Author Topic: IRC  (Read 7113 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
IRC
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
Competitiveness creates activity. It was proven today with JMR's tournament. The European scene is alive. That was also proven by JMR's tournament. So, as a community lets make it remain competitive. Not just tournaments. We can't depend on 1 or 2 people to put forth time frequently for tournaments. Jitspoe does some stuff to improve the game every blue moon, and wont end up having time to do anything for the competitive scene.

How can we do anything?

Simple, first is getting IRC. I understand the convenience of TS3 to get matches. But euros sit on OTB which is blocking out 50% of the scene (NA) to expand into it. If everyone goes back to IRC you can get/find/contact people much easier. Your team can have private channels made by you to communicate / save information / leave messages to eachother. It's a great tool for contacting your team and other teams for communication and matching.

IRC also benefits by allowing teams to have their record placed publicly so everyone can see this. This causes teams to be more competitive by wanting to win more. Teams never want a negative record. Teams want to look like their record is the best. And teams with "great" records, or undefeated, cause other teams to want to end their big streaks. That's been a source of DP being competitive for years.

IRC also allows new players to be able to contact the majority of the scene due to the chat tab on this website. You can use that or download mIRC. Lets new players get help to their questions quicker if it's a populated area. Therefore, potentially increasing activity.

IRC is easier for organizing tournaments as well (it's annoying to change teamspeaks as an NA team, or idle a teamspeak with 1000 people PM'ing me on ts3). on IRC you can make a private channel for captains to get info to servers, and a main channel for everyone to idle. Worked perfect in every Blaa tournament.

Old players coming back often check IRC before anything else. If they see IRC having some life, people online/matching, they might actually think about coming back.

----

How simple? The community doing a small thing can actually have a decent impact. There's enough players for the game to have 12-15 teams playing relatively actively. And it can also grow a bit in size and competitiveness causing people to want to stick around.

Opinions?

EDIT: TO SUPPORT THIS TRY TO IDLE EVERYONES CHANNELS (DONT DEMAND OPS) TO SUPPORT IRC COMING BACK. HELP PEOPLE WITH SETTING UP THEIR CHANNELS. PEOPLE CAN PM ME WITH IRC QUESTIONS.

Channels to idle: (post yours)

-- GENERAL --
#paintball
#tournaments
#globalgamers (for help)

-- CLANS --
#team_nB
#unlucky
#team_eX
#team_spec
#team_aT
#3oo
#Dollar
#oxmoze
#unknown

CONNECT TO irc.gg-center.net and /join THESE CHANNELS.
TYPE "/ns register accountname password" TO MAKE YOUR ACCOUNT. WHEN GIVEN ACCESS IN A CHANNEL ONCE LOGGED IN, TYPE: "!AUTOJOIN 1" -- ONCE AUTOJOINED YOU JOIN THAT CHANNEL INSTANTLY ON LOGGING/AUTHING ACCOUNT

REMEMBER TO: !addgame DP ---> This lets you get scrim requests to see when others want a match

BASIC IRC COMMANDS:
/cs register #teamname  (gets you a channel)
!topic "random topic coding" (gets you topic)
!members "insert names"
!set givevoice 0 (voices everyone automatically)
!kb name (bans someone)
!addgame DP (adds game)
!r (resyncs commands)
!addop/addhop (gives access so users can autojoin)
!autojoin 1 (lets you automatically join on authing)

ANYONE WITH ANY ISSUES IN IRC, PLEASE CONTACT MYERS OR ROCKITUDE. WE WILL HELP.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:35:07 PM by MyeRs »

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
Re: IRC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
I agree with this

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »
I agree. If there isn't ever going be an in-game chat system, IRC is the best way to find matches and keep the community together.

Also, as far as records are concerned...to everyone who played in today's tournament: Wasn't it more fun when everyone actually had a reason to try to win?

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
Sounds good. I will start to idle on irc then. For anyone downloading it, I use http://www.kvirc.net/ because I tried mIRC but I think you have to pay, not sure though. If anyone has any suggestions for a better client please tell, but I think kvIRC is good.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »
Yeah, We've talked alot about this with pif ,  and this is exactly what we were thinking, we need a place to meet eachother other than pub server, so i agree with this.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
Use the irc chat page on dplogin

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
In the past it was normal to idle in IRC when you are in the matching scene. Nearly all clans had an IRC channel and it was easy to scrim for a match. I would like to see more players in IRC to get easy in touch with them. It worked pretty good, but with time the old players went away or were just idling and there were no new players replacing them. Few players I asked said that they had problems with their first steps. Whoever has these problems should write me a PM.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
Okay, so team unlucky have her own irc channel now #unlucky Thanks for the help btw

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
Message removed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:02:23 PM by JMR »

Fluk3

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
I agree too, its so much easier.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 07:38:14 PM »
#3oo is a irc channel. has been for over a year.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »
I agree!
IRC is da best.

I was trying to follow the tourny yesterday so I joined irc... but I couldn't find anything. So I checked forums again and saw that its organized in TS3. Please have it in IRC as well!

Among other things you can have a bot give the scores of the matches, jmr! Ask around, I'm sure someone still has the script (ask viciouz for starters).

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:40:06 AM »

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »
Can I bind a key to do authorisations for me or do auth automatically?

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
The most clients have a Perform On Connect option.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
Myers paid me 100$, Im back.

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
#dollar

oNd

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
okay, we're in - #oxmoze .. come and autojoin please :)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »
#unknown is now open as well

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »
#match - Channel for current dp2 matches and pickup games. Ask for server info or join pug games there.

There is no reason for a channel for DP2 matches. It adds too much open channels (idling everyones channels already adds enough). Matches happen when people send out scrim requests, then are done in PM's to distribute info to server. If you want to give your friends info to watch, PM them it. But there's no reason to have info publicly placed for anyone to enter (Mathos in the tournament is an example why). Make a private channel that only your team idles (with a password on it) and post information to servers there to save PM'ing each of them.

Make a PUG channel, with the old PUG bot (Spain might be able to help you with that) - there used to be a really cool bot for this. But a match channel doesn't do anything. #paintball is already the generic channel for people, then theres team channels, and event channels (tournament/pug)