Author Topic: Sound problems in Linux  (Read 7354 times)

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
Re: Sound problems in Linux
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 07:37:36 AM »
So it's either no sound or sound with locking up? I uninstalled and tried the install script again and just let it install where it wanted to. I'm getting no sound when I start it. However, when I kill esd, I get sound in the menu. It's all normal sound and not choppy or anything. However, I start a game and add bots so that the round will actually start. When the round actually starts it's freezing right away. And all I wanted to do was play a little paintball.

Edit: Is there any way that I can switch it to use alsa instead of oss? (I'm gonna try aoss real quick and see what happens.)
Edit again: Well, I tried aoss and saw that the sound server actually was able to start (before, it just said that /dev/dsp was busy) but then when the round starts, I get all this buzzing sound.

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
killall esd...works now. Don't know why it was weird before but it is fine. I have sound now. No freezing of the game either.

QuDos

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »
killall esd...works now. Don't know why it was weird before but it is fine. I have sound now. No freezing of the game either.

Nice to hear you got it, btw, what distro, window manager are you running?

Nate-n-Nator

• PGP
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 with Gnome.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 09:30:08 PM »
whenever I run the game i get this Error:

Initializing Linux sound.
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
SNDDMA_Init: Could not mmap /dev/dsp.

Anyone know how to fix it?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »
That problem occurs in the original b16 linux binary release, it is because q2 is old.
QuDos has worked out those audio problems in his build of it:
http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=2734.0
http://qudos.quakedev.com/tmp

Try that installer.

If you experience the /dev/dsp error in his version, then I suggest making sure that /dev/dsp exhists, looking into it problems with it on your distro, making sure your system is up to date, and notifying QuDos about it in the thread for his installer.

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 09:38:31 PM »
When I got that installer and tried to use that to install the game wouldnt run for some reason....

EDIT: The game I mean...
EDIT2: I am on Dapper Drake Ubuntu

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
Try this in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd ~/
wget -c http://qudos.quakedev.com/tmp/Paintball2_build017_full_linux.run
chmod +x Paintball2_build017_full_linux.run
sudo sh Paintball2_build017_full_linux.run

When the installer is done, if it asks you if you'd like to run the game, select no. (Most loki installers ask this, I'm not sure if this one has it set up like that, I forgot)

If you already ran it right after the installer, then it was run with sudo, so the permissions on your user's files are owned by root, which might explain it not running, I'm not sure.
To fix this do:
sudo chown -R <user> ~/.paintbalwhere "<user>" is your username.

Then try running paintball2 from a terminal, if it gives you an error, post it back here.

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 10:10:05 PM »
Ok, I installed using the build 17 installer and it worked once, but now it gives me this error

------- sound initialization -------

load /usr/local/games/paintball2/snd_oss.so failed: No such file or directory
------- Loading ref_pbgl.so -------
LoadLibrary("ref_pbgl.so") failed: No such file or directory
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load gl refresh!

EDIT: I found snd_oss.so in the paintball2 folder, so i dont know why it says its not there...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:34:06 PM by Lil_Shank »

QuDos

• PGP
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »
Ok, I installed using the build 17 installer and it worked once, but now it gives me this error

recursive shutdown

EDIT: I found snd_oss.so in the paintball2 folder, so i dont know why it says its not there...

How did you to run pb2, script or binary?

Also, be sure the game it's installed under /usr/local/games/paintball2, by default will create a start script under /usr/local/bin/paintball2

Maybe there is something wrong in the installer, sometimes i'm forgotting do changes to the files because i'm testing in 6/7 distros and two FreeBSD releases.

Get the last installer in my tmp dir, if this installer works fine the next only will be component updates.

Btw, works with some crashes with compiz enabled but i can't get fullscreen at all, any suggestion?  I'm new about compiz.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 02:36:08 PM »
Fullscreen doesn't work in almost anything with XGL/Compiz...I read the reson why...but forgot. I run anything that I want fullscreen (games) using this nonXgl script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176636&highlight=nonXgl
It works fine for me. Without it, water looks rainbow-like in paintball2 too.

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »

recursive shutdown

How did you to run pb2, script or binary?

Also, be sure the game it's installed under /usr/local/games/paintball2, by default will create a start script under /usr/local/bin/paintball2

Maybe there is something wrong in the installer, sometimes i'm forgotting do changes to the files because i'm testing in 6/7 distros and two FreeBSD releases.

Get the last installer in my tmp dir, if this installer works fine the next only will be component updates.

Btw, works with some crashes with compiz enabled but i can't get fullscreen at all, any suggestion?  I'm new about compiz.

I'm running wtih script, i cant run it any other way for some reason.  There isnt a paintball2 folder in /usr/local/games, how can i make one there?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 08:44:26 PM »
You didn't install it as root. Make sure that you run the installer with "sudo sh xxx.run"

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:46 PM »
Ok I installed it as root, now it cant open with the libGO.so, so how do i reconfigure it?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 10:28:41 PM »
libGL.so?
cd ~/.paintball2
ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 libGL.so
should work, if not, do
locate libGL.soand post back the results.

Lil_Shank

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 10:32:32 PM »
Thanks, got it all fixed, it runs now, and with sound! Thanks again for the help!  ;D

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 10:57:48 PM »
No prob.