Poll

Do you want a new online server rent tool?

Yes
4 (28.6%)
No
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: New server rent tool?  (Read 4335 times)

mRokita

• Autococker
New server rent tool?
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
New features:
-Accounts (Default vars connected with profile, fav servers, match search)
-Much easier to set up for server admins (adding ip, port and rcon password to set up a server, propably some addictional settings - to the admins: will you do this?)
-Random passwords

lukip

• VM-68
Re: New server rent tool?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:29 AM »
focus on your dp league system q=
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:00:07 PM by lukip »

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:20:38 AM »
who is that stupid person who voted "no"?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:18 AM »
I'm not stupid, but the second "no". Our matchleaser website has everything, we want. It's easy and customizable.  Why should i delete it and set up another one?

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:48 AM »
Terrorist, it doesnt matter to admins.
It might use the dpmatchreserve tool though instead of using rcon.
It is a worse solution though.
Dont say "i dont need it" without any valid reason. That system will make you able to rent any server through one website.

Lukip, it is a part of the dpleague project.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:21:52 AM »
If you vote "No", it would be nice if you can tell me why.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
I'm not stupid, but the second "no". Our matchleaser website has everything, we want. It's easy and customizable.  Why should i delete it and set up another one?
Srsly, If u dont want, dont set up this new one.
Also, this tool is something universal, you can rent any serv with it.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »
You want to run this as a global tool on your server, right? Rcon packets are transmitted unencrypted, everyone can sniff the passwords then. A whole lot more insecure than letting the tool run on the same server, using rcon to the localhost.

The new features you posted are not really something would I care about.
Accounts? Well, I wouldn't use them anyway, it would probably take more time to log in than to just check the server / settings I want. Match Search? There's IRC already and those who would use this for searching matches are surely already using IRC, so there's no improvement over IRC.
Random passwords? You want to set up a list? That makes it easier to guess them since you already give everyone the list of passwords they have to test. You want to generate real random passwords? That makes sharing them ingame a pain since you can't easily copy text from the console.
Easier to set up? As far as I can remember, setting up DPMatchReserve involves exactly that: adding a port and a rcon_password to a config file.

Things I would probably like: DPLogin ID based connect restriction and DPLogin ID based OP level, joining teams only allowed for players (like for a league, you would have to say "I want to match with my clan against that clan" and only the players of the clans can join a team), option to set whether spectators should be allowed / optional spectator password.

Voted no because thats my answer to the question asked here: "Do you want a new online server rent tool?". No, I do not want a new one, I think the old one works fine. I don't know why MON1TOR would insult people who vote no.

MON1TOR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »
I don't know why MON1TOR would insult people who vote no.
First off, The poll doesnt show names so Idk what persons vote "no".
Also, if hTml wants to make it, he should do it. It's your problem if you'll not use it, omg.
'Insult' omg.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »
You want to run this as a global tool on your server, right? Rcon packets are transmitted unencrypted, everyone can sniff the passwords then. A whole lot more insecure than letting the tool run on the same server, using rcon to the localhost.

I agree with this, even though I doubt there's a ton of danger of someone sniffing packets going between a website and a DP server.

I think the ideal solution would be for each match server to at least host an API script that would provide the extra security, and then html's script could query the API script on each individual game server.

Or, a similar way would be for each match server to host a typical match reserving page, and then html can just reverse-engineer the form submissions that those websites send to themselves and send the same info from his site to do the reservation.

Over SSL/TLS, of course.

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
Fr, plz focus on one project (DPLeague), before you start looking at another hTml! Thx:D

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 07:04:39 AM »
Nope, fine with the old one. Never change a running system

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 08:12:51 AM »
Nope, fine with the old one. Never change a running system

If you can upgrade the old running system, of course i'd do it, especially if it provide all servers in one tab, go for it if you can, that would be helpful, but i feel like you are announcing way to much things, and i still didnt saw one up yet, exept the phone apps (which i don't use)
Work on things you announced before starting other project :)

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
ic3y.de already has a link to each server's rent page