Author Topic: A finished map, but still under construcion  (Read 10445 times)

SmackWaters

• VM-68
A finished map, but still under construcion
« on: September 02, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
sorry for the cheesy title.  :) anyways, my next map is, of course, construction. my main aim for this map was to focus on "breaking from the boxy maps" that i'm used to. And making terrain. Well it's sort of like two box maps merged together but whatever. The theme of this map is it's supposed to look like it's still under construction. it's a pretty fast action map, i was going for a pbcliffs/brainstorm feel, i of course need to add more routes, but i thought i would release a beta version first, to start getting some ideas. and yes i did download those new numbers

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5df77a/

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: A finished map, but still under construcion
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
Nice map, I liked it.
You did a good job on the walls and in the detail.
But there seems to be a very big problem... r_speeds.
I was hitting about 3000 r_speeds in some places :X and when i wasnt getting 3000 I was getting 1000.
Other than that, its a nice map.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 06:55:21 AM »
Ok, i have put together a beta version 2. New routes behind the bases, and the underground passage has 2 more entrances. Only one problem: vismap expansion overflow. :'( could anyone maybe take a look at it and see what i need to fix? I tried everything, adding new walls, doors, closing the grids in the river, nothing seems to work. Here is the map file if someone could please check it out. I really want to get this to work, it would make it about ten times cooler now that there is more than one route between the bases. Also, some shots. Note: i couldn't vis this map, so the shots are unlighted  :P One more thing that's driving me crazy: WTH is a leafportal?? Every time i vis, along with expansion overflow, i get Warning: Leafportals saw into Leaf (###) or something like that. could that be another problem?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:26:41 AM by SMAcKWATErS »

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
Not really sure, but I think its a leak.
Search the forums, Im sure you'll find something.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 08:26:34 PM »
That's definitely not a leak. I believe that means that your VIS data is too large. It looks like it would be, too, that's a very open map. Try detail brushes at the doorways, and detail everything that doesn't block the player's sight significantly.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »
Im a noob :(

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »
but i enjoy your lessons on how to map, im learning pretty fast

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »
a leaf has a bad portal that thinks it can see itself. Solution: go to the area named, look a the walls and floors, and see if they can be made more right-angled. Sometimes a HINT/SKIP brush across the area can help.
http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/faq.htm

Caused by having too complex a brush--too many sides, weird angles. To fix, clip it in to 2 seperate ones, and or delete it and start over. This brush shouldn't be too hard to find, unless you have tons of complicated geometry in your map, and in that case, you've got bigger problems!
http://twhl.co.za/tutorial.php?id=107

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:9MUwXLRi96AJ:www.gamedesign.net/node/266%3FPHPSESSID%3D71381477caa5798035ee032406582524+leaf+portals+saw+into+leaf+quake&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&client=opera
(cached version of http://www.gamedesign.net/node/266 -- seems gamedesign.net is screwed up right now).

Basic summary: This error is caused when a leaf can see into itself, which should be impossible, but may happen due to either a bug in the compiler or screwed up geometry (ie: using csg subtraction a lot and other bad mapping practices).

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »
what is this detail thing, what does it do?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 02:26:44 PM »
In laymans terms, it makes vis ignore the brush and results in faster compile times but higher polygon counts.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 03:21:46 PM »
Though the 'higher polygon counts' are unnoticable if you detail something tiny, like a barrel. Detailing a wall of barrels, however, will be noticable.

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 02:31:18 PM »
Very interesting map here. I still like it though.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 02:34:17 PM »
Ok... I'm sorry but that made no sence to me :P

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 02:40:11 PM »
lol what he means is he usually doesnt like interesting maps?  :-\  ;) anyways, the detail seems to work, it compiles no error now, :D i'm gonna fix a few small detailing problems, and release a second beta version  8)

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
wassap

i'm back with beta version 2~

changes i made:
- removed grid from river to allow for more open gameplay.
- added more routes behind the base
- expanded the underground digs
- added more signs for easier navigation between the bases  :)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/468fda/

please post more comments, i'd like to know what more i can add to this map!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:39:22 PM by SMAcKWATErS »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 06:52:46 PM »
http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/construction_bv2.bsp -- the place you hosted it had so many ads I almost couldn't find the download link, so I mirrored it here.  I also have it in rotation on the EV1 beta server.

- The cones around the flag are kind of annoying.  They're easy to get stuck on, which could be really frustrating.  At the very least, space them out a little and/or make them smaller.  Possibly set the "mist" flag on them so they can be walked through.
- There's a set of water (underground) which isn't transparent, causing the lighting underneath it to be all black -- you should set the trans flag on it.
- The particles look weird.
- You need to work on your texture alignment, and wood textures should always run along the length of the board (rotate the textures on the bridge planks 90 degrees, for example).
- The layout looks a lot better than before.  It has potential.
- Some of the structures are kind of weird and unrealistic.  You might want to take a look at some real scaffolding or other things seen at a construction site for inspiration.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »
what do you mean by, the particles look weird? also, i will try to fix the things you mentioned.  :)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 02:56:02 PM »
I think he is talking about those water-like (not sure what they are) particles on the underground.

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »
There are water like particles on the ground. And i didnt say that i dislike interesting maps.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2dabec/

beta version 3, here are the changes i made:

- cones are now mist.
- white flag in 1 flag mode now has a 'base' on the center bridge (doesnt really make a difference, just looks cooler)
- removed underground particles.
- fixed underground water
- lowered windows slightly in the barriers, so it's easier to shoot out of them
- aligned textures on bridge
- added more weapon, barrel, and hopper spawns
- fixed "burnt out" light underground

enjoy!

P.S.

I know it was an innocent mistake, but it sounded like you were saying "Even though this map is interesting, i still like it."

therefore we deduced that you don't normally like interesting maps.