Author Topic: overflow problems  (Read 1175 times)

medley crew 2

overflow problems
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:55:06 AM »
i'm working on a map called myhood. i can start up my server on myhood, and i can join the game and everything works. but if i'm playing on another map, and then i switch to myhood, i get this over flow message and it doesnt work. also, some people on my server get this really bad lagg, ive seen pings in the 900's. i think i can blame that on my crappy cable connection. anyway, here is a shot.. someone know why this would happen?

bug

• 68 Carbine
Re: overflow problems
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
I believe this happens when there are too many entities in memory. Does everyone just 'freeze' when this is happening? If it is, I've had the same problem before and it usually happens when everyone has autocockers with ball_life set to 1000 :D

medley crew 2

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:03:07 PM »
actually, the game never loads. all it shows is the console with the motd in it and a black screen behind it

medley crew 2

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:15:04 PM »
i changed the maxentities in the server config and this seems to work... however people on my server still experience some serious lag :-[

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »
i changed the maxentities in the server config and this seems to work... however people on my server still experience some serious lag :-[

That 'serious lag' is because your server is a home-hosted cable server. Those are always a bad idea. Cable (slow) coupled with your personal PC (slow) especially WHILE you're using it (even slower) is a sure-fire recipe for 300+ pings, no question.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:40:36 PM »
From the screenshots you posted, it looked like the map wasn't even vised.  If a map isn't vised, all entity data will be visible to everybody, causing severe lag.

medley crew 2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 02:46:11 PM »
now i started overflowing every time!  ??? i think it has to do with the maxentities i dont know how to set it, i tried putting "set maxentities 2048"in the myserver.cfg and it didnt change anthing!  ??? plz someone help!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 05:34:36 PM »
Maxentities won't fix it. That bug happens because there is too much entity data being passed to the clients. You need to vis your maps, or put less entites in them.

taliwhacker

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 06:22:07 AM »

That 'serious lag' is because your server is a home-hosted cable server. Those are always a bad idea. Cable (slow) coupled with your personal PC (slow) especially WHILE you're using it (even slower) is a sure-fire recipe for 300+ pings, no question.

lol dnt say about laggin on a computer with this game, you'd have to be like on a pentium 1 for that to happen. i know i can host a battlefield 2 dedicated server and then run battlefield 2 over the top of that and it works on my Athlon XP 2800+ and we all know how very much battlefield 2 is "resource hungry" ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 10:18:47 AM »
Network lag can happen no matter how good a computer you have. And cable has a slow upload, so that would be why hosting a server on it might cause lag.