Author Topic: buying a new headset  (Read 16500 times)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
Re: buying a new headset
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 05:37:23 AM »
If u buy some good quality mics, for example from Razer (90-250 Euro) or Rode - good one cost around 250-300, u will have great sound. If u will decide to buy low quality 20-50 Euro mic, it is no worth, even if u will got pop-filter or micsock, it will not help a lot. A lot of noise in background. If u want great sound with some decent or good mic for good price, go for 7.1 headset.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
i thought about that too, but i noticed many headsets already have a own soundcard, and a mic obviously too^^
Yeah but a rather crappy one.

the main reason for me to buy a gaming headset is 7.1 precision, even tho its more expensive. i prefer headsets instead of single components.
You should read into what that "7.1" means when you buy such headsets. Most of the time, that just means that the headset is a normal stereo headset with two speakers but the soundchip that comes with it supports computer emulated room sound (like the Dolby headphone technology). Any decent sound card (or even software nowadays) can give you that. I can enable that too with my stereo headphones. There was no headset / set of headphones mentioned here that has more than 2 speakers in it.

also, don't you hear everything if you buy a mic separately? like some laptop mic where you can hear everything what happens in your room
No, you definitely don't. Obviously, when the internal mic is far away from the mouth, its hard to filter out noise. There are a lot of microphone types for all kinds of purposes, some barely record anything from more than 1m away. Those attached to headsets are just a small part of that. The AntLion ModMic I mentioned does a good job here and gives you all the flexibility of a normal headset.

You're from Austria, so I'll post two links to German guides where people that I think know what they talk about explain why they prefer the combination of custom parts.
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f267/superlux-hd681-gg-logitech-g35-roccat-kave-creative-fatal1ty-861496.html
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1023793

If you don't agree I'm fine with that, I just wanted this option to be mentioned because I wish someone had told me about this combination when I was looking for good, neutral sounding headsets with good mics and soundcards that have a high SNR.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:07:35 AM by xrichardx »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
If u had 7.1 headset, some with good quality (what i guess u didn't had), u can't comprate stereo headphones with 7.1 headphones. I had stereo, i had dolby, i have 7.1 headphones and it is HUGE difference. You basically can't get something like 7.1 with stereo. Try to watch movie with it or play CS GO. Difference is big. I can make my stereo headphones working like 7.1, so it will act like 7.1 but if u put real 7.1 the diff is like about 70 percent. So no, u can't get same thing from stereo. (Even dolby what is great to watch movies with it can't be that good like 7.1, i played CS GO like an example with it and the sounds (details in the sounds) are better on 7.1. Much better than using dolby "surround sound", or remade stereo, and a little bit better than using 5.1).

+ this is not only about sound, he want something comfortable, what he can use maybe whole day sometimes, maybe 5 hours, without feeling it on head, maybe something what is strong, made great and "unbreakable". Where you can turn on 7.1 (games, movies) or turn off 7.1 (for music), something what is blocking all noises around you, and you hear only sound coming out from headphones. The best choice for him is definitely HyperX from Kingston, Razer or Sennheiser 7.1 headsets.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »
If you are looking for 7.1 headset, make sure it's 'real 7.1'
If you are looking for headset which eliminates all the noise from outside, make sure its 'closed-back' ear cups, meaning it tries to separate sound in your headset from the outside. Unfortunately closed-back ear cups are usually less comfortable and harder to keep on for longer periods of time.

Sennheiser PC 360 are open-back ear cups and Razer Kraken were closed-back. Honestly i couldn't really notice the difference. I guess there was a small difference, but nothing like "omg now i hear everything from the outside!", but I would take that trade anytime for the improved comfort. I can have the Sennheiser on my ears whole day and I am just totally fine.

Also, a lot of time manufacturers neglect the mic quality on headphones, so make sure to check some review to actually get a feeling about the mic quality.

Lastly, real 7.1 is imo pretty expensive. Not sure if you can get one cheaper than Sennheiser PC 360 (which isn't 7.1, its only stereo), which you said is too expensive for your taste.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 11:21:11 AM »
so i went to the shop yesterday to buy the hyperx cloud 2, unfortunately they didnt had it (even tho their website said they have it directly in the store!).
i didnt want to wait for it so i took my 2nd choice which was the kraken 7.1 chroma from razer, its pretty cool headset but i think i need to get used to it^^

its pretty unfamiliar for me not to hear my own voice while talking on teamspeak/skype, are their any settings so i can hear my voice without delay?
also, if someone for example disconnects in paintball, it feels like an earthquake. i turned the bass down on this razer synapse driver thingy but its still heavy. any ideas how to turn that down?^^

EDIT: hearing myself on ts was just an easy windows setting, "problem" sloved^^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:25:43 PM by lukip »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
Just curious, which ear gets the sub in a 7.1 headset?

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Most likely the third ear.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 01:54:58 AM »
so i went to the shop yesterday to buy the hyperx cloud 2, unfortunately they didnt had it (even tho their website said they have it directly in the store!).
i didnt want to wait for it so i took my 2nd choice which was the kraken 7.1 chroma from razer, its pretty cool headset but i think i need to get used to it^^

its pretty unfamiliar for me not to hear my own voice while talking on teamspeak/skype, are their any settings so i can hear my voice without delay?
also, if someone for example disconnects in paintball, it feels like an earthquake. i turned the bass down on this razer synapse driver thingy but its still heavy. any ideas how to turn that down?^^

EDIT: hearing myself on ts was just an easy windows setting, "problem" sloved^^
TS has this built-in Settings > Recording (or sth like that, microphone settings) > Test voice detection. Easier than in windows imo, but your choice.

No clue about the bass, I didn't have an issue with it. Maybe check in windows settings again, if there isn't some sort of 'enhancement'http://ctrlv.cz/cLWl. Otherwise not really sure how to fix that, maybe use some enhancement which has an opposite effect.

Also, you know that Razer chroma has only 'fake' 7.1? Only one repro in it and the 3D effect is made by a software.

No clue, never really researched into it that much, nor did I ever get a real 7.1 headset, they are just too expensive and I would rather get high quality stereo than low quality 7.1.

But I would assume you get 8 repros, 3 for sound, 1 for bass on each side. Would be the most logical solution, and having stereo bass sounds pretty cool ^^. Not sure if its like that in reality tho, manufacturers probably want to save money and will just stick to the standard 7.1, while you get bass only on one side.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 04:14:27 AM »
What do you mean by fake 7.1? Like virtual 7.1?
If yes, most of the headsets i checked had virtual 7.1, like you alreasy said. Its expensive, real quality 7.1 is about 500e from what ive seen

- sent from smartphone

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 05:51:33 AM »
No clue, never really researched into it that much, nor did I ever get a real 7.1 headset, they are just too expensive and I would rather get high quality stereo than low quality 7.1.

But I would assume you get 8 repros, 3 for sound, 1 for bass on each side. Would be the most logical solution, and having stereo bass sounds pretty cool ^^. Not sure if its like that in reality tho, manufacturers probably want to save money and will just stick to the standard 7.1, while you get bass only on one side.
Never researched it either, I just assume if they are actually 'real 7.1' then they are marketed like that because its something people are familiar with, but actually aren't 7.1, cos I just don't think that would work.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
Fake 7.1 is something like you got installed software in it and it got only one repro on every side of headphones (like prozajik said, + look at picture what he posted with headphones - he posted how real 7.1 headphones looks like), what is trying to act like real 7.1 but it is a little bit different. Real 7.1 in headphones are made with few repros for example 4, 5 repros on each side and it is simulating real 7.1 sound. If you went for razer, and you can still give this razer back, go exchange it for Razer Tiamat 7.1, or HyperX Coud II or if you can pay more buy this one SENNHEISER PC 363D. These sennheiser comes with USB soundcard so you will get 99% close to true 7.1, i don't know if it's worth for this price, but w/e. You can even buy some Logitechs, but what i heard, they aren't really comfortable.

I don't know a lot about other headphones, but i own HyperX Cloud II, these got 7.1 99% similar to repros placed all over the room in 7.1 cuz of the new kingston profile. If you wear these headphones and playing with 7.1 or watching movie it really feels like the sound is no longer coming out from headset so close to your head like a lot of 7.1's but from much larger audio sources in the distance. I had Razer Kraken 7.1 (not chorma), and it is not huge, but significant difference. They got remote for turning on 7.1 and turning off, because they wanted to make stereo sound (primary one) so you can use them without mic out in the streets - they don't look like gaming headphones, or you can connect it thru remote via usb to PC/laptop and turn on your 7.1 in headset.

Just one thing i don't like on these HyperX is that clear audio separation between all types of elements becomes a little bit more difficult when you turn on 7.1. Example: footsteps became less detailed because everything is pushed back, BUT you get an extra sense of where those footsteps came from. So it is - and + too. Long range setting for ears, Earcups are exchangeable, 2 types of earcups, great feeling leather + extra padding (real leather one and large and comfortable velvet ear pads to cushion your ears while gaming). This small but very important feature is usually found on more expensive headphones. One minus i don't like at all is MIC, it is only good for communication, because it has noise-cancelling microphone, but for streaming/videos is better to buy normal MIC. This one is decent.

I was researching about this headphones and u can get basically headphones for 100 bucks, worth 200-250 bucks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:22:55 AM by Squeeze »

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
What do you mean by fake 7.1? Like virtual 7.1?
If yes, most of the headsets i checked had virtual 7.1, like you alreasy said. Its expensive, real quality 7.1 is about 500e from what ive seen

- sent from smartphone
Yes, exactly, 7.1 is simulated by using only one repro (on each side), while 'real' 7.1 has enough repros to simulate it more 'realistically'.

Fake 7.1 is something like you got installed software in it and it got only one repro on every side of headphones (like prozajik said, + look at picture what he posted with headphones - he posted how real 7.1 headphones looks like), what is trying to act like real 7.1 but it is a little bit different. Real 7.1 in headphones are made with few repros for example 4, 5 repros on each side and it is simulating real 7.1 sound. If you went for razer, and you can still give this razer back, go exchange it for Razer Tiamat 7.1, or HyperX Coud II or if you can pay more buy this one SENNHEISER PC 363D. These sennheiser comes with USB soundcard so you will get 99% close to true 7.1, i don't know if it's worth for this price, but w/e. You can even buy some Logitechs, but what i heard, they aren't really comfortable.

I don't know a lot about other headphones, but i own HyperX Cloud II, these got 7.1 99% similar to repros placed all over the room in 7.1 cuz of the new kingston profile. If you wear these headphones and playing with 7.1 or watching movie it really feels like the sound is no longer coming out from headset so close to your head like a lot of 7.1's but from much larger audio sources in the distance. I had Razer Kraken 7.1 (not chorma), and it is not huge, but significant difference. They got remote for turning on 7.1 and turning off, because they wanted to make stereo sound (primary one) so you can use them without mic out in the streets - they don't look like gaming headphones, or you can connect it thru remote via usb to PC/laptop and turn on your 7.1 in headset.

Just one thing i don't like on these HyperX is that clear audio separation between all types of elements becomes a little bit more difficult when you turn on 7.1. Example: footsteps became less detailed because everything is pushed back, BUT you get an extra sense of where those footsteps came from. So it is - and + too. Long range setting for ears, Earcups are exchangeable, 2 types of earcups, great feeling leather + extra padding (real leather one and large and comfortable velvet ear pads to cushion your ears while gaming). This small but very important feature is usually found on more expensive headphones. One minus i don't like at all is MIC, it is only good for communication, because it has noise-cancelling microphone, but for streaming/videos is better to buy normal MIC. This one is decent.

I was researching about this headphones and u can get basically headphones for 100 bucks, worth 200-250 bucks.
Just to clarify, hyperx cloud headset still has 'fake' 7.1, http://www.custompcreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kingston-hyperx-cloud-ii-pro-gaming-headset-custom-pc-review-15.jpg. I guess you already said it in your post, but wasn't sure if its really clear from that.

True that it has built-in sound card along with headset, but most headsets do, they are just not visible, as long as it has USB, it most likely has sound card built-in.

Never researched it either, I just assume if they are actually 'real 7.1' then they are marketed like that because its something people are familiar with, but actually aren't 7.1, cos I just don't think that would work.
Well you would need third extra earcup ^^ (and ear). You are right, real real 7.1 would never be possible with headset, probably calling it like that, because "3D sound headset" just doesn't sound as cool as 7.1 headset, because 3D might as well mean some lower setup like 5.1, and who would buy 5.1 when they could have 7.1?! 7 is bigger than 5 duh.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
Yes, hyperX could II is "Fake 7.1 like all others" i was just pointing out, that "these got 7.1 99% similar to repros placed all over the room in 7.1 cuz of the new kingston profile." Just because of new technology, features and usb card this is new level of headphones and you can compare them with 200-250 dollars headsets. Ofc if u want real 7.1 and u want see big difference, prepare yourself for 350 dollars+.

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 02:07:31 AM »
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 01:22:29 PM by ascraeus »

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
i may give it back anyways, 1 or 2 days ago it started soughing(if its the correct word?!) and it wont stop. it started reasonless and i dont know where it comes from, i set everything to default but its still there..
i tried other headsets on my pc and they worked fine.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
how much money are you willing to spend on a headset? if its under 150(hyperx is the only one) you're not going to get what you really want. All these guys will tell you is what's wrong with the headset and that you need 3 ears to have 7.1.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 08:54:18 AM »
11.1 surround sound lol

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »
I read some of this and quickly scrolled to Jitspoe's reponse to see what he thought about the whole 7.1 surround thing and maybe thought he'd comment on whether paintball is 7.1 surround compatible or whatever. What he posted is just as good though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
Currently, it doesn't support proper surround sound.  I do want to set it up to use OpenAL or some other library that supports 3D sound, though.  Just haven't had time to work on it much lately.

On topic, for general voice com, I'd suggest a separate mic and headphones.  There's a ~$30 (back when I got it) USB microphone that Logitech makes that's pretty decent, and you don't have to have it right up in your face to pick up well.  Unfortunately, it picks up background noise pretty well, too, so it's not good if you play with speakers or in a noisy environment.  I have the Grado SR-80 headphones (the SR-60's work almost just as well if you're on a lower budget).