Author Topic: bunkerhill  (Read 3577 times)

helixx

• PGP
bunkerhill
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
Second map i like to present.

I try to make a little bigger map for speed servers, during i was in that work i found out that i need to get more feeling for (BSP) dimensions.

Got also some troubles with the alignment i try to fix that.

Its CTF mode with just 1 flag for each base.
There some ways to occupy and defend the bases.
The map have an low, a bunker mid (want it like a classic playfield mid), a way high and its possible to speedjump thru a window direct into the opponents base.

Whats your opinion?

Also :) i make a lot of mistakes thats why it becomes to more versions (b11) as i thought so far.Try to better that in future.

Regards.

helixx

update:upload some other pics
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:44:08 AM by helixx »

Wyze

• Stingray
Re: bunkerhill
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
High is way too fast, perhaps add more barriers or have non-ice patches so you can't get going 160mph without trouble.

helixx

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »
High is way too fast, perhaps add more barriers or have non-ice patches so you can't get going 160mph without trouble.

Hey, yes i am agree with more barriers but also a little confused.

There isnt ice on top just on the mid level above the top oft the bunker. (and low)
Ye may its not necessary anyway.

Also think about to give that bridge high, walls again to the center line and leave it open in mid a little.

I dont want it to fast too and going to revise it, time a player needs should be on a similar level anyway.

helixx

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »
Truly i asked myself, if there is an chance for that map anyway may that map feels to big and i should file that map under "my first expirences", to go ahead. :)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:19:23 PM by helixx »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
I've uploaded your map to the beta server so you can playtest it (I'll PM you the details).

First impressions:
- Flag looks like it will be too easy to defend, with just 2 narrow approaches and all that glass so defenders can see the offense coming.
- Map overall looks kind of bland -- a bit large and blocky.
- Some of the texture combinations are a bit strange (like a box texture and cobblestone texture on the same brush).
- You might look into using hint brushes to help block visibility.  r_speeds aren't terrible, but if you add more detail, they could become worse, and good visibility blockers also reduce network traffic.  See the attached screenshot -- you can see with gl_showtris 1 that large portions of the map are visible when they should be blocked by a wall.

helixx

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:56 AM »
I've uploaded your map to the beta server so you can playtest it (I'll PM you the details).

First impressions:
- Flag looks like it will be too easy to defend, with just 2 narrow approaches and all that glass so defenders can see the offense coming.
- Map overall looks kind of bland -- a bit large and blocky.
- Some of the texture combinations are a bit strange (like a box texture and cobblestone texture on the same brush).
- You might look into using hint brushes to help block visibility.  r_speeds aren't terrible, but if you add more detail, they could become worse, and good visibility blockers also reduce network traffic.  See the attached screenshot -- you can see with gl_showtris 1 that large portions of the map are visible when they should be blocked by a wall.

Thank you for the feedback! Agree in all and yes i dont use hint brushes cause im not realy understanding up until now how to handle them.
First i will figure it out by startin to use hint brushes.

Regards