perfect, sides of roof will bump me into space resulting in overjump actually. This is quite annoying, but maybe it was designed to be harder.
Also they block the line of sight over mid. What would you think about a fountain/ monument in mid instead of the building?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Demo feedback. Might include some of the stuff said before but includes some new technical stuff.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »
I've attached a demo with some feedback and uploaded the map to the beta server.

Edit: And you know this already, but I'm still not a fan of the "spcup_" prefix.  I tried like 3 times to load "framework_b#" thinking maybe it was a different beta number before I looked back and realized it had "spcup_" before it.

Edit2: Just noticed something really annoying - if you go up the ramps in the middle area next to the window, there's a little window sill that sticks out and stops you.  Needs to be removed or clipped.  Also, I know the map is geared toward competitive play, but it feels like some of the paths could stand to be made more new player friendly.  It doesn't seem necessary to have large gaps to strafe jump over on most of the paths.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:56:45 PM by jitspoe »

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
I'm still not a fan of the "spcup_" prefix.

How to get dp famous though?

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 10:16:11 AM »
Edit: And you know this already, but I'm still not a fan of the "spcup_" prefix.  I tried like 3 times to load "framework_b#" thinking maybe it was a different beta number before I looked back and realized it had "spcup_" before it.
Same here, also paintball does not help with tab. Only way to find it out within paintball is: "dir maps\beta\*framework*". Still it would be much easier to find if just file choice in dp wasn't so intercoursed up everyone uses console, but I do understand that jitspoe just had to wrote something and it must be simple since his menus are generally crappy as hell, yet simple and surprisingly working...
I guess it will take time before people will realize again that prefixes suck and we will eventually end up with maps renamed, more disk wasted, etc.
So here comes simple feature request: For commands that are in format: <command> <file> if TAB is pressed then do following: take file name, if last character is \, then add * at end, then do following: "dir <file>" and display result. If we want to get fancy, if only one result is present, we can replace it in command. But I guess you won't implement that until I make patch that will add this in assembly.

Edit2: Just noticed something really annoying - if you go up the ramps in the middle area next to the window, there's a little window sill that sticks out and stops you.
I already reported that earlier.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
Maybe this is just Superman being a troll, but on his servers there is a spawn outside the map. I have never experienced that bad spawn before.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
Maybe this is just Superman being a troll, but on his servers there is a spawn outside the map. I have never experienced that bad spawn before.

No I wouldn't do something like that =p.  I think it is a bug in the current build, it has happened on a few others maps.  It also happened to me once on a local game.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »
Played match on it with you yday, so i thought i would make this post with some review of the map.

Legend
High way = way you jump into from base using concrete ring
Long way = way you get into from base without any jumps (basically next to High way and lower)(had no idea how to call this, just went with sth)
HBD = way you can jump into from base, its right above spawn
main = connecting mid and stairs

Looks: Has nice feel to it, i think you got it pretty well. Still for example mid to highway speed looks kinda weird, but you said thats gonna be fixed in next beta.

Base: Flag seems pretty easily campable, which isnt really good. Altho its similar to pp1, the diference is that you dont need to look behind you when defending, while on pp1 you have to (given opponents are smart enough to go bd ^^). But i guess with proper teamwork it could actually work, there is plenty of ways how to grab so if you do it right you might be able to grab even if the defender is camping somewhere.

Mid: Works pretty well, many ways to outplay someone. Feels a little like xbamp1 with all the lines. Also as i already told you, High way is pretty OP imo, because there is no way to counter-play it if you dont go there. Imagine you go main and now you see/get recon that the enemy is comming to you from high way, you can either try to line, but thats probably not gonna work, or go back to base and wait for your opponent to do something. I feel like this isnt really good gameplay wise, what i said here makes High way safer compared to other ways. I have already given you some suggestions how to deal with it, just wanted it to be written, to see if other agree.

Tactics: As the map is right now, going main is disadvantage. If you go long way/high way you have the same lining opportunities plus you get much more freedom in terms of ways to take. Also, given that you go long way and you meet opponent there, he could just get away by running into HBD. I thought that adding some kind of BD connecting long way with HBD might be nice, also would add some complexity into gameplay, because you wouldnt have to take the path you chose, but you could change it pretty fast (you take the BD and can decide to take either main or long way to base)

To sum up:
I think you got down the theme really well, maybe that one clip brush(next to the crane) is disappointing and unnatural, also the speed mid > high way looks weird. Otherwise the map looks lovely, a lot of details and nicely done overall.
Looks == 8-9/10

Flow is pretty nice i think, its pretty fast paced, but i like that. I dont really know how to judge flow when there are walls with sharp corner, but i guess the main thing is, if anything sets you of your main curse, if you use jumps naturally and without much thinking.
Flow == 8/10

I really liked the way this map plays, given that you do something with HBD and maybe add the BD i suggested, i think that the gameplay is pretty much as good as it can get with the way you built the map.
Gameplay == 8/10