Author Topic: Holiday Tourney [Completed 1-3]  (Read 31948 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Holiday Tourney - Rules and Signups [Updated 11-30] - 8 teams and counting!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
I think the only days that actually work (given it's a holiday tournament) are 3/4 and 27/28

The 20/21 weekend will likely have a lot of people moving back home for holidays. I believe most "exam" periods for north american schools run until the 19th, making 20th the day they travel home.

Maybe put up a vote to see what days people rather? Also, considering both NA and EU will participate, have to figure out what a good starting time is. Is it going to be single day or 2 days? (Start time likely around noon-1pm EST allows euros to play 5-6pm till 10pm their time).

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »
In the poll, most people voted for end of December so I guess 27-28 would be best, but I had a few requests to do the weekend after (Jan 3-4).

I think 12pm EST would work fine.  It shouldn't take too long since there's not a TON of teams.

Sorry Shk, forgot to reply to your query.  Its legit and there's no entry fee.  I'm a kind person some times.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
i'm away till the 29th :( i kinda like the 3/4 of jan idea

MrPeach

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
Maybe make a poll with those 2 dates.
Personally I'd prefer 27-28 because i won't be able to play on 3rd of January :(

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
this is so dumb... everyones complainin about the 2 weekends... noones interested in a weekday tourney?!?!?!?!!?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 12:37:35 AM »
this is so dumb... everyones complainin about the 2 weekends... noones interested in a weekday tourney?!?!?!?!!?
A weekday.... People could have school... And or work...

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
Dooci, you can't please everyone with timings. When I ran GGDPLeague some europeans complained because he was a weekend event for the playoffs - where it has to be evening for them (due to timezones). But, if you do weekdays, NA's who work 9-6 can't be on till after 6pm, which is after midnight for EU.

When you have mixed tournaments weekends are the only thing that works. It's not mandatory to participate. But weekends will appeal to the majority, therefore get the most participation. As of now it already has 8 teams.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
Maybe make a poll with those 2 dates.
Personally I'd prefer 27-28 because i won't be able to play on 3rd of January :(

So be it.

Go go gadget poll creator!

Make it so #1.

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: Holiday Tourney - Rules and Signups [Updated 12-4] - 7 teams
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 11:29:38 PM »
Any map list yet?

Is every match going to be Bo3 or Bo1?

Is it process of elim for tie if Bo3? Is it process of elim for Bo1?

If its Bo1 how do you do EU vs NA?

If its Bo3 + Double elim, that's going to take like 10hours to finish the tournament.

It'd be cool to get some information as the tournament is approaching, and teams would likely want to familiarize themselves with everything. Information would be appreciated.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:38 AM »
Since your putting up money I think you should wait to release the map list and make it set maps for the rounds... Maybe force people to play something other then the same old excrement thy play everyday.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
Since your putting up money I think you should wait to release the map list and make it set maps for the rounds... Maybe force people to play something other then the same old excrement thy play everyday.

That would make sense if the game were growing, trying to expand maps used. And in theory I like it as it forces teams to "learn" maps. But with NA/EU server switching, I don't like that idea much.

But using money or not is irrelevant to doing that. Using money increases the competitiveness and participation (im sure people are more likely to do something like book off work, or clear their schedule when theres a big prize offered). But using money, to me, seems like trying to make the tournament more intriguing to the community - so why do something that may be less intriguing because of it?

IF Bo1 I'd say: Make 5 to 7 map list, players do process of elim with team closer to top of bracket eliminating map first, final map gets played. (PROBLEM: NA vs EU server issues) -- And in this, final still Bo3

IF Bo3 I'd say: Make map pool, 7 maps, each team picks theirs and tie is done with elimination. IN THIS CASE I WOULD NOT DO DOUBLE ELIM. Double elim will make it too long. I prefer the Bo3 double elim setup - but with NA/EU it provides problems. Single elim Bo3 is likely the best option. (If you're interested in continuing tournaments in DP, maybe even cut the prize in half for this tournament, and use the other half for a tournament lets say end of Jan/Early feb. Try to have some monetary tournament every 1-2 months to keep people having a reason to play. Might work to prolong competitive scene - people seem to come back for tournaments.

That being said - adding a few less played maps is a great idea, gives "lesser" teams a higher chance by trying to go for those maps. Pforest is probably the most played map right now.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
PS: I recommend using cP servers if they update to the newest build (currently on old physics) -- or using Supermans if he changes the ent files so you don't respawn with carbines.

uR servers are nice for NA teams vs NA teams, but Europeans ping significantly higher. Considering both EU and NA will participate, might as well use servers that compromise best. (EU gets 160 average ping on uR, and 110-130 on super/cP)

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
I don't see any way of getting around Bo3, since its mixed NA and EU.  I'm thinking double elim, just to give everyone more matches to play.

Still deciding on handling the map list.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
Double Elim Bo3 is going to take a LONG time, might have to do 2 days (you said you could do it in 1) - because can't get too late for Euro's (ie playing at 2-3am for them isnt fair)

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »
So is this a basic tournament rules ? If yes then maybe only the final should be in Bo3 to make it more fair since the servers matters alot.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Double Elim Bo3 is going to take a LONG time, might have to do 2 days (you said you could do it in 1) - because can't get too late for Euro's (ie playing at 2-3am for them isnt fair)

That's why I put 2 day periods in the poll.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
I will update my servers for this.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
I will update my servers for this.

Thanks man.  It'll be great to get some server owners to dedicate their servers to this.  I was going to set up my own, and still might, but OVH virtualization sucked for hosting.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Superman's servers rock, best servers. Whenever I match on cP servers, we usually end up switching to Superman's because of the server lag that is some times present. Though, that might change.

MrPeach

• VM-68
I wouldn't recommend otb servers too because of weird lags.