Do u think that there should be a new Sazz map

Yes
20 (39.2%)
No
26 (51%)
Maybe
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: New Shazz map please  (Read 20237 times)

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: New Shazz map please
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:15 PM »
Actually Smokey, Uni made shazam33.  But then again, not everyone can be such a good mapper as you.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »

i do remember uni flipping out when people said he made it.

good try dark.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 04:37:45 AM »
As it is putting the "better" maps on servers doesn't solve the problem. As mentioned above people just go find the server that has the map they want.

Very insightful analogy. Nice to meet you. It seems you have a perspective that is untainted by elitism and welcomed by me. Please feel free to point out any fallacies in my remarks below. There will be many to choose from. :)

Jits,
Here we are again. I understand your logic and to 100% completely agree with it but at the same time can't.

Here is why.

Some players like pinto beans fully cooked and served with white bread.

Some players like heavily seasoned pan fried veal chops in a Gorgonzola / Chardonnay / roasted garlic and minced chalets / tomatoes sauce topped with prosciutto di parma & white truffles and lastly covered with smoked provolone. Then slow cooked for 25 minutes at no more than 200 degrees then tossed over  bow-tie pasta with fresh basil, peeled and diced tomatoes then sprinkle with lemon. Then chilled overnight. Then re-heat for 25 min in broiler or until cheese is slightly browned and sauce is bubbling. Or to put into context 'a perfect map' by your standards.

We all agree with out debate on which meal is more savory, complex and immerses the eater. Oh did I forget you don't like meat?

Actually I did (sorry), but now that I think about it, this further perpetuates and help accentuates my point.

So I guess it will be the the beans ehh?

As it is putting the "better" maps on servers doesn't solve the problem. As mentioned above people just go find the server that has the map they want.
Like a meal with out meat.

God dammit I digressed.

Good night.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2006, 09:18:28 AM »
Hahaha I'm hungry? Eatible maps?? Hmmmmm heh

rez

• PGP
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 09:46:07 AM »
Nah rez, dt makes good maps. Summer.bsp and pbcup_renoir are two of my fav maps.
I never said dt was a bad mapper.  I personally don't enjoy playing his maps for paintball.  He needs to be mapping for counterstrike.  A real remake job for dt would be to remake 2fort5 as seen in team fortress

I'd like to see more mature maps make their way to pub servers, and this is starting to happen, however its no fun sat in a server all by yourself in pbcup_sassualt because everyone else left the server.

Jitspoe, you can do anything you want with my map.  I just copied and pasted DJ's lighting from mirrorr. 

Smokey, when did I call myself a pro mapper? I didn't include myself in that list.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 11:29:53 AM »
another post by loial i will never understand.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:31 PM »

Very insightful analogy. Nice to meet you. It seems you have a perspective that is untainted by elitism and welcomed by me. Please feel free to point out any fallacies in my remarks below. There will be many to choose from. :)

Jots,
Here we are again. I understand your logic and to 100% completely agree with it but at the same time can't.

Here is why.

Some players like pinto beans fully cooked and served with white bread.

Some players like heavily seasoned pan fried veal chops in a Gorgonzola / Chardonnay / roasted garlic and minced chalets / tomatoes sauce topped with prosciutto DI par ma & white truffles and lastly covered with smoked provolone. Then slow cooked for 25 minutes at no more than 200 degrees then tossed over  bow-tie pasta with fresh basil, peeled and diced tomatoes then sprinkle with lemon. Then chilled overnight. Then re-heat for 25 min in broiler or until cheese is slightly browned and sauce is bubbling. Or to put into context 'a perfect map' by your standards.

We all agree with out debate on which meal is more savory, complex and immerses the eater. Oh did I forget you don't like meat?

Actually I did (sorry), but now that I think about it, this further perpetuates and help accentuates my point.

So I guess it will be the the beans eh?

Like a meal with out meat.

God dammit I digressed.

Good night.

Vegetarian here myself :) 

I like just about all the maps I have played. And it frustrates me when people leave a map that looks fun. But the truth is that people like what they like. You can deal with it or pretend otherwise, but they will vote with their actions.

Perhaps what we need is three servers with decent international ping dedicated to particular maps. One could play  propaint all the time, one could play  the Shaz maps in rotation, and one could play airtime or similar maps.

Or just a server or two that only play Shaz, airtime and propaint would work about the same.

Then the others can be set to include the best match maps. Whatever folks want, they can get, without the wait or griping. And if no one wants the match maps, then perhaps they can be left primarily to clan action.

As to my earlier suggestion, I don't quite understand how the pro-paint ladder works (it appears to be a clan ladder). But it seems to be stalling due to lack of clans, and disparity among the existing ones.

A ladder that  had teams of 3 competing  on match maps might be a good way to get lots of folks involved. 

You could do what they do in municipal sports leagues and  have a pro league and a recreation league. If you feel you are not up to the pro league you still get exposure to the fun and the maps by playing in the rec league. And since the teams are small you could have more of them, and not be limited to only a few clans that will participate.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 03:41:02 PM »
another post by loial i will never understand.

I think his point was that good maps, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.

Some want fast action, big jumps and gun-blazing rushes. Others want strategy, team play etc.

A good map is not a good map to all. So if you insist on offering gourmet to the fast food crowd you will go out of business.

HELLFIRE

• PGP
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »
wtf do u mean fast food guests  ???

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
People have different tastes. That is what it means.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »
I'm more concerned with the visuals, myself.  Shazam and shazamr, for example, are both the same map.  They just look different.  So why do we have two map files?  I think it would be better to fix the existing maps and keep the same filename so we don't have a bunch of junk cluttering the map directories.  If you've ever downloaded CS maps, you know just how bad it can get, "mapname", "mapname_final", "mapname_v2", "mapname_final_v2", "mapname_v2_final", "mapname2", etc.  All the same map, but you have no clue which is the right version to use.

As for fast food vs. gourmet, most people that eat fast food eat it because it's cheap and convenient, not because they prefer the taste of it.  Since people don't have to pay for maps, I don't see any reason why there would be an objection to making them look nicer.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
I thought the issue was gameplay?

I don't mind a good looking map.

But the established players are not leaving the server over aesthetics. They are leaving because they don't like the match maps. (It is true that some new players to the game will be turned off by ugly maps).

And since loial21 mentioned elitism, I think part could be that some people don't like match maps because they will have to learn something new and might get whooped for a few rounds. And that doesn't look good. Or they don't get to use the jumps they practiced as much etc. There are tons of camping spots on some of the match maps I have seen, so new players can bring down the big boys easier :)

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 10:21:37 AM »
.. i got what he meant after reading like the first couple of lines. but I'm saying loial has a weird way of saying what he really means. and its usually a super long post.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2006, 09:49:23 PM »
Its ok Cola I my self don't like super long weird things.   ::)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »
I agree having tons of map files for the same map is a bad idea. I haven't found too much of that so far--though I have encountered a lot of docks variants for some reason.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
I agree having tons of map files for the same map is a bad idea. I haven't found too much of that so far--though I have encountered a lot of docks variants for some reason.

sadly, rofl.

F3AR

• VM-68
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2006, 09:22:58 PM »
I have to be truthfull, maps such as Shazam and PP1 are what got me into this game, as you play longer you start to like the more strategic maps.

Basically just give the people some time, sooner or later the people are going to join a clan and start to appreciate the better maps.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2006, 09:48:34 PM »
Ij still uses airtimefor their match map... tR uses rome, pp2, or antioch for theirs. I find that very sad.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »
bah, I dont want to hear it.  QBalls used midnight and every clan but er33t boogered.  Its all a matter of familiarity with maps and playing styles, so certain clans pick some maps over others..  I could go into detail, but there are enough flames on this forum, so I'll leave it up to someone else.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2006, 12:54:46 AM »
I can do it! With fewer flames than most other name brand flamers. In fact 50% percent less. Guaranteed.

:o
Ahem,

Lets first assume the battlefield or map is done correctly regarding nothing effecting game physics, player and or sever-side exists. I formed this opinion along time ago growing up play competitive sports and academics.

When confronted in a winning or losing scenario, which we play in. From debaters to lacrosse players not one complaint about the conditions of the scenario. Not one person went to a committee or ref and ask to have the freaking map changed because it was a freaking newb debate or a newb big 12 basketball team. You freaking went out and FREAKING TRIED TO WIN!! Or not lose. In my case :(

Most of all we enjoy what we were doing, because this is Freaking America Buddie!!! We got choices here, dammit!!! Two of them infact.

" Indians, Deal or no Deal."  >:( Awe wtf thats messed up.

I thought he was going to say love it or leave it. Loial you suck!!!

God I hate what America did before civil liberties and hate what it is becoming, a bunch or whiny lazy 18-24 younglings who's main goal is, toss each other privates online the longest rather than learning how to toss a ball more than 20 yards.

You see my generation is perfect I .....am digressing again, perfect.

I am out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:19:45 AM by loial21 »