Author Topic: The Techbyrinth  (Read 2314 times)

medley crew 2

The Techbyrinth
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:07:37 PM »
i'm getting bored of racetrack... not that i'm not going to finish it, but i needed to take a break from it.

i've already had a new idea for my next map, and started working on it. it's called the techbyrinth. (technology and labyrinth combined). so it's basically a high-tech maze. i already have both bases done, and i must say they look awesome! :) i used teleporters again in this, but made them a little more cool looking. i also used a cool theme for the jail, i call it "solid light". i scaled up some red textures for the red base and yellow textures for the yellow base up to about 100, made them flow and trans33, and it looks like solid light. for the path between the bases, it's going to be just a field of buttons, so that no matter where you walk, you will step on a button. when you step on a button, it will bring up two walls from the ground. if all the walls were up, it would look like a normal maze, but to make it even harder, you can only see two walls at once. i will start posting screenshots soon.  :)

this map will support ctf and elim modes.

Spook

• Autococker
Re: The Techbyrinth
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:43:28 PM »
my advice to you is that noone i see posting back here is a fan of your teleporters so dont overdo them this time make a simple and enjoyable map with 2 bases and some good jumps

medley crew 2

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:05:47 PM »
the only thing teleporters are used for in this is transfer between the base and the ground. (because the base is hundreds of feet above the ground  ;)) other than that it's completely teleporter-free. here are shots of what i have so far. yellow and red bases, and jail. of course the playing field has nothing in it yet but believe me it's gonna be cool  :D also the map is not lighted or vised (yet) cuz whats the point of waiting for it to compile every time when you're only testing?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 06:28:09 PM by medley crew 2 »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »
your maps are so bland and all of them are boxes, your next map make 2 forts with maybe a bd entrance and make the main part of the base with some cover barrels or boxes and then make mid carry good guns and barrels with good cover on eachside make it somewhat complex but right now i dislike all your maps and im ot being biased i just think they arent well thought out at all

medley crew 1

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »
interesting, kind of weird with all the clear walls

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
point of map?

medley crew 2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
its a ctf map, so capturing the flag is the point... the playing field is not done yet, of course.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:59:11 PM »
I must say, that looks really bad. The 2nd to last sshot especially. You need to work on texturing there. Other that that, it looks like a pretty bad map. I'm not a fan of the layout, though I have yet to see you make a map I like. :P

medley crew 2

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »
jeez its not done... you guys act like i'm trying to release an unvised, nonlighted map with crappy textures.

i'm gonna try to make this level a little more interesting with not just boxes, but don't forget i'm still a noob at mapping altogether.

i don't know what you have aginst my levels anyway, especially ones like traps and rewards? i think they're a nice break from normal strategic levels that to me get boring after a while. most people i've played with in the game enjoy them..

speaking of traps and rewards, i'm thinking of making a lit version after i fix all the leaks.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:00:18 AM »
A very wise man once said...
Don't release your first map.  No offense, but first maps usually suck unless you have some kind of previous experience with 3D editing.  I know it takes a lot of time at first, but once you get it down, you can make a new map, beter than the first, in less than half the time.  Show it to some friends.  Get some feedback, then chaulk it off as a learning experience.

medley crew 2

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:04:08 AM »
not my first map...

like i said... i haven't realeased it yet.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 10:44:16 AM »
------------------------------------------------------------------
                        notice the 's'
                                  v
No offense, but first maps usually suck
------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont really think you should release it, maps like this one should be used for learning only, since its just a box-like map with a bridge connecting both sides(correct me if im wrong, because i really havent seen the map)

**Edit**
I'm not saying not to release maps, i'm saying not to release them all.

medley crew 2

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 11:31:57 AM »
ok i'll correct you. the map isnt done. there is gonna be a huge maze in the center but you won't be able to see it. it will pop up in sections fron underground. the bridge you see at the top is just the jail.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »
Unless you want a bunch of negative feedback, you should wait until your map is in a decent looking state to post screen shots of it.  Make sure the lighting and texturing look good, and at least make the section of the map you take a screenshot of look finished, even if you have to box off the rest of it to get it to fully compile.

medley crew 2

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »
yeah... well i kinda wanted to give them an idea about what i was doing