Do u think that there should be a new Sazz map

Yes
20 (39.2%)
No
26 (51%)
Maybe
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: New Shazz map please  (Read 20229 times)

coLa

• Autococker
Re: New Shazz map please
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 08:52:31 PM »
don't know if any sazz maps exist....

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 08:53:07 PM »
Shazam maps are really fun to play on, they don't look that nice, but the gameplay is intense. The main reason that I don't want a new one is because I don't like the idea of remaking a map over and over again, some people are addicted to the shazam maps so they are constantly voted for on the pubs, which gets annoying to some people who are tired of the same maps over and over again. I'd like to see Dirty_Taco and all of the other map makers making all new maps, as different as possible from what we already have.
Some with the same great aspects of the shazam series: high open rooms with different levels, huge jumps, places to grab some major speed, areas easy to describe in recon, flags sunken into the deep back of the bases.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »
The only reasonable shazam map is shaz22, and that is not good for anything more then a 3v3, 4v4 is pushing it. Nobody should make another shazam map. We saw the eyesore that was shazam33.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 12:29:02 AM »
*High five Lunatic*

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 01:53:42 AM »
Eyesore? I don't get it what does aesthetics have to do with a shooting a paintball gun at someone? This is a multi-player fps first. You could paint all the textures with bananas for all i care. Oh....yeah. :) Poor aesthetics are still playable and do not hinder the ball flight from point a to point b. 

If you are talking about multiple entrances (good layout) and a anti-indune base. Shaz33 has that as Tinman pointed out.

So if its not the textures or the layout then, what is left to complain about? Your personal opinion? You seem to be out voted on that one.

I also understand that you feel and others rightfully feel that maps are designed with a certain number of players in mind. If you have suggestions on how to control player maximums. Feel free. I don't condone it. It's a fact of life.  One that you can not change. Only improve upon. 

This is not debatable. It is a fact. Having an opinion on why you don't like it is fine and healthy for improving the game. What I don't see are suggestions for improvement, except Tinman's.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
Loial: Eyesore was not the word I was looking for at all, because the look of it isn't my problem at all. I did just mean the map in general. The reason I don't like shazam33 and the other shazams is because, sure there are more then one way in to the base, but they are all coming from the same side (I know shaz22 is like that too, but I just like that map a lot ;)). A map like crimethink for example, has 3 ways to the flag, the left, the right and from the middle tower thing. Shazam33 has 4 entrances to the base, however they are all coming from 1 of the 4 sides of the base, just the left, middle and right of the same "wall" of the base.

And the look of the map does have to do with gameplay, in my opinion. When the maps are all banana textures on April Fools, it is harder to see people so it makes the gameplay more difficult. Although it is equal throughout the community (unless you use modded player models) :p.

That's about it, hopefully you know what I mean when I was talking about the shazam thing, if not I'll try and clarify.

rez

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 10:23:03 AM »
lol. Has anyone ever played shaz22 with luna.  All he does is camp at his base looking low.He doesn't even use 2/3 of the map.  Why he likes it so much i don't know. DT definitely does not need to remake shazam.  We need to delete all shazams (except shazamr) from the servers.  If I had a server, the only map makers i'd put on there would be Goldbond, Calrathan, Darkphyre, Dying Jackal, and S8N.  Everyone else sucks at level design for a paintball game.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 11:27:19 AM »
Um, I don't know what you're talking about considering I rush low 90% of the time in shaz22. Only time I camp is 1v3 and maybe 1v2. But whatever you want to believe is fine with me, sir.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 11:45:32 AM »
Aesthetics have a lot to do with a map.  Sure, some people would be content running around shooting at colored boxes in a textureless environment, but most of us want the game to be at least somewhat immersive.  Good looking maps also help build the player base.  People won't really take a game seriously if the maps look like they were pulled out of a trash bin 10 years ago.

Shazamr does look a little better than shazam, but it's still the same layout.  I think what we need to do instead of having like 20 different versions of the same map is have one map that we continue to improve upon and polish.  Paintball2 now has the provision to handle different maps with the same filename, so it shouldn't be a big issue if a server has the wrong version like it used to be.

On that topic, rez, can you fix the lighting on shazam33 or let me do it?  It really bugs me.  The sun light is at the wrong angle (shining from underneath), so 90+% of the map is just uniformly lit.  Keep the same filename, though.

doughz

• Stingray
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 12:05:41 PM »
Nah rez, dt makes good maps. Summer.bsp and pbcup_renoir are two of my fav maps.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »
i think what people really dont like about shazam33 is the whole "rush really fast and fly through the air into the other base" thing.  I've noticed popluar maps these days have lots of high flying ramp action that can propel you into the other teams base within seconds of the round starting.  Yes, some people may like that, but for those of us who prefer gameplay rather than just the spray and pray technique of most pubbers, shazam33 is definatly not a good map.  I would probubly like it a lot more if there was some more stuff in the middle low, like crates and what not and if that huge jump was blocked off.  This would allow multiple (4) entrances to the base and provide a better more tactical gameplay.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »
Amen.

HELLFIRE

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »
think of it a map called shazzam44

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
lol. Has anyone ever played shaz22 with luna.  All he does is camp at his base looking low.He doesn't even use 2/3 of the map.  Why he likes it so much i don't know. DT definitely does not need to remake shazam.  We need to delete all shazams (except shazamr) from the servers.  If I had a server, the only map makers i'd put on there would be Goldbond, Calrathan, Darkphyre, Dying Jackal, and S8N.  Everyone else sucks at level design for a paintball game.
ironic, because you're SUCH A PRO MAPPER.

HELLFIRE

• PGP
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »
lol i haven't even seen a map made by him :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »
He made shazam33.  Smokey and rez: let's keep the personal attacks out of this thread (and the forum in general).

HELLFIRE

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 03:34:35 PM »
I'm not doing personal attacks  >:(

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »
He made shazam33.  Smokey and rez: let's keep the personal attacks out of this thread (and the forum in general).
He didn't mention you.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2006, 06:33:41 PM »
pub maps and match maps need to have very different qualities. a map which requires teamwork and tactics to win on would make for a pretty poor pub map, yet a brilliant match map.

pub maps are based upon fast and furious action, the aim is to grab and kill, but mostly kill.

I'd like to see more mature maps make their way to pub servers, and this is starting to happen, however its no fun sat in a server all by yourself in pbcup_sassualt because everyone else left the server.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
Perhaps a way  to increase interest in the more complex maps is to build up a strong second-tier clan community.

I don't know much about the clan community here. I have not looked into one at all yet, simply because I doubt the established clans would be interested. But my take as with a lot of games is that you have to be pretty skilled to get into a decently run clan.

A Jr. Clan structure where the stronger clans organize a minor league for lack of a better analogy could build up more interest. It could involve newer players in clans that are still run well, and can make a larger recruitment base for the clan scene.

The forums here could also make a team  structure where teams of 5 compete in a ladder, etc.

Anyway, some thoughts. As it is putting the "better" maps on servers doesn't solve the problem. As mentioned above people just go find the server that has the map they want.