Author Topic: Running on Linux, half-way there, just slow  (Read 1935 times)

ToAsTeDd

Running on Linux, half-way there, just slow
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:55:52 AM »
Hi there.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper). To get Paintpall to load up, I had to symlink libGL.so.1 to libGL.so in the paintball directory (ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so). To get sound I had to kill esd. That's all OK.

However, it is very slow. Mouse is slow and takes around 1 minute to move it across the screen. Keys take ~5secs to respond, and sound is coppy, heard for ~0.2sec every 3 seconds or so. I can't get past the menu because it is too slow to use it.

My video acceleration is working, DRI (direct rendering) is enabled, and other 3D applications work fine.

I have 2048mb (2gig) ram, a 2.26ghz centrino, with an ATI Radeon X300.

Any ideas?

TIA.

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: Running on Linux, half-way there, just slow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:49:33 AM »
It happened to me with my Radeon IGP 320M on my laptop in Ubuntu before, but my problem was that I had to use vesa drivers, ati had almost no support for my card. i didn't have video acceleration, yet Quake 3 based games would run perfectly (better than they would in windows), but dpball would have the same problems that you are having. You might wanna try running Nexuiz to see if it will run, if it has the same problems then you have driver/opengl issues, if it runs, then the problem is elsewhere and your 3D acceleration is fine.

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:04:36 AM »
Your problem is that you don't have the proprietary drivers installed for ATI (ATI is perhaps the biggest pain in the butt as far as graphics drivers are concerned for Linux) I'm also running Ubuntu 6.06 and I had to find the right way to do this because the current fglrx drivers are broken. SO...We have to go with an older driver.

I stumbled upon this in the Ubuntu forums:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197471&highlight=fglrx+howto

This should help you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »
(ATI is perhaps the biggest pain in the butt as far as graphics drivers are concerned)
Fixed. :)

ToAsTeDd

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »
the current fglrx drivers are broken. SO...We have to go with an older driver.

Right you are - I installed the 8.24.8 version and now the menu is useable and I can get into a game.

But I can only use my mouse sideways, not up and down, which makes it rather hard to play as you would imagine :-). Any ideas? Is it my mouse config or something?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23:20 PM »
Probably has something to do with DGA mouse support.  A lot of distros don't include that anymore, but it's necessary for pb2 to work properly.  This should fixed in the next version, though.  Have you tried the version included with the installer QuDos put together?

QuDos

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 11:37:24 AM »
Are libGL.so/libGL.so.1 pointing to the right acelerated libraries?

I remember when i installed propietaries nvidia drivers, debian just forgot to remove the old libGL.so from /usr/lib and all acelerated apps were running slow.

The binaries included in the paintabll2 installer were built with no dga mouse, so probaly will run with no problems there.

Yellow Onion

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 12:49:37 AM »
i have same problem for ubuntu edgy i fixed it by changing the setting in config.cfg file  'seta gl_driver "libGL.so" ' to 'seta gl_driver "libGL.so.1" '

this was because libGL.so wasnt linked to my accellerated libGL
you could also solve this by linking libGL.so to libGL.so.1 not sure if this could cause problems in other places tho