Author Topic: A finished map, but still under construcion  (Read 10442 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: A finished map, but still under construcion
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 05:09:23 PM »
http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/construction_bv3.bsp

Swapping it in rotation on the beta server.

Edit: I noticed the r_speeds are really high for the amount of detail in the map.  Did you do a full vis on this or just a fast vis?  If it was a full vis, just how much did you detail?  None of the main walls, I hope.  Using gl_showtris 1, it seems the majority of the map is visible from any location -- even some of the underground areas!  You might be able to improve this by using hint brushes around all of your openings to help vis divide the map up better.  You might also try offsetting some of the openings so that you don't have a view clear across the map.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
I know this would be kind of hard, but I would like to see those underground walls more "natural".

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 05:21:47 PM »
yeah, i will probably put that in beta version 4, i think it's a little odd that people could dig perfectly square. actually, i don't think it would be that hard.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/construction_bv3.bsp

Swapping it in rotation on the beta server.

Edit: I noticed the r_speeds are really high for the amount of detail in the map.  Did you do a full vis on this or just a fast vis?  If it was a full vis, just how much did you detail?  None of the main walls, I hope.  Using gl_showtris 1, it seems the majority of the map is visible from any location -- even some of the underground areas!  You might be able to improve this by using hint brushes around all of your openings to help vis divide the map up better.  You might also try offsetting some of the openings so that you don't have a view clear across the map.

i realized that i only fast vised the map. would full vis fix this?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 03:14:09 PM »
It should certainly help.  Adding some hint brushes should also help.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 09:18:52 PM »
how exactly would i use these hint burshes? you mention placing them around openings. by that, do you mean the doorways between the sections, as well as the doorways to the underground?

vis takes as long as hell to compile, will this make it faster? it was like 1. . .2. . .3. . .4. . .5. . ._ stayed on 5 for like an hour.

[edit] ok... since no one replied i made (yes i know) a sad attempt at hint brushes. I also misaligned the doors a little, maybe it would help  :P. i also added some more paintball spawns.  :) anyways, here is the beta version 4 of construction.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/66dd41/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:19:20 PM by SMAcKWATErS »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »
If you're making a large (especially open) map, you'd better get used to long VIS and RAD compile times.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »
yeah, i wish there was a faster way to do it without reducing the quality

by the way, that gl_showtris thing doesnt seem to work.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 02:29:05 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:40:44 PM by IronFist »

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »
that was a joke right

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »
It doesn't work in multiplayer.  Type "deathmatch 0" at the console before loading the map.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »
beta version 5. new building, ramp, fixed a few things and added a few more things. also supports elim mode now. Fun!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/d23017/

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »
Lookin great...  played this one this morning on the beta test server I believe or the prior version... fast and fun.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
Did you add the hint brushes and do a full vis?  It still looks like some areas are visible that shouldn't be when showtris is enabled.  In the screenshot below, for example, the underground area should be completely cut off from just about everything, yet it still shows up, and while you're inside of it, you can see other parts of the map that are completely out of view.  Try putting a hint brush in the opening, something like this:

Code: [Select]
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|         |
|_________|
| (water) |
|_________|

Also make sure you don't have any major structures detailed -- walls and such.  I think the archways along the water are causing a lot of vis problems, too, as you can see through the whole map from there.  If you closed those up a bit or added some solid structures to block the view, it would probably help things a lot.

Being nitpicky, there are still quite a few texture alignment opportunities.  The light in the screenshot for example...  Also, the wood grain should always go along the length of boards.  You fixed the tops of some of them, but the sides are wrong, and there are a bunch of boards stacked up in the bases that have the grain going along the short side.  It just looks weird.  It would look better to angle the textures on the side of the ramp boards, too.

The new version is up in rotation on the beta server: paintball2://216.127.68.86:27919

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2006, 02:21:47 PM »
Z0MG!2!@!21@1#!2!ZAT W4Z A L0NG C0MP1L3!!@!@@#@32!!@1212!@!@!@!@@ONE!@!@1!!2

~construction beta version 6~!

thats right, i finally waited out the long compile, (just under an hour and a half) i thought it was gonna be longer. the result is beta version 6, a much less laggy version. However, besides compiling, i also added several more things...

- Revised arch over river, it is now a smaller door instead of a large arch so you can't see the whole map from there.
- the new building from the last beta version now serves a purpose: you can now enter the stone wall from the back door of the house. A quick route to the center, or to the base
-fixed various texture alignment problems

here is the new link:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/846dd8/
and some shots:

(#1) I fixed the alignment on the lights
(#2) New path inside the wall
(#3)One of the laggyest places on the map is reduced to just over 1700 wpolys (previously over 4000  :o)
(#4)Revised river

P.S. The reason the numbers are painty again is because i took the screenshots on my computer instead of my parents' (mine doesnt have internet)  :'(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:02:14 PM by SmackWaters »

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2006, 04:08:49 PM »
I like the map more and more :D

The  Riverway is better in bv6, but i think it can be closed completely or put there the lattice form bv1. Thats the best, i think. And what is with the endings of the river? In bv1 there are cool, but now ?

And a missing texture:

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
oh that's just a shadow. and about the ends of the river, the other ones caused too much lag.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2006, 06:20:48 PM »
The r_speeds are much better now.  I generally just do full map compiles overnight so I don't have to wait for them to finish.  Sometimes they take a while.  The epoly (entity polygon count) is still kind of high, though.  You might want to see about reducing the number of entities visible in one area.

The light alignment is better, but it's still off.  It might be really noticeable with high res textures.  Rather than try to eyeball it, it's best to just use a grid size that matches the texture (either 8 or 16), align the brush on the grid, and you won't even have to do any texture manipulation (just use the 1.0 scale and 0 offset).  If the brush isn't exactly where you want, you can lock the texture (alt-l) and move it.

Now on to more nitpicky stuff:
- Less_Laggy.JPG: The textures on the pile of boards and 2 sides of the blue base need to be rotated (same on the red side).
- The sides of the piles of 3 boards (the ones with the angled ends) need to be rotated.
- The sides of the top of the bridge in the base need to be rotated.
- The brushes in the water passage are slightly misaligned (see screenshot) and stick out about an inch -- enough to get stuck on.  You should always use a reasonably sized grid so this type of thing doesn't happen.  It increases polygon counts and is frustrating for the players who get stuck.

Once again, I have it up on the beta server if anybody wants to play test it.  I've also uploaded it to http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 02:59:03 PM »
This should be the final version, unless there's something i seriously have to change. and not texture alignment.  :P

First of all, download construction_final_play if you intend to play the level only.

If you want to edit the level in bsp or whatever, download construction_final_full.

and if you want to try a random level i made that actually kind of sucks, get crush.

Have fun! I'm gonna post some screenshots.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 04:27:30 PM by SmackWaters »

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »
Do you wish for this map to be ran on the servers??  If so, then why don't you name the map construction.bsp instead of construction_thisisthelastone_Imeanit_itreallyisthe_FINAL.bsp... Same thing with outdoorz2.