Author Topic: Improving the Community  (Read 15617 times)

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
Re: Improving the Community
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
It's hard to edit/remove posts fast when there is only one moderator.

I know there is only an extremely low percentage of people on these forums that could even be considered as a mod, there needs to be mods for each section/sub-section of the forums. They keep their own sub-section neat and tidy, so that jitspoe doesn't have to be going to everything and doing it all himself.

Even just giving 2 or 3 others mod jobs I can guarentee this will help.

MeRL

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 09:45:43 PM »
I agree with what you fellas have been saying about additional moderators however choose wisely if it does come down to this. Someone who hasn't been involved in any serious war of words.. (to our knowledge) and someone who may not hold a grudge.
In other words, I would NOT be a good moderator because I have something against the amount of useless and childish posts that a certain member of our community likes to write so if it was up to me, he'd be perm-banned and that may not be fair.
Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to help people mature a little faster so I believe the only way to be rid of most of the flaming is moderation. On the forums and in the paintball servers. Not much can be done about mIRC..kids will be kids.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 09:50:55 PM »
I'm 97% sure I know exactly who Merl is talking about.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »
It seems most of this talk has been focused on the forums.  I don't think that's where the problem is, really.  These forums aren't that bad.  A lot of the stuff seems to leak over from other areas (ie: supertanker vs. cobo on irc, people complaining about how a clan behaved in a match, etc.)  There are a lot of people who post on the forums frequently but rarely play, and a lot more people who play regularly but rarely, if ever, visit the forums.  I think what people complain about most community-wise is what goes on in the servers.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 10:44:09 PM »
the constant flaming over new maps has caught my attention before, instead of saying what is wrong with a map, try giving some suggestions on how to make it better. alot of the maps that have been on here have had great potential, and im sure they worked very hard to make them, and when they try and show them, they dont want useless "this map suck" or "the gameplay will be terrible" when infact noone can tell from a few screenshots.

ive put in my 2 cents worth

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 11:19:45 PM »
Well actually, looking at screenshots can normally judge whether or not the gameplay would be good especially when it comes to the size of the map.

I don't know what goes on in the public servers because I very rarely play on them. However, when I am actually playing some pub I don't really see any arguments at all. The only thing I see are "HACKER HACKER HACKER!" and "LOLZ YOU'RE SUCH A NEWB. LOLZ!" But that only happens once in a while and there is either no response to there retardedness, or they get 1 maybe 2 sarcastic remarks back and it's done with.

In the match servers, when you think of how many matches have taken place over the past 4-5 months, there really hasn't been many complaints at all. For example, Team Insane's record is currently 219-38. That is 257 matches, and overexaggerating I have seen maybe 8-10 complaints on the forums towards something another clan did in a match. ch1ll has made maybe 4 complaints about something another clan has done. And that is only 2 clans. Yes, I know clans like Ij, eR etc. we are having problems with. But other the past 6 months there have been many clans that have been respectable throughout that time period, that I personally and I'm sure many others have not had a problem with. Teams like ch1ll, Insane, eR33t, Redemption, CC, MeMi, DoP when it was stil around, Crossbones, and rP have all had many matches with eachother with minimal problems. Why? We have played this game for a while (most of us) and with the exception of a few of people, are the most mature. Sure there is things here and there that may cause something that another clan doesn't like, but nobody is perfect. It's the clans that are continuously being caught for hacking that is a problem.

I think the childish excrement on the forums (which yes I know I have personally been a part of) and the bullexcrement on IRC is what needs to be fixed to help this community. For me personally, somehow more people that play this game coming on irc and clanning is what is needed most.

As for people being glined on IRC. I agree that taking over channels is the stupidest thing ever. I don't know why people do it. It is pointless. They know they will get glined, it really serves no purpose whatsoever. I have asked people before why they do it, and they said "cause I'm bored and it's funny" Sounds like a great answer to me. Then because they are glined, and they now evade their gline and it's a continuous process until their gline ends and they are off a proxi.

I don't know why I spent the time to type all of that up considering I haven't played this game at all in probably 2 weeks and won't be playing anytime soon. That's what I have seen over the past half-year and that's my opinion.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 11:49:24 PM »
I think what people complain about most community-wise is what goes on in the servers.
Respectfully Jitspoe. What is your suggestions to make it better? My self personally would like to hear and help. Also as important is what My self on sunday and now merl has expressed is a desire for and unbiased moderators. I hate to point again to Americas Army but there forum works as an efffective tool to Improving the community. So does AASA.

I think the childish excrement on the forums (which yes I know I have personally been a part of) and the bullexcrement on IRC is what needs to be fixed to help this community.
TY I agree. What about clans who pick on newbs and leetism? Does that improve the community?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 12:40:02 AM »
im not gonna read all the posts as i dont have tI'me as i have a plane to catch in the morning and i need sleep... with that being said here is what i think

do not make it so only noobs can play on this server and experts can play on this server and mediums can play there. i myself iI'mprob a medium. but i hate playing with my own skill or lower as its no fun "I'm prob more of a high medium" i only really enjoy playing with someone better then me and iI'msure others will agree. if you only played your level you don't get better you just settle.

on another note i think more mods are a must for the forums. things like the first 2 posts should never have happend because they are not helpful in anyway. i also think more strict rules are also needed. to suspend people when they cross a clear line that all the mods agree on. say 1 week for the first 2 weeks for the 2nd a month for the 3rd+.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:53:08 AM by Excalibur »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 12:44:55 AM »
Another lets divide the servers in to classes. Ok. Good suggestion.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 02:01:47 AM »
I'll make this short.

Further dividing the community into "skill levels" is a disaster waiting to happen and could seriously destroy the active community by making it impossible for most veteren players to play besides in matches.. and with the clan scene the way it is, pretty much two to three games a week... that can't be allowed to happen.

Alot of the negative attitude and whatnot of the community stems from certain people believing they are better then everyone else and act like jerks, this is not just in reference to the forums, but irc and servers as well.

Appointing another moderator or two would be a great idea..  I'd nominate KnacK.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »
I'd agree about adding another moderator or two, but you seriously have to be careful in the choice.
Also, it has been said that the paintball community has shifted from public servers to IRC, more or less. When I started playing, not much happened on IRC, but all those "skillful" players that you only get to see in matches nowadays played a lot in public servers back then. Why has that changed? Maybe because there are too many "new players" around now?  I agree that it is not much fun to play 5v5 when there is no challenge, but if all the oldschool players would play on public servers, would that not change? There are so many complaints about those who are not involved in the IRC community, have you ever thought about going to THEM instead of waiting for them to come after YOU? Maybe if not all would talk stuff to the new players, but rather try to integrate them - e.g. form smurf teams and train them - those things would change again. It was much more pleasant to play about 2 years ago than it is now, although nowadays the "style" of my play has changed a lot as well, as I have made progress in this game.
So that's another reason not to create skill-based servers (as they have in warsow), but I guess the community thinks differently, blind of their own misbehaviour as usual :)

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »
The problem with this community is simply that EVERYONE (yes that means you) is immature.  I dont care if you're 45 or if you're 12, I can probubly pull up Logs from IRC that show you acting like a child.  The servers are not a problem, they are there, they get used, any complains are handled by server admins reletivley quickly.  I believe to fix this community would be an extremley difficult task.  People tend to bash on dp because of our immature nature.  If people would just act their age and learn to speak to each other in a respectful manner, everything would get solved.  I'm not trying to ound like a hyprocrit (sp?) here because I too act like a crying 10yr old at times as well. 

This game attracts players with such a vide range in age, if everyone would just act more mature there would be no problems in the community.  Even if the older players (people who have been playing for a long time -or- people who are lets say 18+) should really just act like respectable people and I'm sure the community will improve. 

I'm not trying to place any blame on anyone when i say this, but clans like .ij. and eR and whatever other clans (often refered to as 'newb' clans) are out there like them dont help the community when they spam their channels, try to act like a bunch of hard-asses, complain about hackers every 6 seconds and what not.  As i've said throughout this post, if people would just act their age the community will improve so much.  Let the 12yr olds act like kids and let the older crowd act as if they are respectable people.

As for the forums, they really are not that bad at all.  Sure another moderator would be nice but i think jitspoe does a great job of moving threads and what not when they out of hand.  I believe the whole problem with this counity is not the forums but lies in how we treat each other on irc.  We all have our little 'clicks' of people who we can joke with and say anything and they'll understand its all a joke, but someone else takes it the wrong way and flips out which in turn makes us all look bad.

I think that covered just about everything.  Hope I didnt bore you all to death with my horrible grammar and bad typing skills.

ENJOY!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 12:19:11 PM »
I agree with JOE.  There are so many players who like to take advantage of anonymity on the Internet.  Many people don't use their real screenname when playing so they can be more anonymous with their actions.  It's sad when you can identify a player, not by his name, but by the manner in which he insults other players.  I have hopes that the global login system will at least help things a little bit, as people will be less inclined to act lame under their own name.  It's mostly the responsibility of the individuals who are capbale of acting mature to do so, though.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
... It's mostly the responsibility of the individuals who are capbale of acting mature to do so, though.

I'm in, whatever it takes.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »

... It's mostly the responsibility of the individuals who are capbale of acting mature to do so, though.

Nicely put.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 01:14:44 PM »
Another lets divide the servers in to classes. Ok. Good suggestion.
Bad idea.

Anyways, this game needs more players who can read,write and play decently, not these 10 year old kids who spam there "noob" and "camper" bind's. With the community as small as it is, you know most of the people well enough to easily annoy/make fun of them.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 01:20:54 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:30:32 AM by Dirty_Taco »

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »
Pub play is totally different than match play. The non-stop bind spamming is completely annoying. I for one do not want to type /ignore for every number. Disable color binds, or mm1 binds all together then yeah.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:30:28 AM by Dirty_Taco »

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »
1) Increase the player base.
2) Respectable, caring, and responsible server/forum/irc admins.
3) Others setting an example.
4) Imporving the game.
5) Better maplists: In order for a server to qualify to be an "official" DP server (with global login) it has to run a maplist consisting of any combination of the approved DP maps. These approved DP maps should be chosen by a map selection commitee, or by public vote.

I know I didn't write alot of stuff for most of those things, but I think they speak for themselve.