Author Topic: IRC/FORUM Ettique (Please read)  (Read 1658 times)

supertanker

• VM-68
IRC/FORUM Ettique (Please read)
« on: August 28, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »
For all of the new members of the DPBALL community, I made this little ettique list. Enjoy.

http://paintball.levelzone.net/?q=node/22

Spook

• Autococker
Re: IRC/FORUM Ettique (Please read)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:55:53 PM »
ehhh i guess it will kinda help but ive broken most of those :/

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 10:26:30 PM »
since when is smokey an op in #paintball, and why would you tell people to ask him for channel assistance if you've already stated before that he is ignorant and should be ignored?  I think you've just become a hypocrit (sp?) and should really consdier following your own rules.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:06 AM »
way to give drupal the credit that it deserves.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »
When posting on the forums, please observe and follow these rules:

1. Try not to TYPE IN ALL CAPS or TypE iN lEttERs LiKE thIs, that just pisses people off. Take time, check your spelling, make sure you are asking an intelligible question. There have been users who just type on and on with run-in sentances, which are harder to read on a webpage than you might think. These users are generally ignored.

2. Make good topics. Topics like "help me plz need mapping help" are bad. Topics like "How do you align textures" are good.

3. If you are relying on input from users at the forum (which isn't a bad thing) ignore input from users "Cobo" and "Smokey". These users generally have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to mapping and like to piss off new users.

When posting on IRC:

1. As noted above, ignore Cobo and Smokey, and don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS.

2. Don't ask your question 14 times in a row. That just pisses people off. If nobody answers, it may be nobody is there at the moment.

3. Be patient for a response. People aren't in front of their machines 24/7

4. Don't get in a flame war or argument. If someone insults you, just let it drop. Or use the /ignore command (most IRC clients have a help file for using it, if not type "/help ignore" or "/help ignore" without the quotes and see if it pops up.

5. Don't piss off the Operators. Refer to the operator KnacK as "Him" or "God".

6. Don't break any rules while the IRC operators aren't there. Usually, they are, even if they don't post.

7. Don't ask for Op status. You will likely get banned.

8. Don't try to get around a ban. Usually they terminate in a few minutes/hours/days. If it has been a week or so, try asking one of the channel ops nicely to be let in. The ops are (if they are there), KnacK, Smokey, Jitspoe, Sprinkle, and occasionally WooWoo

9. There are a couple of protective scripts in place in the #paintball channel. Do not, even if someone tells you, do any of the following:

A. Type anything 4 times in a row (on seperate lines). This results in a temporary flood protection ban.
B. Type anything with the phraser ".mp3" in it. This includes mp3 filenames, etc. It's okay just to say mp3, if you don't put a period in. Strangely, a period at the end of a sentance triggers this too. This temp-bans you to protect against MP3 scripts (scripts that list what you are playing and flood the channel)
C. Do not, under any circumstancse, type "team_cc". This was made to stop advertising. It is okay without the underscore. Also a temp-ban.

hmmmm

Where do I begin.

First, get my name off of this please.

Second, get CoBo and Smokey's name off of this.

Third, you need t ofollow your own rules that you created:
4. Don't get in a flame war or argument. If someone insults you, just let it drop. Or use the /ignore command (most IRC clients have a help file for using it, if not type "/help ignore" or "/help ignore" without the quotes and see if it pops up.

You have quite the guts to post this as you aren't scoring any kind of points with anybody.  This comes across as being very c0cky and I would think very hard about what you posted and how you act on irc.  

IRC is a community.  Yes, we have our own little spats but for the msot part we have a great time.  Joking, playing, getting !taxi'd, it's all part of life on IRC.

Most of us have been on irc since this network was formed before 2000 so we do have a history.

Just thought I would fill in some blanks.

For those that post after me, please no flames.....

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:31:49 AM »
Okay, it has been edited. KnacK, I thought you liked being god.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
thank you