Author Topic: WIP / Concept test: centerhill KOTH alpha 01  (Read 541 times)

Toolwut

• Stingray
WIP / Concept test: centerhill KOTH alpha 01
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
Always thought this game needs more (and at some point hopefully good) KOTH maps, this is my first attempt. Couldn't actually playtest it yet so I'm eager for feedback.

2 teams, stingray, spawns are on bottom of hill/mountain, hill obviously on top of it.

Idea was to have a layout similar to stack but where holding the hill is more complicated (maybe too complicated: hill isn't all of the hilltop, more ammo only further down, additional walls to block visibility + you have a stingray).  Ideally I'd want this to be dynamic, hill possession often changes and noobs can enjoy a low skill ceiling.

Also released the .map file, you can do with it whatever you want.

The map is my very first try on koth, I'll try again later in the future :p

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: WIP / Concept test: centerhill KOTH alpha 01
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
From the screenshots it looks like you should have a bit of a play with the sky settings, it looks very uniformly lit and adding a slight angle to the sunlight may make the map look a bit better (it looks very uniformly lit).

Here are some settings that are within the help section of bsp, although I think it's suggested not to use the diffuse setting? Not sure.

Code: [Select]
When using ArghRad (http://www.planetquake.com/arghrad/)
you can use a sun to light maps with sky.
These settings work well with the riverscape1 sky:
"_sun_angle" "200 -30"
"_sun_diffuse" "60"
"_sun_ambient" "30"
"_sun_light" "250"

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: WIP / Concept test: centerhill KOTH alpha 01
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
Will give it a go during Social Saturday and provide feedback on gameplay.

First impressions:
- Very blocky.
- Crate texture doesn't make sense for a balcony type thing.
- Could use an indicator for where the hill is, since it doesn't cover that whole area.
- Maybe provide a bit more room for the climbing (especially near the top) so you can focus on the players on the hill and not  falling off the ramp (this is a big problem I've noticed with stack -- so focused on climbing the hill only to get shot because you're looking at where the ramp/ledge/whatever is instead of toward the hill).