Author Topic: How to prevent PET from melting?  (Read 2492 times)

FusSioN

• Autococker
How to prevent PET from melting?
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:24 AM »
Hey guys, I have this Science Investigatory project, and I have already finished making my machine in which it enables the user cut the bottle and turn it into a thread.

So if you don't mind me asking, what change can I do to prevent it from melting?

Any reference can help.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: How to prevent PET from melting?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 02:12:29 AM »
Can you explain your method for cutting?  I'm assuming it involves some form of heat.  Thing is, you can't change the melting point without modifying the chemical structure of PET, so you'd have to change your method.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:02:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeeJEpBYsg

I'm trying to use that video as my basis, as for my innovation I wanted to make PET the closest alternative to Polyester. PET has some characteristics of Polyester, which is waterproof and lightweight. What I wanted to do is like make it adaptable to certain environments.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »
Classic Nature article on PETs from the late 70s. Should really read this if you are into that sort of thing. Just search nature and science for more goodies.

http://www.nature.com/pj/journal/v12/n2/pdf/pj198015a.pdf?origin=publication_detail

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:31:31 AM »
Thanks ^_^

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:04 AM »
Here's how the machine turned out. I have some trouble, it's not so user friendly. I have to push it against the blade instead of pulling the thread like in the video, and the thread cuts itself!

The machine works though.

Any help?