Author Topic: Lets Set A Standard - Distribute .Loc files with your maps.  (Read 3985 times)

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
Lets Set A Standard - Distribute .Loc files with your maps.
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:23:09 PM »
Jitspoe added .loc support into dp a while ago, and so far it has been relatively forgotten. The only person I have seen use it is myself and S8N. I imagine that this is because people find it challenging to make .locs.

I will explain how to make one for any maps. To start out making a .loc go into your map. For this purpose of this demonstration I will use propaint1.

We will only really need 3 basic commands. loc_add, loc_save, and $loc_here. Before you start type cl_drawlocs 1 in the console, this will display a grey diamond where you have added a location. Whichever location you are near than that diamond will bounce.

The first command, loc_add, is the main command. First I wanted to start with the blue spawn rooms on propaint1. I stood in a spawn room and in the console I typed

Code: [Select]
loc_add "spawn room" I then type "$loc_here" in the console, and sure enough in mm1 it displayed "Spawn room". I continued down from the spawn room and onto the flag, I stood there and typed
loc_add "flag"A new diamond popped up and that was set as my current location.

Because of the way DP figures out your location, if you are on the barrels in your base, and the only location you have added is the flag, it will say that you are at the flag no matter what. It is important to mark perimeters of certain items.

In the image below the green dots represent location's with the description "base", the pink dots represent locations with "ladder 1" (or 2), and red dots represent locations with the description of "backdoor barrels". You have to make a perimeter of descriptions around certain locations.

After you add all your locations throughout the map type "loc_save", it will then save your .loc file into your locs folder of your dp install. Tah dah, were done. Attached below is a demo and loc file for propaint1.

The Loc File:
http://upload.arena-zone.com/315815

The Demo File:
http://upload.arena-zone.com/240264

Enjoy

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Lets Set A Standard - Distribute .Loc files with your maps.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:46:12 PM »
I need to tweak the loc system a bit so it won't select locations that are behind walls simply because they are closer.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
ROFL. Just noticed what the blue barrels are shaped like.  :P

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:47:53 PM »
Jitspoe: the perimeter method works fine for now, so its really not that big of a problem. And tinman, yeah I relized that when I was doing the drawing, but it had to be accurate :P

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:00:26 PM »
Very good job Thomas.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 09:39:01 PM »
I dont understand how it will actually help ingame. what do you mean by 'recon' key. please respond here because i got glined from irc.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
I was about to respond. But then this....

i got glined from irc.

Son that is not a badge of pride.

Press a button and it reports your position 'hopefully' in mm2.

Your welcome.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 09:56:13 PM »
I dont understand how it will actually help ingame. what do you mean by 'recon' key. please respond here because i got glined from irc.
LOL, what did you do?

Anyways, gj tom!11

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 11:54:37 PM »
by recon key i mean you bind a key to "say_team $loc_here" and then insteda of $loc_here it says the nearest location you are at.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 08:02:17 AM »
by recon key i mean you bind a key to "say_team $loc_here" and then insteda of $loc_here it says the nearest location you are at.

Drat! That's what it's really for? I thought it was to help the ACEBots navigate maps.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
Because ACEBots TOTALLY know what 'Purple Low Spawn' means. ;)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »
well... you never know.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
I understand it all except for the bind part. On pp1 i did "bind l say_team $loc_here" and all it did when i hit l was say the location i was at when i ORIGINALLY hit binded the key. Like if i was at blue cat when i did that bind, it would say blue cat where ever i was.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 05:36:40 PM »
Here is a demo of what happened

http://upload.arena-zone.com/62043

Note: a little way in the 10 seconds thing happened =(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
That's because when you're binding it, it's setting the bind to the value of $loc_here.  Try binding it to $loc_here and see what happens, or put quotes around it if you didn't.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »
Could you give me an example of how to bind it. I dont understand the difference of the 2. I tried " " too.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:58:04 AM »
I used to have a bind for $loc_here and $loc_there. Unfortunately, I can't remember, what you had to bind it to, though.
I'll see if I can find it somewhere else, stored in some subdirectories or whatever.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 02:01:27 AM »
what you actually have to do is the following:  first bind the current location to $loc_here, then print $loc_here out (I think that's what jitspoe tried to say in the first sentence there). I use the following command:

"$loc_here; say_team I AM $loc_here"

try to bind that to a key, it should work.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:05:39 AM »
Also possible:

bind <key> say_team "$loc_here" or
bind <key> say_team "$loc_there"
$loc_here displays your current position, whereas $loc_there displays the next location in your field of view.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 06:49:40 AM »
Yeah bitmate's method will work fine, as thats what I posted up at the top. And the $loc_there command would be cool if it would display where you were aiming at or where you had your crosshair on.