Author Topic: impersonating cola again.  (Read 7811 times)

postmortem

• Stingray
impersonating cola again.
« on: September 21, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: impersonating cola again.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:03:06 PM »
This kind of thing should be resolved (or at least reduced) once I finish build 17.

postmortem

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
anything going to be done about it now?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:52:39 PM »
Yes good question! What would be justice for this anyways? Beyond what has been tried.

I respect the sense of urgency but a report of the server name and date / time is helpful.

Any idea when this happend and where?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:04:16 PM »
Even if we could get when and where it happened, there's not much we could do after that. About all we can do is look out for impersonators a bit more.

And in what way is this urgent?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:44:55 PM »
What do you propose I do?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:50:26 PM »
Oh, you and the server owner have to figure that out. Loial just helps let you know when such a horrendous crime is being committed. :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:15:05 AM »
Not just "when", but more importantly where! :)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 02:48:57 PM »
i believe the crime of letting people into a clan is why its urgent since we really don't want any new members who suck.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »
WTF SOMEONE IS IMPERSONATING A [CC-R] MEMBER TOO!!!!!!! TODAY IN OUR MATCH SOMEONE DID!!!!! LOOK!!

Session Start: Fri Sep 22 17:25:00 2006
Session Ident: [CC-R]DuDe
<SkateR> hey did u match today
<[CC-R]DuDe> na not today y
<[CC-R]DuDe> yyy
<[CC-R]DuDe> yy
<SkateR> someone faked your name
Session Close: Fri Sep 22 17:25:49 2006

Session Start: Fri Sep 22 17:25:57 2006
Session Ident: [CC-R]DuDe
Session Ident: [CC-R]DuDe (~_CC-R_DuD@dial-1-57.r01.tngnbo.infoave.net)
<[CC-R]DuDe> o really
<[CC-R]DuDe> who did they match
<SkateR> insane
<[CC-R]DuDe> hmm
<[CC-R]DuDe> i was at school
Session Close: Fri Sep 22 17:27:26 2006

GeEz I CuLd OF sWoRN DaT cCr DuDe HaD likE a 400 PiNg BuT diZ cCrDuDe's PiNG wUz lyKe 80. WtF????

Whoever played for them from cc was absolutely terrible. Guessing it was colon or cola.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »
Even if we could get when and where it happened, there's not much we could do after that. About all we can do is look out for impersonators a bit more.

There is plenty we can do if we have the server information.  A server owner can choose to ban the idiot.

Also, learn to read... Loial did NOT imply anything was urgent.  He said "I respect the sense of urgency".  Postmortems's statement could easily be construed as a sense of urgency.

Irregardless. Loial is being respectful in his posts and you guys keep chiming in every chance you get with NON productive, immature remarks and cheap pot shots.  This is why you would NEVER be a good moderator for this forum and if by chance you ever did I'm sure your only audience would eventually be narrowed down to being all the other regular idiots on this forum that continuously attack others on here for self glory or whatever.  I believe there to be 10 or so of you, 5 of which do it daily.

Try growing up a bit and be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
Eiii was right, there probably isn't anything that could be done about it. Many people have dynamic IPs, thus banning that IP used in the past would be of no affect.
Dealing with this impersonation isn't that urgent considering that the global-login is coming soon and will bring an end to these situations.

If someone were to impersonate in a match, their clan shouldn't have lacked the communication that it would require to figure out if the person is legit.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 05:39:28 PM »
Eiii was right, there probably isn't anything that could be done about it. Many people have dynamic IPs, thus banning that IP used in the past would be of no affect.
Dealing with this impersonation isn't that urgent considering that the global-login is coming soon and will bring an end to these situations.

If someone were to impersonate in a match, their clan shouldn't have lacked the communication that it would require to figure out if the person is legit.
they did it on purpose, because they were losing...badly

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »

There is plenty we can do if we have the server information.  A server owner can choose to ban the idiot.

Also, learn to read... Loial did NOT imply anything was urgent.  He said "I respect the sense of urgency".  Postmortems's statement could easily be construed as a sense of urgency.

Irregardless. Loial is being respectful in his posts and you guys keep chiming in every chance you get with NON productive, immature remarks and cheap pot shots.  This is why you would NEVER be a good moderator for this forum and if by chance you ever did I'm sure your only audience would eventually be narrowed down to being all the other regular idiots on this forum that continuously attack others on here for self glory or whatever.  I believe there to be 10 or so of you, 5 of which do it daily.

Try growing up a bit and be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

I'm tired of Loials long, rambling posts that usually accomplish nothing. I did see the respect the sense of urgency thing, and thought about how to interpret that. Since there didn't seem to be a sense of urgency at the time, I assumed he meant that he thought it was urgent.

And to Spook:
People can just put on a tag and be 'in' the clan. You know who's in your clan and who's not. Make sure other people do too.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
Coming soon? LOL. Not soon enough dear sir. Thus the urgency in his request.

I don't expect those that posted indifference to care. You have no vested intrest.  After all its not any of you that is being affected. Just those that care are, which is travesty. Which brings up the point of the admins needing this information so that they care share with other admins.

Most important Jitspoe I know this might be a tough pill to swallow and more work than you need, but consider a global ban on impostors. In this case it is warrented. In  others it might be difficult to prove. We really should consider total banishment from the game / irc / forum if you can not behave. Being nice is not working.

Doug scores!!!

*edit
Your unfounded assumptions and negative attitude to wards anyone who wants to improve the community or worse express an opinion that might benefit another is not understood. I am not saying you don't know what you are talking about. You just have a way of expressing your self in a manor that is not befitting of your intelligence. That was not a flame, just a personal observation from someone who has felt the butt-end of your stick.

What you call pointless others find helpful and sometimes polite. Guess what? I don't post to make you happy. I do it to bring logic and fairness to the game. If anyone has a problem with this go to Jitspoe and ask him to ban me. As he as asked the forum readers to do. Otherwise deal with it and move on. Notice I did not say or move on. I dont want you to quit posting. Just stop being so negative.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:13:37 PM by loial21 »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
The global-login would be considered urgent, not this. this is nub.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 06:01:46 PM »
Most important Jitspoe I know this might be a tough pill to swallow and more work than you need, but consider a global ban on impostors.

...I think there already is, but I'm not sure. And even if one is implemented, there's nothing we can do with this except be on the lookout for Cola impostors. All we have is a screenshot showing someone named [cc]Cola saying 'Anyone wanna join cc?'. No IP address, we could probably figure out what server it's on, no specific time, anything. Even if we did have the specific time, I don't think we could find the IP with that.

TinMan is correct.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »
Most important Jitspoe I know this might be a tough pill to swallow and more work than you need, but consider a global ban on impostors.

...I think there already is, but I'm not sure. And even if one is implemented, there's nothing we can do with this except be on the lookout for Cola impostors. All we have is a screenshot showing someone named [cc]Cola saying 'Anyone wanna join cc?'. No IP address, we could probably figure out what server it's on, no specific time, anything. Even if we did have the specific time, I don't think we could find the IP with that.

TinMan is correct.
But the admins can find this out and take action. Having a date / time and location helps makes this proccess faster. Also I know tinman in correct about the dynamic IP addresses. That is why I might consider a hard IP ban.

going home editing as needed from there.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 06:30:36 PM »
That is why I might consider a hard IP ban.
Hard IP?
Do you mean hardware/mac address? If so, I'm for that. Its still very easily spoofable, but it's just another blockade for the cheaters/impostors to have to get by.