Author Topic: The Mesas  (Read 6310 times)

SmackWaters

• VM-68
The Mesas
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:01:44 PM »
ok, i have been making maps for some time, maybe a few months. im not that experienced of a mapper, but i decided it was time to start posting my maps on here, getting feedback etc. so here is the map me and Soggy Waffles if you know him are currently working on, the mesas. it isnt finished yet, of course, no lighting yet, and the terrain isnt done. it supports ctf/elim mode, and the 2 mesas are going to serve as bases. The main problem i'm having is making plants/cactus etc. i know there is a way you can make models but i dont know how...  :-\ Can someone tell me how you would make models to put in your map? because making them out of cylinders isnt working very well...  i plan to work on lighting last, so it doesnt take so long to complile every time. also, how can you make the sky light your map? ???
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:23:18 PM by SWSmackWaters »

SmackWaters

• VM-68
Re: The Mesas
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:25:42 PM »
since no one seems to be posting, i'll post a shot to show what i have so far aka the layout. i know the mesas don't look so great, and there is no terrain, but i plan on adding models and dunes and stuff. i was thinking of removing the road (was soggywaffles's idea) cuz i think it kind of ruins the desert theme. i think im gonna try making models using milkshape. and terrain using gensurf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:25:21 PM by SWSmackWaters »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
You're going to want to align the textures correctly on those rock pillars. Also, could you give us a sense of how big it is? Like, take a picture from the ground. Also without noclip.

Other than that, it looks pretty bland at the moment. I can see how it could be decent, but it would require a ton of work on the terrain.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:44:34 PM »
Wow, Eiii made a positive post :o

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »
Well helpful at least. No you are right it was not negetive thus....and he is correct alot more work needs to be done.  Keep trying andlfollow any detailed helpful hints regarding maping.  and let players play it to see what you might have missed. What kind of weapons and will you auto spawn equipment?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
Since when is positive required? I made some reccomendations.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »
Ok, ill rephrase ;)
Wow, Eiii didnt use the words "suck", "worse map" and "ugly" in the same sentence.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:11:40 PM »
ok, for the spawns, i'm planning low level weapons at the most, such as trracers, brass barrels, 7oz co2, 100hopper/paintballs. maybe spawn with nothing and collect items as you go. i'm planning on making a second version, using gensurf for terrain, seeing as the terrain for this map is completely flat. unless there is a way you can take brushes from other .map files and put them into this one, so i wouldnt have to make everything over  :P . i'm thinking lots of little dunes/pits. and maybe a few rocks for barriers. like i said, i am thinking of removing the road. anyways, here are more pics, as requested

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 06:19:49 PM »
it looks sweet, you should make a devil's tower map  :-)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »
You can jsut make your own terrain, but if you want to copy terrain from other maps, just use a bsp decompiler.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:46:51 PM by IronFist »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
Dude, I've never seen 'em like that, but I think that might be a good thing...for how warm the colors of the map look, the shape of it makes it look like its freezing, lol.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:08:14 AM »
Aha, so you can go IN the towers... that makes things a bit more interesting, but it looks like you can shoot from the entrance of one to the other. Like I said, looooots of terrain work. Terrain that'll block- which might not even work. I suggest you move away from box maps completely.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:56:38 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:34:49 AM by Dirty_Taco »

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:53:32 AM »
I know this isn't constructive.

Did you make two giant boobies?

Sorry, it was the first thing that came to mind when the thread popped up :/

;D wtf lol only u would think of that

Aha, so you can go IN the towers... that makes things a bit more interesting, but it looks like you can shoot from the entrance of one to the other.

the entrances of the mesas are on the sides of the mesas, to prevent this  :) of course, a lot more terrain work is going to be done, this is simply a "rough draft", i am probably going to start this map over in more of a u-shape, as you said, not a box map

i forgot to say, this is one of the 2 maps i am currently working on, i am also working on another map called waterlogged. I work on waterlogged when i get bored of mesas which has been pretty often lately   :-[  :P . basically its like a flooded warehouse. can anyone tell me if the name "waterlogged" has been used before, i dont want to copy anyone.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:30:35 PM by SWSmackWaters »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 04:54:31 PM »
Nice job. Weapons?

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
WHAT THE SAM HILL SMACKWATERS?????
errrrr. .  .thats nowhere near what was planned, there should be several mesas all over the place, not one big one!!!!!

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »
I know this isn't constructive.

Did you make two giant boobies?

Sorry, it was the first thing that came to mind when the thread popped up :/

;D wtf lol only u would think of that

Aha, so you can go IN the towers... that makes things a bit more interesting, but it looks like you can shoot from the entrance of one to the other.

the entrances of the mesas are on the sides of the mesas, to prevent this  :) of course, a lot more terrain work is going to be done, this is simply a "rough draft", i am probably going to start this map over in more of a u-shape, as you said, not a box map

i forgot to say, this is one of the 2 maps i am currently working on, i am also working on another map called waterlogged. I work on waterlogged when i get bored of mesas which has been pretty often lately   :-[  :P . basically its like a flooded warehouse. can anyone tell me if the name "waterlogged" has been used before, i dont want to copy anyone.

okay, if those are boobs its gonna be a cold map

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »
looks alright, needs a lil work though

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 01:30:27 PM »
You're probably going to have a lot of trouble compiling that.  VIS and RAD do not work well with large, open maps.  The easiest way to fix the alignment on the giant nipples would bo to just make the cone-shaped brush steeper, then it will align the textures on the same axis as the cylinders.  Also, as DT suggested, you're going to need to scale the textures up.  It probably won't even fully compile as it stands now.  Scaling textures up lets you compile larger, open areas and also makes the tiling less noticeable.