Author Topic: Reduce default timelimit to 10 minutes?  (Read 2675 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Reduce default timelimit to 10 minutes?
« on: March 17, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
It seems like most maps either end quickly with high-point flag captures or drag on for a while, if they're the lower scoring variety.  Some of the tourneys run recently have had 10 minute time limits, and I think they played pretty well.

What I'm proposing is more geared toward pubs, though.  It seems, if a map goes on for the full 20 minutes, the group of players you start with is completely different from the group of players you end with, or, worse yet, the server empties out.  Shorter timelimits mean you can play a wider selection of maps in one sitting as well.  Playing for an hour means you could play 6+ maps, instead of 3+.

I'm going to test the 10 minute time limit for a bit on the EV1 server and see how it plays out.  Do any of you have reasons why you think a shorter time limit is a bad idea?

Toxiic

• Autococker
Re: Reduce default timelimit to 10 minutes?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
It seems like most maps either end quickly with high-point flag captures or drag on for a while, if they're the lower scoring variety.  Some of the tourneys run recently have had 10 minute time limits, and I think they played pretty well.

What I'm proposing is more geared toward pubs, though.  It seems, if a map goes on for the full 20 minutes, the group of players you start with is completely different from the group of players you end with, or, worse yet, the server empties out.  Shorter timelimits mean you can play a wider selection of maps in one sitting as well.  Playing for an hour means you could play 6+ maps, instead of 3+.

I'm going to test the 10 minute time limit for a bit on the EV1 server and see how it plays out.  Do any of you have reasons why you think a shorter time limit is a bad idea?
The only con I can think of is that players won't be able to fully(depends of each players capabilites) understand/learn the map compared to a 20 minute game.

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
If we had larger yet good-looking maps, I think twenty minutes would be fine. But most people on servers just aim for capturing the flag every round (I am guilty for doing this also), and on the small speed server maps you can fly through like shazam33, it is very easy to get points.

I think:

Speed Server Default: 10 minutes
Match Server Default: 20 minutes

But that's just me. And I don't know if you can set two different defaults.
I like matches at 20 minutes because they are harder. Not everybody is flying through the map, they are actually trying to kill you and be fair by killing instead of capping. (Usually) The more strategic people grab the flag and kill the enemy to avoid trades and stuff like that. But all this skill, strategy, and experience makes matches longer than speed servers.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
Supermans (I believe) server used to run a 10min maps with 20s revive. It worked well, on certain maps. It comes down to the map rotation - quick maps without picking up ammo that are just about simple-but fun flow.

But matches should remain 20mins - the tournament was fun but 10mins made it so early leads were too easy to sit on. Also, a lot of maps (pforest/renoir) can be finished in 5-10mins (hitting 50pts) or they can last the full 20minutes and never reach score limit. It makes it more interesting when theres 2 ways the game can end - as every team plays differently. In 10 minute games, a lot of maps will be decided by time.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:40 PM »
I have 10 minute timelimit on almost all of my public servers.  I think it is much better than the default 20.  

Don't forget to add on all the extra time too, like start/end of rounds.  This probably makes a game with 20 minute timelimit closer to 30 minutes.  A 20 - 30 minute game can really feel like it is dragging on.  Switching it up every 10-15 minutes is much better.

I agree with the others about match servers.  10 Minutes seems too short for a match map.  Maybe 15 minutes would work.. but probably just best to leave it at 20.  

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
Pub: 10 min / 20-30 respawn
Speed: Horrible, but 10 min / 5-10 respawn
Match: 20 / respawn 60

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
I don't like 10min timelimit, because maps were designed for 20minutes, and I hate when I just can't get to win with flags, because of awfully short time.
Severs empty out because map is bad, not because of time left. I just like 20min normal limit I'm used to, because I think it was pretty well balanced, not a rush to win nor a "how-long-can-I-play".
But there are maps I wish there was 1min timelimit. Just improve rotation and locate server so everyone has good ping (like superman locating server in US with most players from EU).

I would say that we should keep default to 20, because it was so for very long and maps are made to play in this limit, but everyone can set it as he wants, I've seen 5min and 30min timelimit before. Maybe option would be to have per-map options like timelimit, point limit, elim time etc. that admin can set.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
Pub: 10 min / 20-30 respawn
Speed: Horrible, but 10 min / 5-10 respawn
Match: 20 / respawn 60

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
Gotta realize people are stubborn about map choices - which are cause for a lot of servers to die more so than anything (as payl mentioned)

Pub maps =/ match maps =/ old school maps. In the games current state, quick, simple maps are enjoyed by pubbers. Like Shock - or even Blitz before every server got the one with the bad ent files - or Kalcastle - or Shazam33 - there's a few that play great and used to attract attention in pubs. Simply jumps, simple paths, single flag ---> pub killers are anything where you pickup ammo, or have confusing paths/hard jump/oldschool maps.

Although I like pubs to be shorter revive/time limit than matches - people also need to think more about what pub maps have had more success in recent years. That's probably the biggest issue - bad maps kill servers.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
That's probably the biggest issue - bad maps kill servers.
I usually feel it's the opposite.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
I usually feel it's the opposite.

Not sure if I misunderstood, but does that mean you think "good maps kill servers"? -- I meant "bad pub maps kill servers" -- Which are actually typically good matchmaps.

A terribly constructed map, dhemap, is a great pub map. It often fills servers. But, a great map like Pbcup_pforest will kill a pub.

So I meant, bad map choices for pubs kill the servers - as random maps get put on. Ice maps are usually HORRIBLE pub maps, unless its 3s spawn, because new players get stuck somewhere. It needs to be simple - with small but easy "speed" jumps (giving new players the basic sense of jumping) - lots of spraying and lining - single flag in a not-hidden location.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
Not sure if I misunderstood, but does that mean you think "good maps kill servers"? -- I meant "bad pub maps kill servers" -- Which are actually typically good matchmaps.
Don't mind jitspoe, he doesn't play nowadays, so how can he possibly know this. Also, he got old sadly.

IMO any admin should be able to set timelimit, we don't have to change default since it won't have bigger impact. If so, then reduce default elim to 30. As I noted, option to set elim/timelimit/other vars per map would be useful. But of course jitspoe won't implement this until I make my hack to allow that.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
Don't mind jitspoe, he doesn't play nowadays, so how can he possibly know this. Also, he got old sadly.
I played with him yesterday I believe.

OT: It seems Superman had a good response on that. I think you should give the ability to change "timelimit" to server admins like Payl stated.

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
I played with him yesterday I believe.
Exception confirm rule :D . But I never played with him actually, how this happen, jitspoe play earlier lol and on euro servers :P .