Author Topic: New Digital Paint  (Read 3689 times)

Gaggerzon

• PGP
New Digital Paint
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »
I'm sure most of you know, though digital paint is old it is fun
and because it is old maybe a sequel should be developed and kickstart it

gonass

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Digital Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
There's quite a choir out there speaking the same hymn.  Part of what makes the game fun is the jumping, which is actually a bug from Quake 2.  Some of the community are programmers and artists.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 06:10:50 AM »
classic ftw

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
What would you suggest be different for the sequel?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
It needs a "Get off my lawn!" mode....

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
Better platform, better graphics. The physics however should not be too different.
Maybe a competitive mode like in CS:GO /  Dota 2 with matchmaking would be nice... ^^

Gaggerzon

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:35 AM »
I am not a programmer but this might be useful to whoever is interested

http://www.funender.com/quake/articles/strafing_theory.html

Zinglish was able to inplement the strafe mechanic into unity game engine using C# by looking through the quake source on github
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VsGbPk0zs
https://github.com/id-Software/Quake-III-Arena

Gaggerzon

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:55:31 AM »
Here is another vid of someone who implemented in UDK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GPP8RIN6nI

As for what could be in the sequel, I'm not really sure. Better graphix

God darn all these vid are inspiring me to learn to program but Im dumb as intercourse

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
I've tinkered with Unreal Engine 4 a bit, and I've been somewhat disappointed in the performance.  On my GTX285, I was getting ~30fps or less on even the mobile app examples (super simple geometry, like blocks on a table.  Things that should be getting like 1000fps).  Maybe it can be better optimized for this type of game, with the option to scale up the graphics quality for higer end machines, but I doubt it will ever be as fast as the Quake2 engine on mid/older aged hardware.

Also, the way the renderer works is great for slow moving/static scenes where it has time to calculate all the reflections/environment/global illumination type stuff, but with rapidly moving scenes, things tend to be very blurry (especially at low framerates).  This makes identifying targets and such while rapidly moving through a map more difficult, which I think will make a lot of people unhappy.  Also, small, fast-moving projectiles are extremely difficult to see.  It might be possible to avoid this by avoiding the physical styled lighting, but I'm not sure if that's a trivial change, and it would come at the cost of a visual quality/realism (which is the point of updating to begin with).

The downloads would be very large.  To get the kind of quality you're probably imagining, it would probably be a couple gigs for just the base install, and the maps would be much larger as well.

And then there's the time it would take to develop...

Gaggerzon

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
My GTX550Ti even lags on UE4. GTX285 is a legacy gpu. Even the GTX550Ti is considered an outdated hardware according to geforce because they dont even list it on their Desktop GPUs!
The UE4 might be too hardware intensive but have you tried UE3 or UDK? The motion blur can be disabled in these engines. Also the path finding is really good.
These engines settings can be modified easily to accommodate lower end computers
The graphics doesn't have to be extreme. It can look low poly and stuff.

I was just sharing my idea of new digital paint. I know you are busy and its unlikely
it was just an idea :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
My point is, even with low poly scenes, these modern engines do not run at a high framerate.  They do a lot of processing per-pixel, which works better for more complex scenes, but worse for simpler scenes.  I'm not sure about the licensing of UE3/UDK.  I don't know if it's possible to get the full engine source (which would be necessary for proper cheat protection) for a reasonable price.