Author Topic: ROCK Lite  (Read 6734 times)

bug

• 68 Carbine
ROCK Lite
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:37:23 AM »
Yes folks, ROCK is back.

After one too many long weeks of realizing that I still hadn't even started on the behemothian job of renovating and setting up ROCK on Dajoob's servers, I realized, 'What the crap?! Why do I have all this random junk? All people want is to take my maps!'

With that stunning realization, I scratched up a quick 'n' dirty new version of ROCK -> ROCK Lite! It has a very nice point-click interface. Just pick the map, and click download.

Please test it out, and leave me some feedback.
http://rockon.dajoob.com

-Bug

P.S.
You can type the first character of the map you'd like (while the list is open) and it will spin through all maps starting with that letter.

P.S.
The syntax for opening a map is
http://rockon.dajoob.com/?MAPNAME

You can use it either with or without .BSP on the end. If you want to directly download a map without seeing the first page with hash info/etc, just add &download or &pancakes or &whatever to the ?MAPNAME part. Ex:

http://rockon.dajoob.com/?palace.bsp&waffles

One more thing to note, if a mapname contains special characters (! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) etc), they must be 'urlencoded' or have special characters replaced with encoded counterparts. Ex:

http://rockon.dajoob.com/?#toxin#weird
becomes
http://rockon.dajoob.com/?%23toxin%23weird
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:24:11 AM by bug »

lekky

• Autococker
Re: ROCK Lite
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:43:58 AM »
it would be better if the list was in alphabetical order :P

AgentSmith

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:16:13 AM »
I totally agree!

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:46:01 AM »
I like the layout a lot, quick and to the point. But I too put in a vote for it to be alphabetical.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:55 AM »
Alphabetized!

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »
dajoob is crap for downloading or anything... pay 2$ a month for some hosting

you're missing some maps. like pbcup_renior

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:26:09 AM »
dajoob is crap for downloading or anything... pay 2$ a month for some hosting

Thanks for your opinion, but there are those who pay for hosting and make crap websites, and those who use free hosting and make good websites.

Guess which one you are? ;)

Also, I know I am missing some maps. I've finished the map pack upload, but I still haven't finished uploading all the individual maps. Patience, padowan.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
well, i have someone paying for it for me and im just getting to use it.

If you wernt a total detective i would give you some, but w/e.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
Bug, don't mess with Smokey, he's leet. You should actually be listening/learning from him, and yeah, dajoob's like 100kbs upload really killed the site, didn't notice that until I tried to download the packs later on. It'd be nice to have someone be gracious enough to just make an open directory of maps and get it thrown up on some box that has decent upload so it doesn't take so long for people to download em.
* TinMan sighs

Also bug, add these: http://files.filefront.com/mapszip/;5223627;;/fileinfo.html
might wanna pick through them a little though, some honestly aren't good maps, and some are q2 ones that just don't work well in dpball.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:42 PM »
I'll stick with dpball.com/files/maps.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
I would, but it lacks many good ones.
Bug, may I also recommend adding mapinfo files, I never have any of them...

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »
Gah, Tinman, you sadistic freak! I spent an hour and a half downloading that beast and it only gave me about 5 new maps. Grrr...

As for a faster download point than Dajoob, the Maps pack now has... dun dun dun... A TORRENT set up for it! It'd be nice if someone would try it and make sure it works. I'll try and be seeding today.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 01:53:06 PM »
w00t! torrent! GJ

P.S. you might wanna modify your sig to reflect the new ROCK

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »
Ooh right, thanks, I forgot about my sig, hehe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »
I would, but it lacks many good ones.
Such as?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 05:02:33 PM »
Airtime is the main one, airtime2 sucks big, why isn't airtime on there? its WAY better.
dpball.com/files/maps also lacks media files for the maps (e.g. cosmic3), which is why its very nice of Bug to host those files.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 05:57:54 PM »
Airtime had messed up lighting, misaligned textures, and glitches where you could see through walls.  Airtime2 fixed these problems and added a little more.  I don't really see any sense in keeping the old one.  I'm pretty sure the media files for cosmic3 are in the appropriate directories (ie: http://dpball.com/files/textures/sin/).

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
ah, thanks for the textures, would have been easier if they were packaged though.
Also, I hated airtime2's lighting more, on one of the computers I play dpball on (with an ATI) the map would be completely dark at almost all locations (video card's fault I assume), airtime2 also has clutter everywhere that ruins the openness of the map, not to mention that there's a ladder on the wall for people (who can't jump/strafe) to be able to get up to the top, which at least required some little skill in airtime. Also the transparent wall made the map more interesting, you could see the area around the flag, it was sort of like the mirror things on other maps, just not intentional. (I don't think)

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:59 PM »

Thanks for your opinion, but there are those who pay for hosting and make crap websites, and those who use free hosting and make good websites.
Unfortunately for you, you don't pay for hosting, and still make crap websites.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 08:12:21 PM »
Unfortunately for you, you don't pay for hosting, and still make crap websites.

...Quoth the only person moronic enough to hack and still try to use the 'it was my brother' line.