Poll

Which map should be the 10th? (They all tied)

duck_fix
8 (24.2%)
tatras
8 (24.2%)
greenhill_b1
17 (51.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Results - #sPec# Summer Tournaments: Map vote  (Read 10895 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Results - #sPec# Summer Tournaments: Map vote
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
pbcup_pforest
propaint1
carpathian
wobluda_fix
airtime
castle1
pbcup_sassault
daylight_b1
pbcup_renoir

The 10th map all land on 14 votes. duck_fix | tatras | greenhill_b1

This thread is so you can not only see the current maps, but vote on what the 10th map should be, out of the 3.

Map information can be found, here:
http://paintball.jordanmrichards.com/tournaments.php?maps

[Under construction]

Results complete. greenhill_b1 won.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:56:02 PM by JordanMRichards »

shockk

• 68 Carbine
Re: Results - #sPec# Summer Tournaments: Map vote
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »
its too bad Columbia wasn't one of the maps
I feel like even though they're all good maps most of these make a list that's kinda generic
the only maps that aren't really straightforward are pfo sassault and to some degree renoir
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:20:34 PM by shockk »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:04:46 AM »
I actually saw there 14 votes for tatras, 13 for duck and 13 for columbia 13 for greenhill, when vote was locked. Or am I blind?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:16:38 AM »
The vote was closed at 50 voters. At that point there were 14 for tatras, 14 for duck, 14 for greenhill and 13 for columbia.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
It's just unfortunate it's the same maps played over and over. Which is why I don't play anymore.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
It's just unfortunate it's the same maps played over and over. Which is why I don't play anymore.

Fair enough.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:58 PM »
I was considering trying to play in this one, but the map list is just garbage and unoriginal. Might as well add shaz22/33 as well to make sure every pub map is on there.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »
I was considering trying to play in this one, but the map list is just garbage and unoriginal. Might as well add shaz22/33 as well to make sure every pub map is on there.
+1.  Personally I'd enjoy a tournament of an entirely original map list (not necessarily new maps, but not the usual match/pub maps) that teams have to learn, and create their own strategies to play them well.  I also reckon it would even out the entries as well, you're going to get some lower teams that learn to play them well, and then really good teams that are snobbish and learn the map as they go, which would initially give the lower team the upper hand and a better chance throughout the tournament in general.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 04:41:20 AM »
Well, there was a vote on the maplist, so i guess this is what a major part of community wants. While i kind of agree, it would be more fun to try and learn new maps instead of playing the 'old' ones over again, it is still the majority, who wants the 'old' maps (including partly me in the vote, altho i voted for some more 'interesting' aswell :p ).

One thing which didnt quite work out in my opinion is this 'multiple choice vote', because people got only limited amount of maps to chose from to vote. IMO, it would be much better to have people just post which maps they would like to see in the maplist and have someone count it and edit main post (yes, it would be much more work). Unfortunately, i didnt realise this until it was too late, so couldnt rly post about it.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 05:04:52 AM »
I also reckon it would even out the entries as well, you're going to get some lower teams that learn to play them well, and then really good teams that are snobbish and learn the map as they go, which would initially give the lower team the upper hand and a better chance throughout the tournament in general.
i like your idea, its like splitting the teams in two different and fair brackets (one for really good teams, one for newer teams) so even teams without .vT. or >o.O< tag can go to the finals ^^.

Well, there was a vote on the maplist, so i guess this is what a major part of community wants. While i kind of agree, it would be more fun to try and learn new maps instead of playing the 'old' ones over again, it is still the majority, who wants the 'old' maps (including partly me in the vote, altho i voted for some more 'interesting' aswell :p ).
totally agreed.

One thing which didnt quite work out in my opinion is this 'multiple choice vote', because people got only limited amount of maps to chose from to vote. IMO, it would be much better to have people just post which maps they would like to see in the maplist and have someone count it and edit main post (yes, it would be much more work). Unfortunately, i didnt realise this until it was too late, so couldnt rly post about it.
im not sure if this gonna work like that, i think it would end in a flamefest because too many people want too many different maps.

aSla

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
Originally, I was going to come up with a new maplist, (which included some of my own maps that "no one plays")

please don't, just don't ::)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
i like your idea, its like splitting the teams in two different and fair brackets (one for really good teams, one for newer teams) so even teams without .vT. or >o.O< tag can go to the finals ^^.
Two diferent brackets might be interesting, altho it would require too many teams, which i believe PB doesnt have. But if it worked out, it would be really cool ^^.

im not sure if this gonna work like that, i think it would end in a flamefest because too many people want too many different maps.
Well, people could write as many maps as they would want, not just one. So the result might be kind of similar, but maybe not.

I CAN come up with an original maplist if that's what the majority want. But either way, it seems like I cannot win.

Would anyone even be bothered to learn them?
You can never win. Thats how this works, you are the one organising it, you are the one making the decision -> you can never win. Its easy to criticise, but hard to make the decisions :).

Yes, we would.

My suggestion is to make a poll, about who wants 'new maplist' and who wants 'old maplist'. Depending on the poll results (40% to 60% for example), you can then decide to use this maplist in tournaments accordingly. I guess i explained it kind of poorly, well you wanna have 4 tournaments in total (3 smaller and 4 final bigger). If the result of the poll was as i used there, 40% wants 'new maplist', then you would do 1 tournament with 'new maplist' and the rest 3 tournaments with 'old maplist'.

Another idea, might be what i came up (based on someones idea here on forum).
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0D3XzgHm-E1bk5lSHJ1RUhvYzQ/edit
every tournament had diferent maplist, while only the grand final one had 'standard' maplist and ONLY for tie maps.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
I just don't get how everyone has fun doing the same few maps over and over. I came back after four years and most of these were still new so it was cool. But now after even playing pbcup_pfo 1000 times I can't stand it anymore.  It's just how the game has changed being all about speed and trick jumps rather then playing paintball.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
I just don't get how everyone has fun doing the same few maps over and over. I came back after four years and most of these were still new so it was cool. But now after even playing pbcup_pfo 1000 times I can't stand it anymore.  It's just how the game has changed being all about speed and trick jumps rather then playing paintball.
I would say, thats its because there so many new maps, that nobody sticks with just one. If you think back when pbcup_pforest/renoir etc were all new maps, they were something new, they looked freaking good and people wanted to play them, because they liked them and it was some change to the old ugly maps (thats what i believe, i havent been around when it happened, but i think i could be right :p ). Now there is tons and tons decently looking maps and everyone is complaining about them not having good gameplay.

Most of the maps have good gameplay, people just dont play them enough. Example is zephyrus or destiny, these maps look really awesome, have been around for quite some time and their gameplay is really good i would say. Same goes for some of the JMR's maps, but nobody plays them.

IMO, we need at least of the tourneys to have maplist made ONLY of maps released in like 1 year ago period. People might start to like some of the maps and play them.

Another thing about pbcup_ is that it was played in tourney (i guess, there were only these maps?), and people were forced to play them and suddenly, they started to like them.

PS:I have no idea how it really was with pbcups_, its just what i assume, so i might be totally wrong there :p.

JosephGoebbels

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
no freedom, no sass4, no zemer, no zephyrus, no g2, no ppsw but airtime pp1 daylight? you scrubs make me fuhrerious

Well, there was a vote on the maplist, so i guess this is what a major part of community wants.

community which includes people voting like baseballdude, fussion, lukip and more neverheards that wont even play? oh fml.

what about vote for people who will actually play? pforest had 35 votes, that means we can get 35+ players in tourney - so at least 12 teams? wow.

if at least 12 teams wont sign up then the vote is absolutely irrelevant

just make vote for people who will participate, not for some scrubs. kthxbai

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
I kinda agree with everything everyone has been saying it's confusing the least but Joseph has a point about the votes from people who don't play/won't play at all.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
I just don't get how everyone has fun doing the same few maps over and over.

That's why the older people stop playing. The reason DT maps were so popular is that at the time there wasn't much like them. They mixed slower and faster game play extremely well, and look nice to top it off. Someone needs to do a little innovating like he did. New maps are cool and all, but if it's just another grass and rock recycle no one really gives an excrement.

Originally, I was going to come up with a new maplist, (which included some of my own maps that "no one plays")

I CAN come up with an original maplist if that's what the majority want. But either way, it seems like I cannot win.

Would anyone even be bothered to learn them?

Props for trying to please people, it sucks to organize things. But I think including a ton of your own maps would be a bit biased. I like my own things as well, but it's not what is best. The maps aren't bad, but maybe add 1 or 2, not all of them.

My ideal situation would be to try to recruit a few people that have some mapping skill to come up with a few smaller brand new maps. Mix them in with your maps (or other newer maps) and older maps. Separate into 3 categories (brand new / newer / older):

1st Round: team 1 picks category, team 2 picks map in category.
2nd Round: team 2 picks category, team 1 picks map.
Tie-Breaker: pick a map from unused category.

Not the best thing to do, and would need some new or beta maps to be made/finished that are quality. But at least it isn't another recycled crap map list and tournament.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
no freedom no eX

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
no freedom no eX

And..... NO one cares!

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
no freedom no eX
Even if freedom was going to be in it, people would veto the map when playing against ex since you guys like it so much...