Author Topic: buying a new headset  (Read 16499 times)

lukip

• VM-68
buying a new headset
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
ive played with some 15e sennheiser headset, and it worked fine until the headphones broke..
now i thought about buying a gaming headset, but i have no clue about what to buy or what to look for..

what does a good headset need? especially for playing games. can you suggest headsets you have made good experiences with?
my budget is about 100-150€.

tobiantifa

• VM-68
Re: buying a new headset
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Turtle Beach Earforce x12
then you can download the 7.1 drivers from razr
and also the mic. is crystal clear

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
How much does it cost?

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
Here's the link: www.google.com

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »
50 euro

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 04:23:59 PM »

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:13:30 PM »
I use my sony MDR-XB 500 with an external mic. The headphones do their job pretty well. You can stick some mic to the headphones though.
Headphones + tape + wooden stick + mic = headset

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
I use my sony MDR-XB 500 with an external mic. The headphones do their job pretty well. You can stick some mic to the headphones though.
Headphones + tape + wooden stick + mic = headset
Mic name?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 05:07:22 AM »
I used Creative SoundBlaster Tactic3D for most of the time playing PB - nothing special, but it did its job.

After that I switched to Razer Kraken Pro, but not really fan of mic there, never seemed good at all. Other than that decent headset, and pretty comfortable.

Then I decided to do some research on what most people use and also some rankings (yea, they usually suck, but they at least give you an idea what might be good). The Turtle Beach Earforce x12 which tobiantifa suggested was usually rated really high, unfortunately its basically impossible to get in EU, at least I wasn't able to find any easy-to-get source.

After looking up what most pros use, I ended up deciding between HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset and Sennheiser PC 366 (I got PC 360 it just doesn't have 3D sound compared to 366, after sennheiser saw how many ppl started buying these PCs they made brand new model called G4ME which has extra joints on each side! But is basically the same otherwise afaik ^^. Didn't really check G4Me tho I went for the cheapest one, because the quality is still the same).
Ended up going with sennheiser and I would never trade it for anything. The comfort is incomparable to any other headset I ever had. Same goes for the audio and the mic quality is really good as well, given it's 'only' headset. The only downside is, that it is kind of expensive, but you get the quality for it.

TL;DR
Most pros in FPS games use HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset or Sennheiser PC 366/G4ME/360
Got the sennheiser PC 360 and it's easily the best headset I've ever had.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
HyperX Cloud II Headset from Kingston is worth. It is really light weight on head, u don't feel them even after 8 hours (cloud on head lol). Sound is great, 7.1 amazing, everything is great just mic isn't the best, but decent one. I made a research about headphones when i wanted to buy one, and HyperX was great choice. Cloud I is 75 Euro, but they are squishy, u can break them easily. Cloud II 100 Euro and they are made perfectly. You can even unplug mic from them and use them as normal headphones for music when walking on the street.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:02:58 PM by Squeeze »

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
so what i have seen so far is that the sennheiser pc 360 and the sony MDR are pretty expensive, expectly the sennheiser. i dont wanna spend so much money for a headset to be honest.
even tho the pc 360 was rated pretty high in several tests.

the hyperx could II seems pretty nice if you compare test results and its price, its the one id assume the most at the moment. its also is not far behind the pc 360, imo.

the turtle beach earforce x12, i dont wanna pay like 40bucks just to get it into my country^^ but its pretty decent headset and it wasnt rated bad aswell.

another one ive seen in some compare tests (which was rated really good aswell) is the sound blaster tactic3 rage from creative ( http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Tactic3D-Wireless-Headset/dp/B00Q3XLL2E )
what do you think about that?^^

EDIT: woops, i didnt read the part of the soundblaster in your Post
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:37:02 AM by lukip »

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
ThermalTake Cronos is nice and rather cheap. I now have a Logitech G430, it's perfect

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 12:07:40 PM »

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »
i saw the point -wireless
and thats it, wireless headsets aren't good, i had one and the quality can't be at one level with a normal headset...

and with logitech i had some wire problems they broke instant i had the g35 just about 3 weeks and now it's wireless :D

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 is available from Amazon, don't know why you guys can't find it.
http://www.amazon.de/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-X12/dp/B005EQE0YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434038066&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+beach+earforce+x12

I'm having a Sennheiser PC 151 myself and it fits my needs very well. I'm pretty sure there are better choices if you have more money to invest though.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
hm i checked google and i just found sources which were far away from my country (austria). but anyways, tobi sent me the link of an online shop, and its nice to have it on amazon too. thanks ;)

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
i've been through almost every headset brand there is, and the only ones that have had the durability of a real gamer are Astro, Tritton, and steelseries. (DON'T EVER GET ANYTHING WIRELESS, ITS A NO NO FOR A GAMER.)

http://www.astrogaming.com/

http://trittonaudio.com/

http://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Personally, I prefer going custom and buying a soundcard, HiFi-headphones and microphone separately just as I like to build computer the way I want them which often gives more power for less money. If you're buying "professional gaming 7.1 ultra precision blah blah by company X" you're paying half the price just for the name. Currently I got an Asus Xonar soundcard and Superlux headphones with a Modmic attached to it for about 80$ and I bet the actual mic and sound quality are above what you can get with any "gaming" headset in that price range. If you want to invest more, you can always go up with each of the components (professional external soundcard, headphones by AKG/Beyerdynamics, large-diaphragm condenser microphones).

tobiantifa

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 04:44:39 AM »
Personally, I prefer going custom and buying a soundcard, HiFi-headphones and microphone separately just as I like to build computer the way I want them which often gives more power for less money. If you're buying "professional gaming 7.1 ultra precision blah blah by company X" you're paying half the price just for the name. Currently I got an Asus Xonar soundcard and Superlux headphones with a Modmic attached to it for about 80$ and I bet the actual mic and sound quality are above what you can get with any "gaming" headset in that price range. If you want to invest more, you can always go up with each of the components (professional external soundcard, headphones by AKG/Beyerdynamics, large-diaphragm condenser microphones).

you ever heared turtle beach's sound ? and also the mic. when i get my pc today I can show you on ts or somewhere else that those are rly good mics.

lukip

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 05:30:54 AM »
i thought about that too, but i noticed many headsets already have a own soundcard, and a mic obviously too^^
the main reason for me to buy a gaming headset is 7.1 precision, even tho its more expensive. i prefer headsets instead of single components.
also, dont you hear everything if you buy a mic separately? like some laptop mic where you can hear everything what happens in your room