Author Topic: Holiday League [Updated 12-4] - Sample Map Added  (Read 7706 times)

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Holiday League [Updated 12-4] - Sample Map Added
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
So, I've been thinking about this league system that Mythic used to utilize and trying it out in DP, but a little different.  

Basically, there is a map and each team has certain 'areas' or territories on the map.  Each area will correspond to a particular map in DP.  Your team may challenge any team who has an adjacent area.  You play the map, only one time, until a victor is made.  The victor takes over that area.  At the end of the league, the team with the most territories wins.

You'd be required to challenge at least one team per week and you can not refuse a challenge.

Required challenges must be completed during specific time frames unless agreed upon otherwise by the teams participating.

This is just the gist of the idea.  If anyone's interested, I may put this on in addition to the holiday tourney.  The league will span a month or two, most likely.

Here's a visual sample of what it would be like.  Pardon my nub skills with paths in PS.

You challenge someone, maybe map list for the territory is randomly generated each week.

The final map will have better defined edges.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:20:14 PM by gonass »

blaa

• Autococker
Re: Holiday League
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »
 Cool idea. What the areas would be? Maybe based on map types? ala urban maps/outdoor maps/winter themed maps/small outdoor maps/TDM maps/siege maps/... . Areas could have assigned player amount as well, for small maps 2v2, for huge maps 5v5. This is a great idea to be frank.

But I'm not frank, I'm blaa. There will be problems - "teams can't refuse a challenge" - most likely teams would like to play but just can't get players online on time. Perhaps have ~2-3 regular match times per week, where matches will be played (unless teams can both agree on another time).

Anyway, sign [q] up for the league, we will participate.

Also, if you need any help, then I'm available.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
What Mythic did was use a simple 2d map, much like a map of a country and its city-states, that fit together like a puzzle.  I was thinking of doing something similar.

In regards to challenge refusals, that's a good point blaa.  I was trying to find a way to ensure teams wouldn't refuse challenges once they got the majority of areas.  I'd like other teams to have the chance to come back.

Would love to see you guys there.  Haven't played with or against you in quite some time :D.

I would love your help.  PM me or catch me on IRC.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Great idea, reminds me of playing KDice.  I wouldn't go with a map being an area, I'd go with a set of maps (3?) being an area like blaa said.  How many areas would each team start with though?

The problem I see with challenges is say you have 4 adjacent areas around you, and all 4 areas challenge you.  I think there would need to be a process in place, off the top of my head it could be one challenge allowed per week, and then once a team has been challenged by another, neither can then be challenged for another week (or any time period you choose) whilst they organise a time to play, and then play.  To make it fair then, have a specific day each week (say sunday) that you announce that challenges are open for the week (and need to be posted in that specific thread to be counted), but open it at a random time (have a couple of people do this to cover all time zones) to give everyone a chance to look at the forums and challenge a team, not be the first to post after say a standard 1pm release time.

After 19th Nov I'm on break from uni so I can help out as well, so more than happy to if needed.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
 I think the area domination shouldn't be taken so seriously as you would decline a challenge just because you don't want to lose that area. That would be silly. But hey, I guess we don't live in a perfect world, where people are fair.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »
I think the area domination shouldn't be taken so seriously as you would decline a challenge just because you don't want to lose that area. That would be silly. But hey, I guess we don't live in a perfect world, where people are fair.
To sort of combat what you said, a way could be you can challenge a team once per week, and you must accept one challenge per week.  That way you are either playing once or twice, depending on whether your challenge was accepted.  Then lets say you were challenged 3 times in one area, and once in another, you must accept one of the 3 challenges, as it seems to be a more popular area to dominate.  And then like you said, the more areas you dominate, the more control you have, which would generally be the case anyway.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
 Sounds good.

But lets not forget that if this is to be a success, then we need teams to sign up! So sign up!

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
Anyway, sign [q] up for the league, we will participate.
So what, you made a whole tournament for saying that the clan [q] is over, and now you sign up for a tournament with [q] ? I'm lost.

So if you need teams to sign up, maybe you should make another post, with a name like " Holyday League - Sign up - " Would be easier for people to know what's going on.
The idea seems great, waiting for rules to be more clear and complete :) .

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »
Oh wait, it has been done already.. but no one saw it for some reason.. :)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
Might want to clear it up now Gonass, will this be on American or euro servers? If you say American most the euros will whine and probably won't play and considering 90% of the people playing are European your best bet is to pick euro servers even though they all suck for NA.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »
There will be whinning either way.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Might want to clear it up now Gonass, will this be on American or euro servers? If you say American most the euros will whine and probably won't play and considering 90% of the people playing are European your best bet is to pick euro servers even though they all suck for NA.
If this theme of dominated areas ends up going along, say you challenge a team, the other team gets to choose server location as they are being challenged.  Same other way round, you get challenged, you pick the server location.  More money if you have to host, but if existing server owners are willing to help out, then might not be an issue.  That way you get to play on both, and hence reduce, but of course not eliminate the whining.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
I like Clipzs servers, from NA stuff

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
This league sounds really fun, i'd be down to participate. The only question I have is...will there be enough teams?

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
Let's just try to spread the word, shockwave.  I'm going to try and iron out some stuff for it over Thanksgiving.  I was thinking about making a little web app where you challenge and just have it trigger e-mails to notify the players.  Then you guys just decide on a time and report the results via the web app. If any coders out there want to help, send me a pm.  If I had everyone use my servers, I'll have logs of everything and for me it would be ideal but I don't want to force it.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »
Love what you are doing here gonass, I'm sure I will participate with aT/spec

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
Shk, lets get Myers and chem to play and I'm down.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »
i'll try to get [f] to play.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
i'll try to get [f] to play.

I'll be sure to bring my C game.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
This indeed, does sound good.

Keep up the good work, gonass.

I think we all should show our encouragement.