Author Topic: Sick of Those Painty Numbers? Look No Further...  (Read 9903 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Sick of Those Painty Numbers? Look No Further...
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 12:15:53 PM »
I would think so... depending on the colors used to make the gun, a person could make them bright thus making other players more visible that are holding them.

But it'd have to be the carbine. ;)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 12:28:28 PM »
 ??? HuH?? It would be any gun, or any object within the playing field...

Hey on another note wouldn't it be nice if we were allowed to use custom player skins, clan skins and custom models.  I used to love all the different players skins in Quake 2.  I still have a huge collection of them.

In real paintball the people playing are certainly NOT wearing the same outfit and they certainly are NOT all the same size. 

Nothin like the old Crakhor skins!!

Hahaha  I just got this sick visual of paint splattering one of those old nekkid crakhors ;D  Okay Okay I know... Perverted huh? hehehe   ;D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 12:47:12 PM »
??? HuH?? It would be any gun, or any object within the playing field...

Heh, I was just making fun of the fact that players can only be seen holding the carbine. You did say color the gun to make the player more visible, after all.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »
You have a point... what  do you think about the latter part of what I'm saying?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2006, 01:00:30 PM »
Modifying textures is cheating? I agree.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2006, 02:36:15 PM »
Agreed, but I was asking what you thought about how neat it would be if we could use other custom player models.  There were hundreds of different player models for Q2 in the day and some were so hilereous.  It really made the game fun IMHO.

We could make a server that allows other player models and keep the others as they are.  It would be neat to see other clans create their own team uniforms...

Just a thought :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2006, 02:41:39 PM »
Vote for it when I poll requests for the next build.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2006, 02:43:10 PM »
I think it'd be better if you could only change certain colors/decals on the supported skin- otherwise someone could make themselves all black.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2006, 03:59:35 PM »
Yeah there was also the notorious black skinned model in Quake 2.

Maybe there could be a way to screen the skins as they are created by posting them on this forum in a special section or have a designated person judge them.  Skins or models that are that extreme and obviously made to make the person almost impossible to see would be illegal.  It could be a rule that clan's [TAG]s be in bright colors for the clan models.

As in any idea there are those that may choose to exploit it's originally intended purpose.

I keep referring to the many old Q2 models that were out there but there was some awesome talent in a lot of them and it really made what had become an otherwise dull game, fun again.

I'm curious if the player skins option was turned on the servers if any of the old Q2 player models would still work?  Probably not but it would be nice! LOL

Again, we could have servers that allow modified player skins and those that don't.

I am a firm believer in offering a variety of ways to play the game.   8)

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »
I don't think the current models are too bad, as it is very easy to distinguish between the colors and thus the teams. Allowing personalized models would only be good in DM mode I think, and I'm not completely sure, but didnt the CTF/TDM models have team specific colors as well in the quake series?

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
When people made player models for Q2, they included all colors used in the game so on CTF/TDM games the model, no matter what the model was of, would have it's team colors IE: yellow, red, blue, purple.

Also, keep in mind this idea is in no way meant to down the current player models of DP.

It is simply to add something new to the game and give users another option of how they would like to play...

Hence servers that allow people to display their creative custom skins/models and regular servers that use only the standard models.

Also, remember that if you don't have the skin that someone else in the game is using then you would see the standard model... In Q2 it was the GRUNT.  So there would need to be a place to upload skins which brings me to another thought.

We also need a place where people can login into a site and upload maps or player skins, have them reviewed and others could have the ability to login to the site and download these items. 

Dang I'm brainstorming today!!  :o

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2006, 08:06:17 PM »
No Way.. I can't make heads or tails out of that page because some German popup poo keeps popping up in front of it... 

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 08:31:44 PM »
Vote for it when I poll requests for the next build.
Consider it voted on. Yes. With restrictions

QED

• Stingray
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 09:55:07 PM »
I like the new numbers in the HUD.  Might mess a bit with the color though.

Squeekers

• PGP
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 05:57:02 PM »
great job tom i liek the small blue ones...

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
Tommy V you ever gonna do my original request?

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2006, 06:13:58 AM »
Spook, let me tell you a story about a person named.. NO.

Lol just kidding :) I have been busy with soccer, so yeah i'll find some time to do it later. blue on the outside white in the middle.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2006, 08:20:43 AM »
I'm really amazed that none of you think being able to see your score or ammo better than the next person is not considered an unfair advantage, however small of one it may be. Ammo and score are crucial items that can make or break a close match.

Just the split second it takes to have to squint to see the score, verses seeing you scroe easily because you have these gleaming neon numbers that a blind man could see through the back of his head, could make a difference. Out of the corner of my eye my neon numbers tell me I must cap being down by 3 instead of kill...I don't have to make an effort to look over there, the numbers are bright enough to see easily out of the corner of my eye.

Say i've been in a recent fight. Recon tells me more are coming my way. I'm thinking fast on getting into position to have an advantage. My gleaming numbers tell me i'm down to 20 paintballs...MOTHER OF GOD...I better create more distance between me and the incoming enemy so I can reload some paintballs.

There is no denying it's an unfair advantage. It may seem like an insignificant one to all of you, but it is one, none the less. More so than custom crosshairs, which are also.

You can deny it all you want. Or brush it off, or turn you back to it, but it is an unfair advantage. I'll use them, hell yeah. They're the same as any other skin/model modification to me. I'll use them all and still suck, but that's beyond the point.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
I'll have a double of what he's drinkin!!   ::)