Poll

Do you want a website for scrimming?

Yes
5 (55.6%)
No
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 14, 2016, 09:26:51 AM

Author Topic: Do you want a website for scrimming?  (Read 1471 times)

mRokita

• Autococker
Do you want a website for scrimming?
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:26:51 AM »
It would contain some chat, maybe integrated with IRC (it wouldn't make you use IRC), option to scrim a match (specify 2v2, 3v3 etc) and sound/desktop notifications for all people looking for a match at the moment.
"looking for a match" status would be canceled when you close your browser/PC or click cancel button.
It would also contain a form to rent ANY of the DP match servers.
@ic3y with a good captcha of course ;)

Notifications would use this API https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/notification.
It works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

At least 10 votes for "Yes" to make me write it.

mRokita

• Autococker
Re: Do you want a website for scrimming?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »
There are 3 votes for "No" - do you have aby good reasons for voting or you simply hate myself?

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
A website for scrimming - I would vote no for (I haven't voted on your vote, though).

Dplogin.com tab for scrimming - I would vote yes for.

If we want to use some other website etc.. then there's no difference between that and mIRC, or Skype. However, Skype is widely used by everyone becoming convenient (it'd be open/on regardless of DP, so having a chat to see "LF 3v3" adds convenience even if it lacks the tools) -- and mIRC has all the tools just less convenience and popularity. A browser that isn't a tab in dplogin.com has the same problems of IRC in terms of convenience, and at best has the same benefits as IRC.

The only way for this to be efficient is to make it right in Dplogin - but then Jitspoe will likely reply with "we have a chat tab that automatically connects you to #paintball, what's the difference"

The best solution would be a "newer" / "nicer" app that is a tab on this website which sets up matches. It can have 3 tabs within this app. 1 "Matches" (nobody is able to 'talk' here, it is something command based where only !scrim 3v3 yes/no and !accept ID# **each scrim req gets a unique ID number) --- 2 "Support" (basically what #paintball is, when you have the tab open looking for a match you can hit other tabs and help any new players) -- 3 "PM's" - private messages to set up the match once it has been found. 

---> Now, this is essentially what IRC has except less customization once created, but more customizable in creation to make it a nicer / more appealing app. Though I do not know much about coding, the fact that it would be so simple, require no "independent channels" or customization (like IRC topics) and everything would be pre-set, would this not be easier than IRC to incorporate into DP2 client main screen? I mean, if it was accessible via website and via in game, was simple like Skype, had the utility of IRC, and was not customizable so it actually made sense to be in the game client itself, then it would be worthwhile.

Until something like I mentioned above is created, IRC and Skype are superior to a separate web browser.

mRokita

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
A website for scrimming - I would vote no for (I haven't voted on your vote, though).
Dplogin.com tab for scrimming - I would vote yes for.
I will talk to jitspoe