Author Topic: No cap rule in 1vs1  (Read 5084 times)

aborted

• VM-68
No cap rule in 1vs1
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
I played against Toxiic long time ago 1vs1, and I cap the flag, he said its against the rule to cap the flag in 1vs1, and he said its official dp rule and that everyone knows it, so I wanna check it on forum, where can I find this rule about no caps in 1vs1 ? I play since 2009 and I have never heard about such thing about 'no cap rule in 1vs1' . ??

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
Re: No cap rule in 1vs1
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:33:51 PM »
He tried to outplay you with "his own rule".

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
It's commonly known that you do not cap in a 1v1 if its a gigantic map because it is most likely you won't even meet eachother during the game and will just go for caps.
On smaller maps, you'd be allowed to cap because it's harder to cap, i.e. Xbmap1 and zpar11.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »
It's commonly known that you do not cap in a 1v1 if its a gigantic map because it is most likely you won't even meet eachother during the game and will just go for caps.
On smaller maps, you'd be allowed to cap because it's harder to cap, i.e. Xbmap1 and zpar11.
I recall playing pgp only was also no caps.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:47:13 AM »
Gonna let the community of this game decide, before I link them the rules. Cameron and flamer are so far right.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:21:47 AM »
Those things you called are more like gentlemen agreements than rules to me. I like them though.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:33:51 AM »
If you don't want caps, load the maps in Elim mode. Simple logic shows that this means that caps are allowed if the map is loaded in CTF. Just exactly like you would set expert if you want to play PGP only and not just say pgp only. Generally, the player / team who choses the map can also specify the gamemode. If it was your map, wanting it in CTF and capping is perfectly fine. If it was Toxiic's map, he should have loaded it in elim, so capping is also perfectly fine if the map is loaded with CTF as gamemode. Players got 30 seconds even after joining before the game starts where they can check the gamemode the map is loaded in. If noone complains and the match starts that pretty much means everyone accepts the current mode.

Keeping these things as an agreement between players can cause trouble even if both sides agree, eg. when someone accidentally picks up a gun when they said they would play PGP only. Server settings are the official and troubleless way to go.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 03:05:02 AM »
Honestly thought everyone knew how to properly 1v1, There's a lot of newer players so i guess we can try to let everyone know of what rules the community agrees on. This is how it's been since way back when.

1) tell your opponent which rules you'd prefer before the 1v1 starts.
2) In 1v1s you don't trade at all period. Trading results in map restart.
3) If you grab and outplay them and cap before they grab flag(s) then all is fair.
4) If they're just getting the grab and you speed in and cap(i.e wobluda) and you be like " OMG U GRABBED RIGHT AS I CAPPED" Then you ff. Don't be a bunghole. 
5) Braking the "rules" results in a ff of that map.

Like jimbob said: These are more like gentlemen agreements than rules. but they were followed years back.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:33 AM »
If you don't want cap trading, set "flagmustbeatbase" on the server. No crying, no discussing, it's a simple game decision whether a cap was according to the rules or not and you can't "break" the rules. Just letting the game decide what's ok and what is not will always be the best way - you wouldn't even have to have a discussion like this.

Mission

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 03:56:44 AM »
Then it seems obvious to set flagmustbeatbase to 1, duh.
edit- richard beat me to it by 2 seconds lol
Also this makes me think, can teams pick different gamemodes in matches? Me and JMR played KOTH vs a few a while back and everybody got annoyed by it, but I think KOTH is a perfectly good competitive gamemode. I might make a koth tournament. (with respawns ofcourse)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 07:01:17 AM »
If you don't want cap trading, set "flagmustbeatbase" on the server. No crying, no discussing, it's a simple game decision whether a cap was according to the rules or not and you can't "break" the rules. Just letting the game decide what's ok and what is not will always be the best way - you wouldn't even have to have a discussion like this.
Most server renting used to be done in team channels on IRC, so you never could change some of these settings before playing, so they had to be in agreement with the other player.  However I do agree that if the renting tool does allow modification of these settings then no agreements should be required.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
just follow what i said and thing will be fine, if you want to OCD go change all the server rules for a darn 1v1, do it but most people wont stick around to wait 20 mins for you to figure it all out. and yea most NA servers you couldn't change those rules.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
Every NA player knows this rule... Keep it coming guys!!

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
Was never used in EU, at least I don't recall it.

First time I was introduced to this rule was against shk on airtime in 1v1. We played air without caps and the rest with caps and that was like 1-2 years ago.

Also, what about maps like shock? Shock is pretty good map for 1v1, yet capping there is pretty much crucial and adds cool dynamic to the map.

If you want rules which differ to the server settings, you should say so. Just because you think these 'ideas' should be followed as rules don't make them rules. I guess some people 'agreed' on them, but they were never accepted, because I have never seen them written anywhere. That means you can decide on them, but can't use them as an argument if they are broken.

PS:If they are actually written somewhere in the forums as a verified post then I apologize for being wrong.

xrichardx

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:02 AM »
Still waiting for toxic to post his "official pb2 rules link" where it says that capping is not allowed in 1v1s like he announced it but that's probably not going to happen.

aborted

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
Still waiting for toxic to post his "official pb2 rules link" where it says that capping is not allowed in 1v1s like he announced it but that's probably not going to happen.
Yes, I wanna see this as well.

Just because you think these 'ideas' should be followed as rules don't make them rules. I guess some people 'agreed' on them, but they were never accepted

flamer

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »
Honestly thought everyone knew how to properly 1v1, There's a lot of newer players so i guess we can try to let everyone know of what rules the community agrees on. This is how it's been since way back when.

2) In 1v1s you don't trade at all period. Trading results in map restart.

Never heard of that.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »
del all