Author Topic: mapping  (Read 11303 times)

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
mapping
« on: March 28, 2004, 09:19:24 PM »
hey were can i get a good mapping program to map for pb. im a newb mapper so it needs to be easy to learn the program. ok i got quark and i just need some help can anyone recomend a good tutriol?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 10:15:51 PM by Excalibur »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: mapping
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 02:46:30 AM »
You can grab BSP off the files page, but unfortunately the original site is gone, so no more tutorials. :(

I plan on writing some at some point.

Darkphyre

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 02:51:30 AM »
It looks like sad has the tutorials on his site... access forbidden though  :(

I'd reccomend getting a copy of worldcraft1.6 and using that instead, it has a cleaner interface and it's still downloadable.. if you can find the site :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 02:52:46 AM by Darkphyre »

Belmont

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:16:05 AM »
http://asp.planetquake.com/dl/dl.asp?worldcraft/wc16shar.exe

Thats the link to download worldcraft 1.6a.

If you need any tools, just let me know.. or join us at #DPMA

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 08:02:47 AM »
Gah, no, the coordinates get all fubared with that editor.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 08:03:35 AM by jitspoe »

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 08:42:14 PM »
ok i got a room done but i cant find out how to look at it when i play quake2 it says cant find file testmap.bsp  help?  maybe a irc #?
also when i go to bsp the map it says "QuArK could not execute this or these programs. you must be shure they are installed on your system and then enter the path to them in the configuration dialog box. Do you want to enter the path now ?" when i click yes i brings up this box and i have no clue what to do to enter the path and stuff.  it happends on all the bsp things so i dont think its that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 12:35:32 AM by Excalibur »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 05:27:41 AM »
for the first one...try putting the map in your maps folder...

"bsp the map"?? what??

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 07:23:44 AM »
Compile.

It all has to do with whatever settings you're using -- not sure how to set it up with quark.  If you grab the BSP files there's a text file that tells you where to put everything.

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 07:45:58 AM »
You need to download the q2 build tools from the quark home page and put them somewhere, then enter that path in the quark setup.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »
nm im not gonna use quark any more i got raident working for q2 and i know that editor. ok i got a friend that dont like raident (or it wont work for him) and he wants to use quark but he is getting the same error thing i was getting and i dont know how to fix it can you help me so i can help him?
"QuArK could not execute this or these programs. you must be shure they are installed on your system and then enter the path to them in the configuration dialog box. Do you want to enter the path now ?"  i got the build tools and extracted them but when i put the path into the quark it says the same thing.

im trying to get him to use qeradient but its not working on his computer if he can only get that it would all fall into place and work fine.   about time i got him to use radient i had to email it to him but it works fine now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 10:37:00 PM by Excalibur »

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 11:13:18 PM »
all i need to know now is if the pb entities come with tex if not were can i get tex that are used for pb if there are any.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 01:48:09 PM by Excalibur »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 02:33:52 AM »
Etrees?  You mean entities?  If you download the bsp pack, it has all the necessary .wal files and a .ent file (You might need to rename it to .c for other editors to pick it up).

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 08:12:47 PM »
ok i got the bsp thing but its gonna take some time to learn it there is no manual for it?  nm i dont think i will need one i was just messing around with it and its really easy once you get started. just one thing i could not find csg subtract or somthing like that help?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:47:22 AM by Excalibur »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 07:07:16 AM »
There is one -- it's one of the buttons along the top -- but CSG subtraction is a bad mapping practice.  The tool you really need to learn is the clipping tool.  Select a brush, then shift+right click.  You can define up to 3 points, which makes a plane.  There are two buttons that look like a blue box with a red \ through them.  One cuts off everything to one side of the plane completely, the other just splits it.  There's one more button to the left of it that looks sort of like <-[|]-> That one switches which side you chop off.  It's kind of like working with a block of cheese and using a knife to slice off chunks.  Once you get the hang of it, it's about the only tool you need.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 05:25:54 PM »
how can i tilt my view? so i can look up at the roof and down on the floor?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:32 PM »
pgup and pgdown, I think.  It's something in that group of keys.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 09:46:19 PM »
ok its home and end thnx
ok i looked for this to how can i make it so every time bsp starts it loads my last project?
and also i go to make a flag and i choose the color but then when i test it i cant see the flag
also if im making a tex that needs to look the right way like a flag tex how can i lock it so it dont move when the brush moves? i tried lock tex.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:17:59 PM by Excalibur »

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 01:49:52 AM »
ahhh please say someone can help i was trying to get a flag from copying the flag they had in the sample map and then my whole map was gone. i managed to get it back but the sky wont show up when i compile the map i get a error     "***** ERROR ****** LoadPortals: could't read c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\test.prt"
and its only my sky that i cant see i have tried dif skies same thing please say someone can help me i would hate to have to scrap this map and start fresh

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 06:27:43 AM »
Does it do this when you just do a plain old "qbsp?"

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 10:51:05 AM »
i think its plain old bsp i dl the bsp from the site.http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/files.html
i can still load the map up but it wont show a sky its just like typing sky poo in the console when your playing on a server. also when the map is launching i get a bunch of stuff that says that couldn't load "such and such server does not have this file" cant read it fast enough. and when i fire my gun it freezes paintball. its not a pb prob cause i can play paintball2 online np i can see the sky game wont freeze when i fire i just dont get it. a friend of mine has a early ver of my map so i might have him send me the older ver so i dont lose all the map and see if that works, but i would still like to fix this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 11:07:47 AM by Excalibur »