Author Topic: Windows 8 to Windows 10 FPS improvement.  (Read 14842 times)

JeongWa

• Autococker
Windows 8 to Windows 10 FPS improvement.
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
Hi there,

My FPS were around 150 -> 250 maximum in DP with windows 8.1

Since i installed the new OS Windows 10 this morning, i went on DP, and see a huge amelioration. They are now at 300 (the lowest) to 1000. Does someone have a explanation to that ? I would like to know what and how.  I guess windows 10 is more optimised, and use less memory in the background, but it should have nothing to do with FPS right? Anyway, waiting for the captain to clear things up.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
Re: Windows 8 to Windows 10 FPS improvement.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
Have you copied your configuration file? Did you install the same graphics driver? Any changes in any of these may lead to different framerates, I doubt that windows alone gave you that boost.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
Every configurations were saved, i did not install anything beside the windows updater did, and my drivers were already on date. I guess i should just find a whole recap of what is included in the w10 installation, but i did not find that.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
Yeah, since DP runs on OpenGL and not DirectX, Win10 shouldn't have made a difference -- certainly not that much of a difference.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:15 AM »
Are you using nvidia or AMD? With Windows 10 AMD released new GPU update in which they fixed a really old 'misconfiguration' or w/e you wanna call it, the equivalent for nvidia cards is called "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" and for some people it caused significant FPS boost.

But reading your post again, I guess you didn't install anything new? Just installed Win10 and was done with it?

PS:F you, I wanna Win10 too, but I am still waiting for my 'notification' :(

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:46:16 AM »
Are you using nvidia or AMD? With Windows 10 AMD released new GPU update in which they fixed a really old 'misconfiguration' or w/e you wanna call it, in nvidia its equivalent to "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" and for some people it caused significant FPS boost.

But reading your post again, I guess you didn't install anything new? Just installed Win10 and was done with it?

PS:F you, I wanna Win10 too, but I am still waiting for my 'notification' :(
I have 2x Win10. One from the Insider thing, another upgraded from win8.1

@prozajik wait,wait,wait. Installation files are already loaded in the background. XD. Check the C:\$-Windows or idk named folder (but not the C:\Windows).

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:23:01 AM »
I have 2x Win10. One from the Insider thing, another upgraded from win8.1

@prozajik wait,wait,wait. Installation files are already loaded in the background. XD. Check the C:\$-Windows or idk named folder (but not the C:\Windows).
Microsoft is releasing Win10 in waves, Edu + Enterprise are gonna receive it 1st August. Theoretically I could get Win10 from dreamspark (website which offers paid Microsoft applications for free to some universities) since its already there. But I will rather wait for the notification, upgrade from 8.1 + original 10 = 2 licenses ^^

Yea, I can see the folder, kind of doubt it would work tbh, since its most likely waiting for license or something, but I will see what happens.

EDIT:Yep, can't locate boot.wim

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:19:25 AM »
My win 10 is still downloading =D... i think
Does anybody know how I can check te download progress?
I've installed win 8.1 on my lappy from a BOX set

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »
Are you using nvidia or AMD?

I got a nvidia. I can guarantee that my FPS were not that high before upgrading my comp to windows 10. Something was in there, just need to find out what.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:10 AM »
I got FPS improvement too, it's amazing, on my windows 8.1 i was 1000 fps, now I'm on 1000 FPS, HUGE. If you look closely, you will see FPS difference between 1000 and 1000.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 06:00:32 AM »
I got a nvidia. I can guarantee that my FPS were not that high before upgrading my comp to windows 10. Something was in there, just need to find out what.
Did you download any latest drivers for GPU released specifically for Win10?

But yea, most people are reporting FPS improvements (even tho not as huge as you are describing), its either that or compatibility issues ^^

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
Did you download any latest drivers for GPU released specifically for Win10?

I havn't started anything exept the updater of windows 10 which has downloaded everythings it needed. The only way i could have downladed a driver for GPU is if it was included in the updater. That's why i want to find the whole recap about things that were included in the upgrade of windows 10.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »
I havn't started anything exept the updater of windows 10 which has downloaded everythings it needed. The only way i could have downladed a driver for GPU is if it was included in the updater. That's why i want to find the whole recap about things that were included in the upgrade of windows 10.
Yea, no way new GPU driver was installed along with Win10

Anyway here you go:
http://changewindows.org/build.php?build=10240

Guess this is as detailed as it gets.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:25 AM »
Alright, thank you, not helping much since there is nothing that explain why my fps have been improved so much.. but meh, i'll not complain ;p

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
There is a way to force Windows Update to install Windows 10 before you get the notification. Do a bit of Googling and you should find it. (I can't remember where I saw it.)

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
Windows CMD with admin rights -> wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Edit:
Some sites say that works, some say it just works if you already downloaded the files via the update.

Microsoft provides kind of an installer here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
This can be used to update your current machine or to create images for an install cd / thumbdrive.
Also you can directly download an .iso file which contains the installation files, but I can't find any international site that hosts it. Seems like microsoft stopped distributing that. They only link to the tool now.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:12:23 PM by xrichardx »

thegreatestminer

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »
Meh, my attempt to install Windows 10 failed miserably. All day did it take to download Windows 10. It took 3 *$#$#@$ HOURS to update (something). I found $Windows.~BT and ran the setup. Said boot.wim was missing. Restarted the computer. EVERY darn THING. GONE. Now I have to wait a few more days for it to update and download again. 0.o

One more thing, how the heck are you supposed to get the boot.wim file?
ONE MORE THING, I'm downloading Windows 10 with this tool Microsoft made: (32-bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935) and (64-bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936) Enjoy.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Meh, my attempt to install Windows 10 failed miserably. All day did it take to download Windows 10. It took 3 *$#$#@$ HOURS to update (something). I found $Windows.~BT and ran the setup. Said boot.wim was missing. Restarted the computer. EVERY darn THING. GONE. Now I have to wait a few more days for it to update and download again. 0.o

One more thing, how the heck are you supposed to get the boot.wim file?
ONE MORE THING, I'm downloading Windows 10 with this tool Microsoft made: (32-bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935) and (64-bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936) Enjoy.
You wont find the setup file. Just wait till that  notification appears...
Try to download it with the lil tool ms send to all win 7/win 8.1 PCs,wich is on your taskbar's notification area. (Its called Get Windows 10, process name: GWX.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 12:04:23 AM »
Windows CMD with admin rights -> wuauclt.exe /updatenow
That was only part of the solution. I went ahead and dug up a link with the full instructions:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:23:54 AM »
That was only part of the solution. I went ahead and dug up a link with the full instructions:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-to-force-windows-to-start-downloading-the-windows-10-update-files/
Pretty cool, thanks for he link. And it works too ^^

I think mine download got stuck somewhere, since everyone seems to have it already. One reason might be that I switch around from company proxy to my home (without proxy) and it probably got confused halfway.

Or I was just supposed to get it later, but meh :p