Poll

Do you still care about dp2?

No
12 (20.3%)
Yes
47 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Do you still care about dp2?  (Read 14249 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Do you still care about dp2?
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »
Vote if you care about the future of this game, or if you couldn't care less to see it die.

I care about dp2.
Some people have called this  "having no life" & "too serious." But I disregard those comments as childish and a lack of understanding. I have a job, a good family and am starting up my own career.

I generally do care about the well-being of the game and it's community. This is mostly because of the amount of time that I have invested into this game.

There's the game.
There's the community.

I've met some nice people in the community. It seems almost everyone has cared about dp2 at some point. But as new games have come and people have grown tired of dp2, the number of people who actually do care has decreased.

How much does the lasting of dp2 mean to you? How much fun has this game brought to you over the time you've played? 1 year, 2 years? 3 years? 4 years+? I'm sure those who say they don't care who've played for a long period of time, do care to an extent in some way. 2 years is a long time.

Some games I play and I just do not get involved, I just play. Others, I don't just play the game, but I get involved with the community and help out. (scjmr.blogspot.com for instance)

I play the game because I find it very fun. I generally support this community and like to help out to keep this game going. I'm sure many of us have had those nice dp2 memories, I'd like to give others the chance to have these too.

I started holding the first tournaments of series one just for fun and for myself. But as I continued, it wasn't just fun, but, it seemed like the game was growing again.

I was planning on starting series two of my tournament series. My teammate, fluk3 decided to be stupid and cheat using a wallhack, so I'm not sure if my team will continue to play or if they'll just move on to cs:go. Even so, if enough people still care about this game, then I will continue to hold series two.

However, it is ok to admit that you don't care. At least do not be two-faced about it. -- Perhaps this game's core community has finally reached it's end? It pains me to say this. There are too many people in this community that post on the forums and act as if they care, when they clearly don't.

This game dies as soon as everyone stops caring.

I have decided there's no point in me caring, if I'm the only one who does. I generally have a passion for this game and community.

Perhaps it's time for me and all of us here, to move on.

Do you care?

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
Re: Do you still care about dp2?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:43:31 AM »
I want to make something for the community, so i will do something about that next week maybe. If i will have free time then i will share my idea.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:33:45 AM »
Do I still care? Yeah I do care. Believe it or not I do or I wouldn't be active in the forums. Did I get bored of the game and the same maps and people over and over? Hell yeah I did. I don't know if I'll truly ever play again but it doesn't mean I don't care for the game I played for a majority of my life. If the game were to die today and I've said this a few times previously, it's had an amazing run jitspoe did a lot since I started. Would I miss it? I'm not too sure, I've done everything in this game there is to do. So I probably wouldn't miss it to much but it doesn't mean I don't care.

I hope that the game grows but I don't see it happening unfortunately, competitive wise at least.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
I'd miss it for the 'stolgia.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
I care enough that I would evade to play this game.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:08:17 AM »
JMR my advice is to move on, find somewhere that more people will appreciate the hard work you're willing to provide.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »
Do I still care? Yeah I do care. Believe it or not I do or I wouldn't be active in the forums. Did I get bored of the game and the same maps and people over and over? Hell yeah I did. I don't know if I'll truly ever play again but it doesn't mean I don't care for the game I played for a majority of my life. If the game were to die today and I've said this a few times previously, it's had an amazing run jitspoe did a lot since I started. Would I miss it? I'm not too sure, I've done everything in this game there is to do. So I probably wouldn't miss it to much but it doesn't mean I don't care.

I hope that the game grows but I don't see it happening unfortunately, competitive wise at least.

Well said Clipz. You've done a lot for the community over the years and have shown encouragement to those who are new to the game and helped them improve.

JMR my advice is to move on, find somewhere that more people will appreciate the hard work you're willing to provide.

Thanks for being honest, CheMiCal.

So many "Yes" votes yet there are not many replies.

The motive for me to do what I do is merely because I enjoy helping out and seeing games that I've spent a lot of time playing thrive and grow. -- It's so satisfying. It's not just the playing, but seeing a game that has brought us so much fun, grow and bring others the same level of fun.

I feel like there are so many "feeders." People who ultimately care, but wouldn't do any work themselves. Sort of like "Yeah, you do all the work, this game is fun, I only play it because it's fun!" then suddenly when there's no events "dp2 is dry, not fun anymore, not sure why you care so much."
-- This is fine of course, not saying it's wrong, most people play games just to have fun and then move on once they get tired of it. But I don't think games like this will last without people contributing. At the end of the day, this game is dry without anything new happening.

I'm worried that if I stop caring, then this game will simply die.

Please don't take this as like a "drama" thread either, I saw someone post, not going to give any names, but it was soon deleted. (Let's be mature about this, it's nothing "big," just general discussion, no need to post sarcastic "I cri" replies.)

I think it does the community good to figure out who actually cares and who's just here for the bants. I respect everyone's choices and maybe it is time for us all to move on. I think we will have more of a better idea about how things are, over the next few months.

Things which are planned/inprogress:
 - New map
 - New gamemode (server-side mod)
 - New tournament series with prize money
 - New forum theme (If it is good enough)

I do not really have much of a team left in regards to my clan, but, I'm willing to give this game one last shot, before I turn 18.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »
Yup.
I've "met" many awesome people here, learned many things (IRC <3, some useful programming, Improved my English, ...)
I've also spent much time on my DP2 projects, some aren't finished yet though.

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »
Yes I do. Other games come and go, but dp is the only constant (with some breaks). If anyone needs help with a tournament/project/programming/etc., I have time and idle on IRC when I'm online.

satan-smurf

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
The game yes. The community not so much. I have played DP for a long time and rarely post on the forum. I have never played in a tournament and have only joined one clan for a short time. On average I play 3 to 6 hours a month on pub servers. I guess the reason I'm posting now is to show that for every infamous troll on the forum or wannabe haxor theirs some one like me that just wants to play the game.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »
Been playing this game for roughly 8 years and it has literally been my childhood. I even got an extended project qualification out of making a map with JMR. Incredible times. Will be very sad if it has to end. I will continue to help with testing and suggestions for your projects JMR keep doing what you do for as long as you have the will.

claudius

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm banned :(, now lets play HAWKEN.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »
I care about the game, and I hope for the best for this game. I've put a lot of time into it, whether it be playing, running the last successful league, attempting to make maps, funding servers (vent + game), helping people improve, and much more.

I troll the game and community a lot, but it doesn't mean I don't care. I just don't see the game getting to an active degree that makes it fun to play. It's fun to play Europeans sometimes - but when you're forced to play them over half your matches it's not fun. One team always has 100+ ping. That's boring.

Also in the last 3-4 years everyone stopped using IRC / having records etc... which took out a lot of the competitive nature.

It feels as though it turned into a casual game. Hence my trash talking. It actually made people want to beat me, and nobody really avoided me over it. It's sad that it was the only way to really create a competitive atmosphere. Nobody really "cares" who wins JMR's tournaments, nobody goes out of their way to improve and practice for it, and that can't change unless the player base grows. People don't "care" when they lose. I don't even care when I lose.

I don't like to hop around games, i like to stick to one and get good at it. Which is why I played league so long. DP is hands down the better game, but League has all the competitive means that make it a game I enjoy, not to mention i'm good at it so I can compete at a top level, which for me is the most fun.

But DP's player base rests on people staying around for 2-5+ years, and it cannot. The times DP has those spikes in activity are when we manage to get a group of older players back, but it's not enough to create consistent playing.

To sum it up, I care about DP, I hope it improves, but the community gets slightly smaller every year, and it's at a point where it's too small to enjoy. Not to mention there's very very very very minimal updates that actually improve the game. It just becomes more outdated every year by an even bigger amount. The gap keeps growing. There's not even HR4 on download yet.... The people posting here play this game because they enjoy it NOW - but it's in a state that is not enjoyable or productive for new players. The only pub servers I see filled usually: PGP server / Italy speed / q2jump ---> None of these servers are productive. But nobody plays on productive servers.

Best of luck to DP, I'll keep dropping in randomly hoping for the best. That's about it.

L3vi

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
Yea, well I gave my vote for "Yes" - the question is if I care about this game and yes I definetly do! Even tho I am banned, which went...well...lets say it wasnt the smartest thing I could've done. Yep, but I still care about this game and I would do everything possible to keep it alive if it comes to a serious point. I met so so many people with this game, had endless nights on teamspeak with friends and this time was just extremely epic. No matter how long I am banned - I WILL come back and even play it active again. I am working most of the day meanwhile so I dont have much time for gaming, thats why Paintball was the perfect game to save my evenings and weekends.
This game meant and still means a lot to me, as well as (most of :D) the people do!

Thats what I can say about it - I dont want it to die - and if there is anyway to help I would be willing to do it.

PCE<3

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 10:58:47 PM »
I argree JMR. And I wanna take care of teh game too. I started learnin' C now. Soon I will help you in developing.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »
I care about DP2, it is the game where I started, where I found my passion.

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 06:44:44 AM »
It feels like I would play it more if I had actual real life friends to play with and at the same time there are too few players online and because of that I am not online as well → We're all part of the problem kind of...

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »
You know, all my friend say: BAD GRAPHICS. But graphics are not the main part of a multiplayer game. THE community. I have no reallife friend to play with... ;-(

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »
Who cares about graphics, low graphics make my computer's performance faster. If you want realistic graphics, get an oculus. lmao

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »
Who cares about graphics, low graphics make my computer's performance faster. If you want realistic graphics, get an oculus. lmao

Players who have played this game long enough to appreciate the awesome gameplay this game has to offer, do not care about the graphics that much, I agree.

But new players who maybe have been trying other fps games released recently/over the past 7 years may compare modern graphics to paintball and maybe even uninstall straight away or stay for a little while and not spend enough time to get a full experience of the gameplay. Newer players seem to care a lot more about graphics. Some probably like dp2 for it's old graphics anyway, it may seem retro to some.

I personally care about the graphics to an extent. I think jitspoe has done a good job in regards to what can be done with this engine. However, if I was new to paintball now, I would definitely be put off by the graphics, but, there is only so much that can be done with this engine. It is not optimized for higher-end machines.

Unless this game were to be remade on a new engine, this game will always put some newer players off with it's graphics.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:01:26 PM by JMR »